G'Town SMP GPA Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

palmtree

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So i've heard that G'town SMP waits for some students' MCAT scores to come in from the April administration before they make a decision on their application. Do you think they'll do the same for GPA's? Basically, my GPA is below 3.0, I was wondering if they could wait until June until my GPA is above 3.0 before making their decision...I got a 33 on the MCAT, i'm published for alzheimers research, i teach MCAT Ochem and MCAT Gchem for the Princeton Review...basically all thats left is for me to improve my GPA. for you all already in the program, have you heard of anything like this? thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Ask Dr. Meyers on yahoo groups (search Georgetown SMP) but my gut is, apply now; I dont think they would reject you this early (ie you will be accepted or held) the pool gets more competitive later on so the earlier the better.

palmtree said:
So i've heard that G'town SMP waits for some students' MCAT scores to come in from the April administration before they make a decision on their application. Do you think they'll do the same for GPA's? Basically, my GPA is below 3.0, I was wondering if they could wait until June until my GPA is above 3.0 before making their decision...I got a 33 on the MCAT, i'm published for alzheimers research, i teach MCAT Ochem and MCAT Gchem for the Princeton Review...basically all thats left is for me to improve my GPA. for you all already in the program, have you heard of anything like this? thanks!

It's possible. I applied late March and wasn't accepted until they saw an early and highly unofficial version of my final grades at the end of May. My MCAT was 29 (hadn't received my retake scores yet) and my GPA as of that March was somewhere around a 3.2.

I would apply early to maximize your chances. If for some reason they sit on your application to see final grades like they did mine, you still have a good shot at getting in late. Some students in the program were accepted first week of August, filling holes from students who made it in to medical school instead.

Members don't see this ad :)
silverdime said:
It's possible. I applied late March and wasn't accepted until they saw an early and highly unofficial version of my final grades at the end of May. My MCAT was 29 (hadn't received my retake scores yet) and my GPA as of that March was somewhere around a 3.2.

I would apply early to maximize your chances. If for some reason they sit on your application to see final grades like they did mine, you still have a good shot at getting in late. Some students in the program were accepted first week of August, filling holes from students who made it in to medical school instead.

I understand applying early would maximize the chances of most applicants, but sitting on a 2.6...i just have the feeling theyll look at it and immediately dump me off in the reject pile because its not even close to a 3.0... the next term at my college ends at the end of march, so its either gamble and apply now with a 2.6 or apply after a full term of a's with around a 2.75 the first week of april. the hope in applying now would be that they like me enough to put me on hold to see what happens with my grades, but wouldnt i be doing the same thing if i apply in the first week of april with a higher gpa? its a hard decision..gotta make the decision in a few days..any input?

make sure let them know about the courses you are taking. they might want to wait for grades. personally i think 2.6 now is better than 2.75 in april. a lot of people with low 3.0s are waiting it out now so you never know. good luck

palmtree said:
I understand applying early would maximize the chances of most applicants, but sitting on a 2.6...i just have the feeling theyll look at it and immediately dump me off in the reject pile because its not even close to a 3.0... the next term at my college ends at the end of march, so its either gamble and apply now with a 2.6 or apply after a full term of a's with around a 2.75 the first week of april. the hope in applying now would be that they like me enough to put me on hold to see what happens with my grades, but wouldnt i be doing the same thing if i apply in the first week of april with a higher gpa? its a hard decision..gotta make the decision in a few days..any input?

Thanks for the actual numbers...I'd been under the impression you were hovering more around the 2.9 level. Since you're a little further away from the usual cutoff (although I'm sure the MCAT score helps) I'd do what Touchdown suggested and contact Dr. Myers for his opinion. I think you can find his email address somewhere on the Georgetown SMP webpage. There's also the Yahoo! group, which he probably checks just as often.

My opinion, for what it's worth, is that with a less than 3.0 GPA you'll have your best shot with an early application, and the jump in GPA isn't worth the three month delay in consideration. You can maybe tuck in a note about your projected GPA if you're worried.

My much stronger opinion is that you should ask Dr. Myers about early/late application--he's the one who could actually let you in. :)

howdy, where's the yahoo group? I'm really interested in this program, too. My problem is that I'm still sort of optimistic about my chances to get into an MD program this admissions cycle but without any interviews I'm sort of at a loss about what to do...
Thanks.

Thanks, sd.