Grade trends

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chill3

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I know this has been discussed before, but I was hoping to get some case specific advice especially when it comes to setting up a school list.

I have a 3.5 which is obviously on the low end of many MD program's gpa spectrum. However, this is brought down significantly by a very poor freshman semester (2.3). All subsequent semesters were in the range of 3.60 - 3.9 with the best semesters coming at the end.

I guess what I was wondering is will I be viewed as a standard applicant with a 3.5gpa (MCAT: 34) or do I have some hope in the face that without that bad semester I would be looking at around 3.68cgpa?

I know even with the trend I'm not looking at any top schools, but I am worried about even getting any MD program when 3.5 is below many school's avrg.

Also, I am currently in a hired research role for the next two years as I apply. Would there be any benefit to doing a post bacc or masters? The financial burden of that route has kept me from pursuing it previously, but if it would help I may be able to work something out.

Thanks for the advice.

Members don't see this ad.

So I know this has been discussed before, but I was hoping to get some case specific advice especially when it comes to setting up a school list.

I have a 3.5 which is obviously on the low end of many MD program's gpa spectrum. However, this is brought down significantly by a very poor freshman semester (2.3). All subsequent semesters were in the range of 3.60 - 3.9 with the best semesters coming at the end.

I guess what I was wondering is will I be viewed as a standard applicant with a 3.5gpa (MCAT: 34) or do I have some hope in the face that without that bad semester I would be looking at around 3.68cgpa?

I know even with the trend I'm not looking at any top schools, but I am worried about even getting any MD program when 3.5 is below many school's avrg.

Also, I am currently in a hired research role for the next two years as I apply. Would there be any benefit to doing a post bacc or masters? The financial burden of that route has kept me from pursuing it previously, but if it would help I may be able to work something out.

Thanks for the advice.

Your GPA is fine paired with your good MCAT score. If you have Cs or below in prereqs you may want to check with the schools you want to apply to to see if you should retake just those courses. Otherwise, concentrate on your job and other ECs.

Your GPA is fine for any low-medium tier program, and I think there will be plenty of AdComs that like the rising trend. So rock the MCAT and apply boradly, and you'll be fine.

Thanks for the advice.