Grad Degree, A&P Professor, Low MCAT 23

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SmartiePants

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am applying to DO schools from North Carolina to Georgia.

My Overall GPA is 3.56, Science 3.31, MCAT 23.
Retaking the MCAT in 2 weeks.
Georgia Resident.

I have a graduate degree (cum laude) and a Biology Degree (Summa Cum Laude) and have taught Anatomy and Phys at a local college for the last year.

I am also in private practice in another healthcare profession for the last year.

Great letters of Recommendation and 100 hours shadowing a DO.

What are my chances?

Members don't see this ad.

If you apply to schools like ACOM, PCOM-GA, LMU-DCOM and such, I think you'll manage to get accepted into one of them, but if you're looking to go to a better school, it's not going to happen. Come back with the retake for a new assessment.

Members don't see this ad :)
if you do not care where you go, you do not need to retake, but if you want a more established school then you should.

Apply early (as in soon!) and broadly. Definitely apply to the 3 new schools (ACOM, MUCOM, CUSOM), along with others. Look at average stats for schools to help figure out your where-to-apply list. The more schools you apply to, the better your chance. (I know a lot of people who applied to 20+ schools.) A 23 MCAT is not a death sentence, but does make things more difficult. Try to do better this time around! Good luck! :luck:

Apply early (as in soon!) and broadly. Definitely apply to the 3 new schools (ACOM, MUCOM, CUSOM), along with others. Look at average stats for schools to help figure out your where-to-apply list. The more schools you apply to, the better your chance. (I know a lot of people who applied to 20+ schools.) A 23 MCAT is not a death sentence, but does make things more difficult. Try to do better this time around! Good luck! :luck:

Thanks Buddy the Elf! My AACOMAS application is ready to go. I am applying to those three schools plus VCOM-CC, PCOM-GA, LMU, KYCOM, and WVSOM.

I'm hoping my 1+ years of practice in a clinical setting, 100 hours shadowing a DO, and my one year of teaching Anatomy on the undergrad level will overshadow my low initial MCAT. I am re taking the MCAT but the new score will not show on my primary application.