Graduating at 30...It bothers me..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Seriously? When did this happen?

I got these figures off The University of Kansas website:

Tuition for 6 years = $22,074
Pharmacy course fee = $20,811
Campus fees = $5,056

I come up with tuition and fees for 6 years of Pharmacy School as $47,941.

so your $100k advice ONLY applies to people who live IN kansas, stay IN kansas, and go straight out of high school into their 0-6 program. fair enough!

Members don't see this ad.

As an aside I say if you ended up with 100k plus of debt after pharmacy school you did something wrong.

:confused:

This is just a pure ignorant statement. I got into my first choice fairly affordable in-state school and with the living expenses right now, I'm borrowing around ~ 49 k per year. With tutition expected to rise, I'll be well over 200 by the time I graduate in 4 years.

Last edited:
so your $100k advice ONLY applies to people who live IN kansas, stay IN kansas, and go straight out of high school into their 0-6 program. fair enough!

I am saying Kansas should be represenative of most schools that have been around longer than 5 years. I think Kansas is the 3rd oldest pharmacy school and usually ranked in the top 10 to 20 schools.

It blows my mind that you could end up withh over 100k in debt for pharmacy school.

Members don't see this ad :)
Seriously? When did this happen?

I got these figures off The University of Kansas website:

Tuition for 6 years = $22,074
Pharmacy course fee = $20,811
Campus fees = $5,056

I come up with tuition and fees for 6 years of Pharmacy School as $47,941.

omg that is freakin cheap!!!!!!!! states schools east coast are way more expensive. question is, where are your housing and food costs in taht figure

I am saying Kansas should be represenative of most schools that have been around longer than 5 years. I think Kansas is the 3rd oldest pharmacy school and usually ranked in the top 10 to 20 schools.

It blows my mind that you could end up withh over 100k in debt for pharmacy school.

oh it's easy to blow through $100k....

1) going for a BS/BA before the PharmD
2) having to borrow for living expenses vs. sucking on mama's teat for 6 years
3) attending a school in an interesting part of the country
4) having in-state tuition rival that of private schools

it's moot point for me since i'm sticking the taxpayers-at-large with the rest of my student loan bill, but i'm going to argue that kansas isn't the standard by which to guage what most of us pay.

Since you're gung ho about schools that have been around and ranked top 10-20, here's what I came up with.

USP (oldest rx school in the nation): $202,435

http://www.usp.edu/controller/tuition.shtml
($28,190 x 2 + $31,010 x 3 + $43,935) tuition + ($9,090) fees

UCSF (consistent #1 on rankings): $106,556
http://registrar.ucsf.edu/registration/fees/pharmacy
$26,639 x 4 (resident tuition)

USC (Z's school, just for kicks): $166,061
http://www.usc.edu/schools/pharmacy/pharmd/fa/cost.html
$41,717 + $41,448 x 3 (removed R&B, books, personal, transport)

I'll humor you and use UT as an example of how even a texas resident can incur $100k+ in loans:

UT Austin: $52,896
http://www.utexas.edu/business/accounting/pubs/tf_gradsem0910.pdf
(assumptions: 15 credits/semester, 8 semesters, no tuition increases, no other fees associated with enrolling).

+ Rent $545/mo x 48 months = $26,160
http://www.businessweek.com/bwdaily/dnflash/content/jan2007/db20070110_511187.htm
(yeah i know, 2007)

+ Food (hell if i know...let's say you're cheap and spend $10/day, 4yrs) = $14,600
+ 2 years at Austin Community College for prereq's = $3,216
http://www.austincc.edu/support/admissions/tuitionchart.php
(4 semesters, 15 credits each semester).
+Random ($3129, made this number up...but this amounts to $65/mo in Rx school of random expenses).

UT TOTAL: $100,001 :idea:

Point is...not everyone is lucky enough to get into a cheap state school, some of us live in nice places like California and pay the sunshine tax. Aside from that, some of us bring BS/BA degrees to the table...as you can see above, it wouldn't be difficult for a frugal TX resident who only did 2yrs at CC to rack up ~$100k in debt. Same probably goes for Kansas when you factor in cost of living, etc...

I was a little off balance, so let me throw in another state school w/ resident tuition.

UF (ORL) - $61,893.40
http://www.cop.ufl.edu/studaff/tuition.pdf
ORL location, assumes no other fees.
--> Leaves you a little over $38k to get a BS/BA or prereq's done, pay for rent, food, transportation, etc...don't know the local market in FL, maybe tinkerbell22 can chime in somehow.

SUCOP - I will be in their 3rd graduating class. They are private and located in Louisville, KY.

Taken straight from their website, so it will be interesting to see how my cost closely compares to the innagural's class.

Annual Tuition Cost Breakdown –
Entering Class of July 2009

ITEMCOST Tuition$34,000.00 Textbooks
$300/Quarter (Est.) $1.200.00 Application Fee (one-time fee) $100.00 Lab and Technology Fee $400/Quarter $1,600.00 GRAND TOTAL $36,900.00
I am looking at $37K x 3 years = $111K for 3 years of school related costs + living expenses.

I can try to reduce this amount by applying for some local programs with hospitals here in town. One will give me $8K per year payable to the school with a commitment of 1 month per $500 I borrow from them. $24K for 4 years commitment to the place I want to work at when I gradute and complete my residency. Sounds like a bargain right?

Yeah, but how many people want to live in Kansas that are not from Kansas ?

I'd rather stay in the same city I grew up in, a short bus ride away from my family, closest friends and all my favorite restaurants, museums and book stores rather than move half away across the country to a state I've never been in. Possibly to some rural place. :confused:

Extra 100 k is definitely worth it, especially if you are getting a top tier education.

Another thing to - do you count at all the living expenses ? Since I don't have a husband/parents to support me and must live somewhere and eat ( those darn unnecessery things), I'm borrowing 18 k alone per year, just in living expenses. I have 0 undergraduate debt since I paid for schooling myself, so the only debt I'll have will be pharm school related.

Yeah, but how many people want to live in Kansas that are not from Kansas ?

I'd rather stay in the same city I grew up in, a short bus ride away from my family, closest friends and all my favorite restaurants, museums and book stores rather than move half away across the country to a state I've never been in. Possibly to some rural place. :confused:

Extra 100 k is definitely worth it, especially if you are getting a top tier education.

Another thing to - do you count at all the living expenses ? Since I don't have a husband/parents to support me and must live somewhere and eat ( those darn unnecessery things), I'm borrowing 18 k alone per year, just in living expenses. I have 0 undergraduate debt since I paid for schooling myself, so the only debt I'll have will be pharm school related.

i guess it depends on where you live but 18k for living expenses seems high to me. I live on 1,000/month easy

Month
400 - rent and utilities
20 - internet
75 - car insurance
200 - food
75 - gas
30 - cell phone family plan
200 - random stuff/fun/save

If health insurance is not included in your school expenses then that could add another $120-250/month.

And after your first year when you start working 1-2 days a week during school you can make >$400/month easy. Living cheap is very doable, most people are just unwilling to do it.

i guess it depends on where you live but 18k for living expenses seems high to me. I live on 1,000/month easy

Month
400 - rent and utilities
20 - internet
75 - car insurance
200 - food
75 - gas
30 - cell phone family plan
200 - random stuff/fun/save

If health insurance is not included in your school expenses then that could add another $120-250/month.

And after your first year when you start working 1-2 days a week during school you can make >$400/month easy. Living cheap is very doable, most people are just unwilling to do it.

You make it sound like I'm trying to borrow the extra money. :laugh: It's not like I want to borrow extra, it's that you have to realize cost of living is different here than in other places. I live in San Francisco, so it' heck of a lot more expensive than living in majority of places. My rent is 750 alone and I got an amazing deal - most people in my class pay 950 in rent alone and this is for a room only. Those than rent a studio pay like 1300-1400 $.

Groceries are waaaaaay more expensive here than even in Sacrameto a couple hours away. They never cost me less than 320-350 a month and I eat fresh vegetables/good food - but nothing too extravagant - I shop at Safeway and Trader Joes.

Alone our gas bill can be 80-90 dollars a month just for gas - it's freezing in here at all times. And that's just for gas.

Cell phone bill - cheapest plan cost me 60 dollars.

Internet - 30.

Contacts daily disposable - 90 dollars per month.

Garage - 25 dollars per month.

Medical insurance - 200.

This is roughly about 1600 and I didn't even count the other utilities and the random stuff like occasional going out, or shampoo or other toiletries and etc.

Last edited:
You make it sound like I'm trying to borrow the extra money. :laugh: It's not like I want to borrow extra, it's that you have to realize cost of living is different here than in other places. I live in San Francisco, so it' heck of a lot more expensive than living in majority of places. My rent is 750 alone and I got an amazing deal - most people in my class pay 950 in rent alone and this is for a room only. Those than rent a studio pay like 1300-1400 $.

Groceries are waaaaaay more expensive here than even in Sacrameto a couple hours away. They never cost me less than 320-350 a month and I eat fresh vegetables/good food - but nothing too extravagant - I shop at Safeway and Trader Joes.

Alone our gas beal can be 80-90 dollars a month just for gas - it's freezing in here at all times. And that's just for gas.

Cell phone bill - cheapest plan cost me 60 dollars.

Internet - 30.

Contacts daily disposable - 90 dollars per month.

Garage - 25 dollars per month.

Medical insurance - 200.

This is roughly about 1600 and I didn't even count the other utilities and the random stuff like occasional going out, or shampoo or other toiletries and etc.

Don't feel bad. You're not alone

Rent: 750
Electric: 60
Water: 50
Cable: 35
Car: 300
Car ins: 100
Gas: 130
Phone: 80
Health ins: 200
Food: 250
Miscellaneous: 200

Total: >$2000/month

Tuition is $20K/year, now. It used to be $18K.

So 18 + 18 + 20 + 20 = $76K.

Add 17.5 for 4 years of undergrad, 76 + 17.5 = $93,500

Add living expenses for pharmacy school... $100K+

haha..i say if you end up with LESS than $100k you did something wrong (you went to a private school and failed out after 2yrs). I'll be sitting at $200k when I graduate...not only was I not competitive for in-state (UCSF/UCSD), it wouldn't have mattered as tuition there is comparable to cheaper privates.

Tuition alone (30+30+30+45 estimated for P-4) + living expenses (10k/yr x 4) + baggage from undergrad (~$25k) = ~$200k. What was I suppose to do...not eat? I live in a matchbox of an apartment w/ no car and live pretty modestly.

I've been spreading the gospel of IBR/PSLF for the past few weeks...but we won't know for a few years how it's affecting repayments since i feel like most of us on here are a) still students, b) already paid off their loans, c) borrowed so little that the program doesn't provide benefit.

So I'm basically restricted to gov't work or a 501(c)(3) hospital or else I'll be on the hook for the entire balance. That's my motivation right now...then I'll fall under your "under $100k" rule based on the terms of the program.

Sources if you're curious:
http://www.ibrinfo.org/
http://www.ibrinfo.org/what.vp.html#pslf

I was wondering when somebody was gonna start talking about this. I think its a great program that most people didn't know about (until maybe recently), although it seems most of the people on SDN wouldn't be able to take full advantage of it.

You know, you can still take advantage of IBR even if you don't work for a nonprofit or government, it just takes 25 years of paying the 15% of income above 150% of the poverty line, instead of 10 years. For some people, like me, this still is highly advantageous.

I'll give my example:

Total estimated debt between my wife and I by the time we both finish school: $310,000
Estimated average interest rate: 7.5%
Estimated monthly payment based on 25 year repayment without IBR: $2,290

Now compare to things under IBR:
We have a family of 4, 1.5x poverty will be approx. $36,000 in 4 years:
$100,000 - $36,000 = $64,000 * 15% = $9,600 / 12 months = $800 monthly payment

Even if my income is higher or rises over the years, my monthly payment could be:
$150,000 - $42,000 (increased poverty rate) = $108,000 * 15% = $16,200 / 12 months = $1,350

$1,350 and $800 are considerably lower than $2,290 per month, no? And the good thing is that as your payments rise with increased income, your ability to pay rises because you are making more.

Of course most SDNers don't have this much debt or families of 4 by now, but its still a good option for many like me. In fact, I was considering not attending pharmacy school because the debt would have been debilitating, but when I heard about IBR a little over a year ago, I went for it.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think I qualify for IBR according to the estimator on that site. Crap.

I don't think I qualify for IBR according to the estimator on that site. Crap.
I wouldn't count on this program to be available to us. It will probably be subject to income restrictions just like all the other deductions. Remember the govenment thinks were rich no matter how much debt we have. Tax the rich give to poor, spread the wealth.

I wouldn't count on this program to be available to us. It will probably be subject to income restrictions just like all the other deductions. Remember the govenment thinks were rich no matter how much debt we have. Tax the rich give to poor, spread the wealth.

mmm negative, the reason someone wouldn't qualify is because their income : debt ratio is too high. it's technically not a deduction or a credit. you can qualify if you make $500k and your loan debt is $1M (per the calculator).

spacecowgirl -- sounds like you have too low of a debt to qualify...in any case, the PSLF program really benefits those with high debt to income ratios.

from the an IBR request form itself: "the annual amount due on all of your eligible loans exceeds 15 percent of the difference between your adjusted gross income (AGI) as shown on your federal income tax return and the poverty line income amount for your family size. The annual amount due is calculated as of the time you initially entered repayment using a standard repayment plan with a 10-year repayment period. Your AGI includes your spouse's income if you are married and you and your spouse file a joint federal income tax return."

Playing with the calculator, if you make $100,000/yr, the loan balance at the time you entered repayment should be at least $91,000...otherwise, you don't qualify.

Was your income low last year (2009?) I don't know when you graduated or if you did a residency, I know when you apply you have to submit either a) a copy of your tax return or b) submit a 4506-T authorizing the IRS to tell your lender your AGI. If your income was low in '09 you can probably apply and submit that income as verification in order to get into the program.

Again, run the numbers and see what you come up with.

okay i did some SDN stalking and spacecowgirl, looks like you finished res. in 2008 (and got married in 2009...haha, congrats!)

my only other idea is if you decide to have a baby and take time off work and reduce your income that way... IBR is based off your income alone (you'll have to file married but separate on your 1040 or until the dept. of ed. changes the rule). Don't know if that's on your radar....and I don't know how prudent it would be to reduce your income just to qualify for the program.

oh and museabuse + spacecowgirl -- I ended up rereading an old post...thanks for advising me to skip the extracurricular activities, it's helped my GPA immensely & is giving me time for some "scholarly" activities to fill up my CV. :thumbup:

man...I am 27 years old now..i went to school for 8 years ....nothing to feel bad about it..just go out to make money and get some chicks :D

I'll be 30 when I graduate too. When that hit me, I felt like a loser, but then I realized that I'll still be ahead of most people. Besides, I feel like the things I did that delayed me were well worth it: working a variety of semi-professional full time jobs, living on my own and providing for myself, learning how to be responsible for myself and not having my parents do everything for me, getting married, having kids, etc. I wouldn't trade those things for graduating at 24, no way. Besides, I'll only be 43 when all my kids are out of the house and off to college! I won't be one of those old geezers with kids still in the house. I'll still be young enough to travel with my wife and do everything we want when the kids are gone, and actually have the money to do it.

mmm negative, the reason someone wouldn't qualify is because their income : debt ratio is too high. it's technically not a deduction or a credit. you can qualify if you make $500k and your loan debt is $1M (per the calculator).

spacecowgirl -- sounds like you have too low of a debt to qualify...in any case, the PSLF program really benefits those with high debt to income ratios.

from the an IBR request form itself: "the annual amount due on all of your eligible loans exceeds 15 percent of the difference between your adjusted gross income (AGI) as shown on your federal income tax return and the poverty line income amount for your family size. The annual amount due is calculated as of the time you initially entered repayment using a standard repayment plan with a 10-year repayment period. Your AGI includes your spouse’s income if you are married and you and your spouse file a joint federal income tax return."

Playing with the calculator, if you make $100,000/yr, the loan balance at the time you entered repayment should be at least $91,000...otherwise, you don't qualify.

Was your income low last year (2009?) I don't know when you graduated or if you did a residency, I know when you apply you have to submit either a) a copy of your tax return or b) submit a 4506-T authorizing the IRS to tell your lender your AGI. If your income was low in '09 you can probably apply and submit that income as verification in order to get into the program.

Again, run the numbers and see what you come up with.

I tried another more complicated calculator and I think maybe I do qualify. Unfortunately 1/3 of my loans are private so they don't count. Boo. It's worth asking my lender about; the only negative I could see is paying more interest if the loan forgiveness doesn't pan out. I have to look into it more. Thanks so much for pointing that out.

okay i did some SDN stalking and spacecowgirl, looks like you finished res. in 2008 (and got married in 2009...haha, congrats!)

my only other idea is if you decide to have a baby and take time off work and reduce your income that way... IBR is based off your income alone (you'll have to file married but separate on your 1040 or until the dept. of ed. changes the rule). Don't know if that's on your radar....and I don't know how prudent it would be to reduce your income just to qualify for the program.

oh and museabuse + spacecowgirl -- I ended up rereading an old post...thanks for advising me to skip the extracurricular activities, it's helped my GPA immensely & is giving me time for some "scholarly" activities to fill up my CV. :thumbup:
The hubs just started his own business which will hopefully = lots of tax deductions. We're planning on a few two-legged deductions in the next few years as well.

Glad you found the advice helpful :thumbup:

Besides, I'll only be 43 when all my kids are out of the house and off to college! I won't be one of those old geezers with kids still in the house.
Hey now. That'll be me. Chasing toddlers with my walker.

I'm 22 years old, and will be graduating from pharmacy school when I'm 23. There are these kids in my class who have skipped 1-3 grades and got into pharmacy school when they were 15-17 (not even old enough to drink!!). I used to feel old talking to them. But I learned that no one cares about your age except you. Once you graduate, patients aren't going to pop up in your face and ask you how many year you've been practising and how old you were when you graduated. I find that people in general (not just patients) respect older students more. Also, it might not have been totally beneficial to enter at a young age, since I find older students are generally better able to handle life, school/work, and the physical and emotional toll the profession can exert. You are older, wiser, and you are on the right path. Don't let your self-doubt make you stray from it.

Could you elaborate on this? I'm curious why we should skip out on ECA's. I did a forum search but all I got were posts on pharmacy school surpluses.

Could you elaborate on this? I'm curious why we should skip out on ECA's. I did a forum search but all I got were posts on pharmacy school surpluses.

They're essentially overrated unless you're president, chair, or other high ranking official. Even then, if you're sacrificing GPA points for these positions, there comes a point where it wouldn't be worth it. Don't even think about "just being a member" because that doesn't do jack squat.

As an undergrad, we were sold on promises that EC's would "boost your resume, help get you into grad school, etc..." In the end, they became excuses for dismal GPA's. Residency programs aren't so forgiving and look for different things (scholarly activity, poster presentations, research, clinical skills, inpatient experience, etc...)

club membership is just a blip...not worth my time + dues, i'll probably have one on there just to fill space and try to get something going with one, but i have other things cooking

Listen very carefully, if somebody wouldn't marry you because of your student loan debt, they aren't worth marrying in the first place. And while looks are important in attraction, they tend to disappear over time. The only thing that a person should want as a partner is a good person and someone who shares common values. There are plenty of guys out there.
Remember if the guy has a brain and can do simple math, you make 100K per year with a net of 70K. If he can support you for 3 years, your student loans will be paid off and the two of you can spend the rest of your life spending the balance.... It's all in how you look at things. Maybe you're not an albatross but an opportunity.... In three years you'll be a rich chick....
The truth. :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

I will be 37 when I graduate, and 38 if I do a dual-degree. I have 2 kids and this is my second career (went back to school after my old industry went into decline). Life is what you make of it!!

I'll be 31.

I don't regret it though. I had fun in my 20s. Traveled all over, spent too much $$$....did other things...

I'll be 30 when I graduate too. When that hit me, I felt like a loser, but then I realized that I'll still be ahead of most people. Besides, I feel like the things I did that delayed me were well worth it: working a variety of semi-professional full time jobs, living on my own and providing for myself, learning how to be responsible for myself and not having my parents do everything for me, getting married, having kids, etc. I wouldn't trade those things for graduating at 24, no way. Besides, I'll only be 43 when all my kids are out of the house and off to college! I won't be one of those old geezers with kids still in the house. I'll still be young enough to travel with my wife and do everything we want when the kids are gone, and actually have the money to do it.

Yup, I have the same sentiments. I'll be 38 when I graduate. Two years later our daughter will start college and my hubby can retire and take up other hobbies while I enjoy my dream career. Yeah, I did my life kinda backwards, but it was so well worth it.

I'll be 30 when I graduate, and my 3 years of work experience in a different field, after a BA, plus 1.5 as a tech probably helped me get into pharm school.

And I could give a flying shigella if I get married.

I see that the convo has deviated slightly, but i just wanted to say that I will be graduating from pharm school in 2015 in which case i will be 29. :( that has bothered me. i waited WAY too long to figure out that I wanted to go to pharmacy school. in addition to my mindless waste of time, i'm going to UMKC which is a 5 year program. blah!

I'll be 27. Somehow, I got my prereqs knocked out lol. All I wanted to do when I got to college was play guitar, watch my hair grow, and meet people. Didn't give a crap what I wanted to do for a career. I'm married now...and almost done with my first year...what the heck just happened?

But yeah, I played in a bunch of bands and had fun...actually got good grades, and it rocked!

Maybe when I'm a pharmacist I can afford a 1959 Gibson Les Paul VOS Reissue In Cherry Sunburst. Probably not.

eb All I wanted to do when I got to college was play guitar, watch my hair grow, and meet people.
But yeah, I played in a bunch of bands and had fun...actually got good grades, and it rocked!

I did that in high school

Maybe when I'm a pharmacist I can afford a 1959 Gibson Les Paul VOS Reissue In Cherry Sunburst. Probably not.

I had an early 70's Les Paul Custom when I was in HS. Stupid me thought I would quit music when I went to college...so I sold it. What a mistake. But I kept my Yamaha 12 string...which I had since 1983.. I still have it but it needs work.

So...now I have a 2nd rate electric guitar..Schecter with a small marshall.. I'd crank some old AC/DC riffs on it and kids and their friends think I'm the coolest. Also tool around with a 10 year old spanish classical guitar. But I sure would like a Les Paul...just can't justify it since I'm not in a band or have no intention of playing in one.

I should have grown out of it in HS; I'll admit to being relatively immature. For real.

So much for playing 3-5 hours a day like I did in my "undergrad" days. It's gotten even tougher after getting married.

Man, sorry about the early 70's LP Custom...I've heard a lot of stories like this. I guess the moral of the story is never sell anything :-( Yamahas are sweet though! Especially if they are solid wood like so many of the older. My Takamine just has a solid top and laminate sides. A guy I know sold his '69 SG for wayy too cheap (before anyone cared).

I have a Schecter S-1 Elite..they're honestly pretty nice but they have that awful polyurethane finish that will never break in (unlike a LP with the nice fragile nitrocellulose finish).

If you wanna meet in the middle...I know of some freakin' sweet LP copies that can be had for real cheap...PM me if you want details. They sound just as good as any LP I've heard. I've got one and really like it.

Heck PM me just for the heck of it if u want..I can tell u about my rig if you're interested.

:):) u have to belive in that '''' it is never to late''':):)
hope u the best

I agree with most of you here. I'm 21 and finishing my first year of pharmacy school, but I admire the life-experiences of many of my fellow classmates that are in their upper 20s and above. Many of them have accomplished so much on a non-academic level.

$100k in loan is very easy to kill... in my opinion

I got my license in 2008 October when I was 24 yo.. and I managed to amass $200k net worth (including 401k around ~40k so far). I do have advantage to do this since I am single with no dependents.

That's LESS than 2 years. I put my life on hold and work OT like crazy.. it's doable if you are frugal and keep your expenses down... Thanks to Asian gene in me LOL!

I don't think saving $100k is THAT hard even if you have 2 kids and a wife (only 1/2 of my accomplishment)... if I can do it, you can, too.

Last edited:
Graduating at 30 isn't so bad. Some people start there. I'll be 29 at the start of my P1 term, but there'll be others even older.

It's your life, and there isn't necessarily a time limit on accomplishments.

I agree with most of you here. I'm 21 and finishing my first year of pharmacy school, but I admire the life-experiences of many of my fellow classmates that are in their upper 20s and above. Many of them have accomplished so much on a non-academic level.
I wouldn't feel so bad being older if only I could say the same thing. Even though I'm upper 20s I might as well be ten years younger for all I've done...

what sucks is your friends who graduated at 22 and got jobs right away and moved up in the company are now socking away money, buying houses, upgrading their cars, and generally grew up...

Ugh, I know exactly what you mean Confetti.

My best friend is a haz-mat inspector / building inspector in the bay, raking in $85,000 base salary with overtime, hazard pay, etc... with zero in school loans since he got the job with a BS in BS (Biological Sciences).

So he's got a house in Livermore, solar panels, a jacuzzi and a maxed contribution to his 401(k) and I've... got more school and loans coming up.

We graduated in the same year. It is a very sad thing to think about that way... with his step increases he'll be over $100,000 before I even graduate from UoP.

My best friend is a haz-mat inspector / building inspector in the bay, raking in $85,000 base salary with overtime, hazard pay, etc... with zero in school loans since he got the job with a BS in BS (Biological Sciences).

So he's got a house in Livermore, solar panels, a jacuzzi and a maxed contribution to his 401(k) and I've... got more school and loans coming up.

We graduated in the same year. It is a very sad thing to think about that way... with his step increases he'll be over $100,000 before I even graduate from UoP.

I used to think this way occasionally - the pharmacy manager where I work is only 29 and has been out of school for 3 or 4 years. He and his wife (no kids yet) take 3 or 4 awesome vacations every year, they have a fantastic house, and they do all this while still paying off his loans. It's a bummer when I think about it like that, so I try not to - I'm happy with the path I took for the 10 years between undergrad and pharmacy school.

I'm 33 - pushing 34 - and I'm getting ready to start P4 rotations. I have a plan to get my loans paid off in 5 years after graduation and hopefully we'll be able to start building our "home" about 4 years after I graduate. We live on the super cheap now, so we'll just try to stick with a similar (perhaps slightly better) lifestyle for a couple more years when I'm done - except for one super-fabulous vacation after graduation. :)

Hey iknow, whats up. I just registered on SDN and found this thread. I just want you to know that you graduated at a pretty decent age. I'm 23 and in pre-pharm. I'll probably be 28 or 29 when I graduate from pharm school. So what if I'm older, I'll have a good career. I think your career choice is worth waiting this long. After all, you are getting a Doctoral degree so you have every right to be a little older.

p4s, would you say your friend was an exception? I don't know any students who graduated with a BS in BS and landing a gig this amazing.

Straight out of high school, Border patrol raking in $90k after 3 years on duty + sweet retirement + gun to shoot someone > pharmacist!

prestige: border patrol < pharmacist
who cares meeeh, i can get prestige easily if i just spend a few week playing MW2.

In all seriousness, damn 90k after 3 years!

I graduated when I was 30, and there were a number of students older than me. Two were 40 or older. :thumbup:

No way could I have handled those hardcore classes as a traditional student!

if you make 90k a yr your job has prestige. How much time and money did he put into to get that 90k per year job? If the answer is less than 6 or 7 years and less than 100k Im going to feel stupid.