grades in high school

Even though high school marks don't matter, there's still an obvious correlation between high school grades and university/college grades.

If you're a consistent C or D student, you should probably re-evaluate your chances of being successful enough in your post secondary education to gain a medical school admission, never mind succeeding in medical school itself.

For a pre-med student you sure got guts to say such things :laugh:
Ever heard the expression, "from rags to riches"??? That can also be applied to academics and school aswell. You can be a failing don't give a crap student at one level and start passing and caring at another. No condition is permanent.

Members don't see this ad.

Defeatist has a point that not everyone will be able to make it during college and then in medical school, though some people can turn it around if their grades are low for external factors.

Although they dont matter, good habits are a key to success.

Members don't see this ad :)
Unfortunately, study habits in high school don't translate terribly well to anything but the most basic of college classes. It's more the willingness to do whatever you need to do to succeed that's useful.

Even though high school marks don't matter, there's still an obvious correlation between high school grades and university/college grades.

If you're a consistent C or D student, you should probably re-evaluate your chances of being successful enough in your post secondary education to gain a medical school admission, never mind succeeding in medical school itself.
Ummm, i would beg to differ. High school differs to much from college to make that assumption. People grow, and people change.

The thing is ...high school is hard because theres so much to do and you have to wake up early in the morning while studying late at night until 12AM. While in college, you have alot of freetime. Free time that can be used equally (partying, studying, etc)

The thing is ...high school is hard because theres so much to do and you have to wake up early in the morning while studying late at night until 12AM. While in college, you have alot of freetime. Free time that can be used equally (partying, studying, etc)
I would say highschool provided me with plenty of free time, and never did i stay up until 12am studying. Have I done it in college. Yes.

Who studies til midnight in high school? I can think of a few times I did that when I had AP papers due or something, but that's about it.

Well you make high school seem worse than college :laugh: I think it's a bit stressful sometimes, but I recently visited a university and spent the night there learning about chemistry...the Chemistry majors I spoke with said it was very challenging (staying till 2 AM in labs and getting a few hours of sleep until the next day), but it's also very rewarding. Sure they get more free time, but it can't be all daisies.

You should have ample amount of time in college to both study and relax. Many college students canabalize their time by sleeping a lot and/or "hanging out", so they feel rushed when they actually have to work. Free time should be enjoyed, because you won't have as much once you leave college.

High school grades/experience only mean as much as you want them to mean. I never studied in high school, never did any homework whatsoever, slept in all my morning classes religiously, took primarily art classes whenever possible, and graduated somewhere above a 2.5. I decided I could do better in college and put high school behind me. I learned how to study, take notes, do homework regularly, etc etc freshman year of college (not a cc, btw) and I recently graduated with a 3.65 BS in biomed with a double minor in chemistry and psychology. I also participated in a number of clubs, research, tutoring, community service, sports, etc etc. like most students striving to get into medschool.
What I did in high school did not limit me nor make my life easier in the least. So if you did crappy in high school, don't let that drag you down. Similarly, if you kicked butt in high school, don't get pretentious. The next 4 years aren't based on what you've done, but rather what you will soon do.

your high school experience is complete ****. The only thing useful from high school is getting into college ... other than that it's as useful as utensils to a quadrapeligic. Just about everything you learn in high school doesn't help in college. Same with med school, everything you learn in college is just about as worthless. Anything relevant is covered in a day or two.