Graduate courses (1-2 courses for graduate credit) to allay GPA concerns?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

StressfulMD

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a college grad with a middling GPA (3.6 cGPA, 3.5 sGPA) and am applying next cycle. My old university's advisors (members of their premed committee) have suggested taking 1 or 2 upper level science courses at the graduate level to mitigate GPA concerns. On AMCAS, it'd also appear as a 4.0 on the 'Graduate' category row.

If I am applying MD-only next cycle, would it indeed be worth taking only 1-2 classes or would I need either more credits of a DIY post-bacc at the undergrad level, or more courses at the graduate level (perhaps even a year of an SMP or something)? I'm a bit lost here.

I also understand this greatly depends on my MCAT score and I will be doing my absolute best to score as high as I can on it. (But I am also wondering if a great score would be enough for me to avoid considering courses altogether)

Members don't see this ad.

I'd devote those hours that you'd spend on those science classes to studying for the MCAT. Demonstrating mastery of content via a high MCAT score would have a much greater effect than acing a couple more science classes imo.

I'd devote those hours that you'd spend on those science classes to studying for the MCAT. Demonstrating mastery of content via a high MCAT score would have a much greater effect than acing a couple more science classes imo.

Thanks -- this probably is the best course of action I can take for myself going forward. Appreciate it

Members don't see this ad :)
If you didn’t have a concerning downward trend, it is fine. Study for the MCAT and accumulate significant hours in non-clinical volunteering for the underserved (homeless shelter, food bank, soup kitchen, Big Brothers Big Sisters etc). There are MD schools that consider applicants with your GPA, but they tend to value service as part of their mission.

Reactions: 4 users
If you didn’t have a concerning downward trend, it is fine. Study for the MCAT and accumulate significant hours in non-clinical volunteering for the underserved (homeless shelter, food bank, soup kitchen, Big Brothers Big Sisters etc). There are MD schools that consider applicants with your GPA, but they tend to value service as part of their mission.

Thank you; in fact, this GPA was with a pretty sharp upward trend during junior and senior year. What ballpark range of hours would you consider "significant hours" for non-clinical volunteering? I understand that schools like Rush expect something upwards of 1000+ hours?? (but perhaps they could be an outlier, don't know though)

Thank you; in fact, this GPA was with a pretty sharp upward trend during junior and senior year. What ballpark range of hours would you consider "significant hours" for non-clinical volunteering? I understand that schools like Rush expect something upwards of 1000+ hours?? (but perhaps they could be an outlier, don't know though)
I have advised 150 hours as a threshold to avoid getting screened out at most schools. The higher your MCAT/GPA, the more service orientation-focused hours you also should accrue, closer to 300+.

Reactions: 1 users
Getting about 300 hours (provided they are in an area similar to what I mentioned and not tutoring/fundraising) would be good for the vast majority of them.

Reactions: 1 user
My old university's advisors (members of their premed committee) have suggested taking 1 or 2 upper level science courses at the graduate level to mitigate GPA concerns.
MD schools do not consider graduate courses the equivalent of undergrad.
They will not be averaged into undergrad grades.
We expect all A's in grad classes.

DO schools see things differently and will average them all together.

Last edited:
MD schools do not consider graduate courses the equivalent of undergrad. We expect all A's in grad classes.

Do you mean to say that graduate classes as a whole are regarded as less rigorous? Even if the course is an upper level bio?

And I guess I should have specified earlier - I have not yet signed up for any extra courses beyond my bachelor's (grad or otherwise), and the ones I was considering can be taken for undergraduate or graduate credit. I was against taking them for undergrad credit, since 1 or 2 classes wouldn't really put a dent into the GPA of a 122-credit completed bachelor's.

In browsing them just now, the courses are almost always taught by an MD instructor and are in things like Endocrine Physiology, Pathology, microbiology, etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
i actually took 2 grad bio courses in my post bacc filled with lots more of upper level sci courses. the latter had more of an influence based off my experience