GPA:3.36, MCAT: 29, chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mdoublec

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Letters from:
1 science professor
1 non-science professor
Research professor
Work supervisor

Work experience:
-MCAT instructor (make my own lesson plans, teach a four-hour class)
-University catering (3 years, promotion every year, now a student supervisor and bartender)

Extra-curriculars
-Research lab (3 years, all clinical and all based on interacting with patients)
-Volunteering (100+ hours at two different hospitals)
-Emergency medical services (not EMT, just CPR-certified)

Am still lacking shadowing experience/letter from a doctor, but I'm currently calling a lot of doctors in my area.

My GPA started off as a 3.0 for the first 3 semesters, but after that, when I decided to actually pursue medicine, my GPA has been consistently around a 3.5.

What are my chances?

Members don't see this ad.

How much school do you have left? You want your overall GPA to be close to 3.5 if not over.
As it stands, you have a very low chance at MD, but a good shot at DO.
You may also need 1 more science letter, unless you've verified that your research will count as one.
Your ECs are not spectacular. Any leadership roles or unique passions? Something that will make you stand out?

Also, no offense, but how are you teaching the MCAT with a 29? I thought they looked for people who scored 35+ to teach MCAT classes.

Yeah dude, I might leave the MCAT tutoring off the application... As for your "stats", to be blunt and save you load of time, money, and stress I wouldn't even look at MD unless you can do some massive improvements on both your GPA and MCAT. I know that's not what you want to hear and of course there are exceptions, but the harsh reality is that unless you've done something absolutely incredible like discover a disease it'll be a fruitless and expensive venture. With a 3.93 GPA and 31 MCAT I only just got accepted to mid-level school off the wait-list today after 2 years of trying. I also have a journal publication to my name, lots of research experience, and was a varsity athlete through undergrad. I thought I was golden, but the application process will open your eyes a bit. Everyone has awesome applications.

I'd consult an application advisor like Dr. Jessica Freedman at MedEdits.com if you have some money. I only used her service for post-interview letters but she's pretty amazing at what she does and I think she offer a free 15 minute consult. Another option is the Caribbean or Ireland (anywhere foreign). I just finished my 1st term of MD at St. George's University in Grenada. There are a few people with similar stats as you in the class and they're really running with the opportunity. A lot of people think it's too big a risk, but a majority of grads get American residencies and we have amazing profs. A lot of them taught at Ivey league schools and we have a ton of visiting professors from Ivey league schools as well. The anatomy director is the primary author on the the gray's anatomy review book and I've been taught by most of the writers of gray's and netter's. I'm sad to leave it.

Sorry if my comments were too harsh, but I'm a little hardened by the process. Good luck and get your application in on the very first day that the AMCAS cycle starts accepting apps (June 1st maybe?). It can make or break your apps. Cheers.

Members don't see this ad :)
MD chances pretty low. Try your state school, if you have one, and only the lowest of the low tiers, like NYMC and Rosy Franklin. Bright side is you're fine for any MD program.

Letters from:
1 science professor
1 non-science professor
Research professor
Work supervisor

Work experience:
-MCAT instructor (make my own lesson plans, teach a four-hour class)
-University catering (3 years, promotion every year, now a student supervisor and bartender)

Extra-curriculars
-Research lab (3 years, all clinical and all based on interacting with patients)
-Volunteering (100+ hours at two different hospitals)
-Emergency medical services (not EMT, just CPR-certified)

Am still lacking shadowing experience/letter from a doctor, but I'm currently calling a lot of doctors in my area.

My GPA started off as a 3.0 for the first 3 semesters, but after that, when I decided to actually pursue medicine, my GPA has been consistently around a 3.5.

What are my chances?

Thanks for the responses guys. I pretty much figured MD was out of the question. But how are my chances for DO?

And I applied for the MCAT instructor position, got an interview, and got it... So not really sure how to answer your question huskydock haha

Thanks for the responses guys. I pretty much figured MD was out of the question. But how are my chances for DO?

And I applied for the MCAT instructor position, got an interview, and got it... So not really sure how to answer your question huskydock haha

Lol... Are you serious? What company do you instruct for?....

Yeah dude, I might leave the MCAT tutoring off the application... As for your "stats", to be blunt and save you load of time, money, and stress I wouldn't even look at MD unless you can do some massive improvements on both your GPA and MCAT. I know that's not what you want to hear and of course there are exceptions, but the harsh reality is that unless you've done something absolutely incredible like discover a disease it'll be a fruitless and expensive venture. With a 3.93 GPA and 31 MCAT I only just got accepted to mid-level school off the wait-list today after 2 years of trying. I also have a journal publication to my name, lots of research experience, and was a varsity athlete through undergrad. I thought I was golden, but the application process will open your eyes a bit. Everyone has awesome applications.

I'd consult an application advisor like Dr. Jessica Freedman at MedEdits.com if you have some money. I only used her service for post-interview letters but she's pretty amazing at what she does and I think she offer a free 15 minute consult. Another option is the Caribbean or Ireland (anywhere foreign). I just finished my 1st term of MD at St. George's University in Grenada. There are a few people with similar stats as you in the class and they're really running with the opportunity. A lot of people think it's too big a risk, but a majority of grads get American residencies and we have amazing profs. A lot of them taught at Ivey league schools and we have a ton of visiting professors from Ivey league schools as well. The anatomy director is the primary author on the the gray's anatomy review book and I've been taught by most of the writers of gray's and netter's. I'm sad to leave it.

Sorry if my comments were too harsh, but I'm a little hardened by the process. Good luck and get your application in on the very first day that the AMCAS cycle starts accepting apps (June 1st maybe?). It can make or break your apps. Cheers.

1. With those stats you must have either had a red flag in your app, applied really late, or applied to the wrong schools.

2. Ivey?? lol wut

OP unless you are a URM or live in a very noncompetitive state, your chances are very low with your current stats and ECs.

You basically have 2 options:

A. do a post-bacc year or SMP and get good grades then apply
B. apply DO

I've always wondered why some people would rather go Caribbean than DO. With your stats you would have been a shoo-in at a DO school and wouldn't have had to go through the cycle 3 times.

Thanks! The catch is I'm Canadian. We don't even have DOs and a lot of the DO programs I looked at required a letter from a practicing DO. There wasn't one I could find between me and the border. Although, many of my American friends down here were accepted at DOs and stigma made them choose foreign MD instead. Coming back from SGU to the states doesn't seem too bad though, as long as you are in the top half of the class and have solid USMLEs.

2. Ivey?? lol wut

Haha whoops "Ivy", I went to a business school called Ivey before pre-med and I always mix them up as a result. But I agree, must either have been a flag somewhere, that fact that I did apply late the first time around (had to get those Canadian apps in first), or that I'm Canadian. Not being in-state or even in country limits your options considerably. The list of schools that have a record of accepting non-Americans is pretty short.