Gots Cs in Orgo and Physics 1. What should I do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cruz3r

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I ended up getting Cs in orgo 1, orgo 2, and physics 1. On the brighter side, I made an improvement by getting a B in physics 2. As of now, my gpa is around 3.68 (including college transfer credits from high school and also 2 Bs from microbio and a pharmacology class). BCPM is 3.51. I was wondering if I should retake any of the classes I got Cs in? I don't know if the "lack of improvement" in orgo would be seen as a red flag? And then also, my physics 1 class is 5-credits, which was a big factor in dropping my gpa.

Also, with this situation, I don't know if it is a good idea to stick with the normal 4-year graduation or graduate early. Since I came into college with so many transfer credits, it is definitely doable for me to graduate next spring (3 years). In this scenario, I think all As can be manageable since I've taken most of the harder classes already. So, I could probably end up with a 3.7 GPA. If I do normal graduation, I can still manage As along with the possibility of retaking the classes I got Cs in; I could probably get a 3.8.

Also, I haven't taken the MCAT or Biochem yet, so maybe, if I was successful with those, I don't need to worry about retaking anymore?

Members don't see this ad.

I have a lot of questions with calculating GPA. I didn't know we had to do this ourselves, so it's been a bit confusing or maybe I'm just overthinking things lol. Thank you in advance!!

1) My school goes by an A/B/C/D grading scale. For calculating gpa, can I just refer to that? Or would I have to also account for +/-? My transcript only states the A, B, etc so if I would need to go by A+/B- type of calculations, I don't know how to access that information ... maybe Canvas lol.
2) I took dual enrollment courses in high school and got transfer credit. I know that we have to include that in our gpa calculations, but what grading scale do we go by? My university's or the community college? What if the grading scales are different? How would calculating the cumulative work?
3) Are there separate GPAs for each school you attended that you need to calculate?
4) If your university accepted AP credit, how do you calculate that for GPA?
5) I'm a biology major, so a lot of the courses I take are listed as BIOL. Does that mean they would all be included in the sGPA calculation? I'm just wondering for certain types of major classes, like I took a biology independent study at a research lab and got a grade for it. Would a capstone also be included in the calculation?
6) Lastly, P/F courses aren't included in the calculation?

Members don't see this ad :)
I have a lot of questions with calculating GPA. I didn't know we had to do this ourselves, so it's been a bit confusing or maybe I'm just overthinking things lol. Thank you in advance!!

1) My school goes by an A/B/C/D grading scale. For calculating gpa, can I just refer to that? Or would I have to also account for +/-? My transcript only states the A, B, etc so if I would need to go by A+/B- type of calculations, I don't know how to access that information ... maybe Canvas lol.
2) I took dual enrollment courses in high school and got transfer credit. I know that we have to include that in our gpa calculations, but what grading scale do we go by? My university's or the community college? What if the grading scales are different? How would calculating the cumulative work?
3) Are there separate GPAs for each school you attended that you need to calculate?
4) If your university accepted AP credit, how do you calculate that for GPA?
5) I'm a biology major, so a lot of the courses I take are listed as BIOL. Does that mean they would all be included in the sGPA calculation? I'm just wondering for certain types of major classes, like I took a biology independent study at a research lab and got a grade for it. Would a capstone also be included in the calculation?
6) Lastly, P/F courses aren't included in the calculation?
I have merged your post with your this other thread of yours.

You don’t have to calculate your GPA yourself as AMCAS does it when you submit your app. Since you are not there yet and are just keeping track of your progress, this is the grade conversion worksheet they provide to let you calculate it on your own:

GPA’s are by year, and since you did dual enrollment, those will be put in the high school year on the GPA chart for AMCAS (an example was included in the above link). If you have a downward trend and most of your good grades were from dual enrollment, it would probably be best to graduate in 4 years instead of early.

AP credit and P/F courses are not included in the calculation since no grade was assigned. Yes, all your biology courses count.

Reactions: 1 user
Do not retake Cs.

Do better in remaining classes

Okay, will do! Would it still be possible to be successful in biochem despite my grades with orgo?

Last edited:
I have merged your post with your this other thread of yours.

You don’t have to calculate your GPA yourself as AMCAS does it when you submit your app. Since you are not there yet and are just keeping track of your progress, this is the grade conversion worksheet they provide to let you calculate it on your own:

GPA’s are by year, and since you did dual enrollment, those will be put in the high school year on the GPA chart for AMCAS (an example was included in the above link). If you have a downward trend and most of your good grades were from dual enrollment, it would probably be best to graduate in 4 years instead of early.

AP credit and P/F courses are not included in the calculation since no grade was assigned. Yes, all your biology courses count.
Thank you so much! That's good to hear! I was getting worried about calculating it for the app. Do you also think I should just stick with my 3Cs or try to retake them? I'm also kind of worried with graduating in 4 years, I might be running out of classes to take? So should I take up a minor? Or just take more of my major's electives lol.

Thank you so much! That's good to hear! I was getting worried about calculating it for the app. Do you also think I should just stick with my 3Cs or try to retake them? I'm also kind of worried with graduating in 4 years, I might be running out of classes to take? So should I take up a minor? Or just take more of my major's electives lol.
Don’t retake C’s. Take more upper division science electives.

Reactions: 1 user