Other OT-Related Information GRE Scores--Should I retake?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thebiggestsky

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just took the GRE and got a 164 verbal score, but a 148 quantitative. Like, holy hell, what a difference. Does anyone think it would be worth the time and effort to retake the whole exam? I haven't gotten my AW score yet. My other stats are middling at the moment. My undergrad GPA was originally 3.1 (although my pre-reqs are currently 4.0). I was hoping for a high-ish GRE.. I didn't think the Q section would go well (and it didn't), but I also didn't think my score would be so low.

Thoughts? D:

Members don't see this ad.

That is a really high GRE score. Most schools require a 300 and a 150 for the verbal section. Since the math section isn't really important to OT schools, I would say you are good to go!

Okay, thanks. I was worried that my Q score being <35th percentile would look bad. Although I decided last night that I wasn't going to re-take it (unless my AW is low maybe), and just take my chances.

Members don't see this ad :)
Okay, thanks. I was worried that my Q score being <35th percentile would look bad. Although I decided last night that I wasn't going to re-take it (unless my AW is low maybe), and just take my chances.
I think if your AW score is low then you can schedule a test just to take 1 or 2 sections on the GRE. I think you have the option in ETS to send the best score in each section if you have taken the test more than once.

My understanding of ETS score reporting (unless they have changed) is that you can select which test date(s) to report, but you aren't able to parcel out scores by individual section.
However, some grad schools may take your highest scores from each section across multiple sittings. Some do not. Each school handles it individually.
As to the OP's question, the V is excellent, and my understanding is the Q is "less important" for OT schools. Having said that, it's a very competitive process, and if you're confident you can improve on that Q score, have time and funds to re-test, there's no downside. I would say with a 4 on AW, I would personally be satisfied w/ those scores.

Reactions: 1 user
I got around a 154 V, 146-148 Q, and 5.5 AW on the first exam I took and I did retake it because most schools I was applying to wanted at least the 50th percentile on each section. I studied the quant section for a week or two and boosted up that score to a 156. I was annoyed taking the entire test again but in my opinion it was worth it as I was accepted to all schools I applied to. I was afraid to be weeded out because I didn't hit that 50th percentile in each section even though my other stats were pretty strong. On a couple of school's sites they list the percentage breakdown of what's important to admissions.. The quant section is less important but it is looked at ( I think something like verbal was 15% and quant was 10%). So if you have the time, money, and resources, I think it's worth retaking if your schools want you to be in the 50th percentile. Also a side note: I actually went down in my Verbal score the second exam because I was so focused on the quant sections but that didn't hurt me. Most schools I asked said they take the best score I received from different tests. Hope this helps!

My whole stats section is on the early pages (page 3 or 4) of the GPA ect thread if you want all the details of my stats, schools, wait lists, ect. Hope this helps! But yeah I thought of it as better safe than sorry!

Thanks! And totally, that was originally my thinking. I'll probably wait, however, until I get my AW score. My V is pretty high, so if 2 out of 3 scores are decent, then I'm okay with that.