GPA too low?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hungobungobug

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
My undergrad gpa was a 3.52 - this was 4 years ago. since then, i worked a pharmaceutical research company for 2 years, then started to get a dual masters (MPH in global health and MPA in health admin) which i will finish in may 2022. my gpa for the dual masters is 3.95 and with few classes i know it'll likely stay that high. Currently also working in admin at mount sinai (close to 2 years for this as well). Will also have an additional year of work experience under my belt after graduation.

I am currently studying for the MCAT, and know it is important to knock it out of the park to overcome my undergrad gpa and years out of hard science work.

i'm wondering though if even this will be enough to counter my lower/average gpa? i know considerations are also different for nontrad applicants. thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Please go look at AAMC admissions statistics for your GPA

I got into Med school with an overall GPA lower than yours with a similar amount of work experience. I took about 50 hours of science courses and did well on them and it seemed to dissuade any concerns admins had about my older academic performance.

Your graduate GPA won’t matter.

Members don't see this ad :)
I got into Med school with an overall GPA lower than yours with a similar amount of work experience. I took about 50 hours of science courses and did well on them and it seemed to dissuade any concerns admins had about my older academic performance.

Your graduate GPA won’t matter.
So are you saying I’d likely need to retake science courses? Even if I did really well on the MCAT?

So are you saying I’d likely need to retake science courses? Even if I did really well on the MCAT?
I didn’t retake a lot of classes. I took higher level science courses. It helped raise my science GPA and provide recent evidence that I could handle difficult course loads.

If you look at this chart, your chances are pretty good if you get a 510+ with your current GPA (assuming that 3.5 is your science one as well). You by no means have to and your GPA isn’t deadly, but if the schools you’re targeting have higher GPAs, it may be worth to take a couple of science courses to boost your recent GPA.

You're below average but not that far below. I know quite a few people who got into medical school with GPAs like yours or lower. You're also right on the DO average. I don't think you need to retake any class that you got a C or higher in.

Kevin W, MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors