General Admissions & OTCAS GRE Study Tips

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BeAnOTsoon!?

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

The GRE can be really stressful and overwhelming, and sometimes it can be hard to know where to start. I just took the test and did really well, so I thought I'd share my strategy with you all.

Starting Score: about 310
Official Score: about 330
Study Plan: 8 Weeks, 10 hours/week

I used the Kaplan GRE book. The first thing I did was develop a study plan for myself. I decided to study three days a week for three hours each day. I took a practice test at the library every other week (and always rewarded myself with a gyro and fries after each one). Since verbal comes a lot easier to me, I focused most of my energy on the quantitative section.

Step 1: Identify your weaknesses
--Start at Appendix D: Math Reference
--Listed here are the most important math skills, in order from easiest to hardest (from things like the Pythagorean theorem, to combinations and permutations, to special triangle rules). Go through and highlight each skill that you cannot do confidently. If there's a lot, only do part 1. Don't move onto part 2 or 3 until you are comfortable with part 1. If there's not too many weak points go ahead and identify skills you need to practice in all three parts.
--Review these highlighted skills every time you study. Start with the 10 easiest. Once you feel confident with one, stop studying it and add another.

Step 2: Write a study Plan
My Study Plan looked something like this...
Week 1
Monday:
--Read chapters 9 and 10 (intro to quantitative reasoning and quantitative foundations and content review). ---Highlight weaknesses in Appendix D
--Begin memorizing first 10 weaknesses

Wednesday:
--Continue working on first 10 weaknesses from Appendix D
--Read chapter 11 and 12 (quantitative comparison and problem solving) and complete associated practice sets
--Review wrong answers in practice sets

Friday:
--Read chapter 13 (data interpretation and ) and complete associated practice set
--Review wrong answers in practice set and review wrong answers from Wednesday's set

Week 2
Monday:
--Continue working on first 10 weaknesses from Appendix D. Add more if possible
--Complete quantitative practice set 1 from chapter 14
--Review wrong answers in practice sets

Wednesday:
--Begin to study verbal by reading each chapter and completing practice sets

Friday:
--Take a full practice test in a controlled environment
--Reward yourself with something delicious
--Review this test in full next time you study (but not today)

Weeks 3-8
--Continue to work through Appendix D until you are comfortable with every skill
--Identify areas that need more work and find worksheets on internet
--Take a practice test every other week (ETS publishes 2 real ones on their website. I saved them for last)
--Review each practice test in full
--Starting at week 4 I also started to do an essay once a week

Step 3: Keep a GRE journal
--Write down the Appendix D weak points in your journal for quick review
--Each time you come across a word you don't know in a verbal section write it and its definition down in your journal. This includes words that were incorrect answer choices, even if you didn't choose them. Also make up a sentence (as silly and memorable as possible) and write that down too.
--Read a novel with lots of good vocab and write down any words you come across that you don't know. Write the word, its definition, and the sentence & context that it was used in the book
--I read lots of Margret Atwood because her books are fun and easy and have tons of good vocab. I know for sure that one word I learned from her showed up on my official test (it was plebeian)

Good luck studying! I hope this helps!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Awesome, thanks! If I don't get in to the only school I applied to I'll definitely try your study plan. :)

And don't underestimate the essay!! It's extremely important to your scores (especially for OT admissions), and 30 minutes goes by so quickly. I thought I was a pretty good writer, but definitely found those challenging. So yeah, I agree, writing practice essays can be beneficial along with studying the other sections.