Gunner Training?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hope2bpaindoc

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
A

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow u sound like a douche...sorray for being a gunner while asking appropriate questions that im sure other people are thinking of or havent thought of on the appropriate thread. Its funny u need to nerdily critique my posts then say nothing at all.

Wow u sound like a douche...sorray for being a gunner while asking appropriate questions that im sure other people are thinking of or havent thought of on the appropriate thread. Its funny u need to nerdily critique my posts then say nothing at all.

I actually felt bad for you because you seemed totally unaware as to why you were being slammed. Maybe I should have PM'ed you instead. But I guess if you really are oblivious to it, I need not have bothered pointing it out. My bad man; carry on. I'll try to be less of a d-bag :)

didn't you make the other post about why you thought GT was great? How can you still have so many questions about GT?......Its kinda like spending hours trying to decide whats the best shoe for running long distance.....you won't really know till you try.....

But to answer your question
GT goes above & beyond FA.....infact GT goes above & beyond most classes i've seen. Theres probably more info in some of these GT cards than was taught in my class by the notoriously detail oriented phds.

i DON"T think path is a good subject on GT, mainly because path is about recognizing/diagnosing disease.....while GT is like........name 10 causes of this disease i.e., its testing you in a way that isn't quite helpful in recogonizing the most common clinical presentation. you should be able to read a vignette & have an immediate picture in your mind about what disease that is. & GT doesn't really give that

Best way to learn path is pathoma + lots of qbank qs to understand how disease presents

Members don't see this ad :)
Is anybody else having a problem rating things 4 or 5?

I noticed that when I started early on I would rate things a 5 after a bunch of repetitions, but now that those 5's are coming around after 90 days I have forgotten a lot of them.

Due to this I rarely rate things over a 3 so that I get monthly review without the risk of forgetting things completely.

Would I be better off just rating things 4 and 5 and pushing them back and then if I forgot them just rate them a 2 and starting the process over?

I feel like if I'm rating everything a 3 my schedule starts to become very cluttered as 90% of my Q's get marked a 3 so that means EVERY single thing I have banked I have to answer within a 30 day period.

Would I be better off just rating things 4 and 5 and pushing them back and then if I forgot them just rate them a 3 and starting the process over?

This is what I do, except I rerate as a 2. I do tend to lose some mastery when things come back after 2 months, but I'm alright with it - it gets remastered quickly

didn't you make the other post about why you thought GT was great? How can you still have so many questions about GT?......Its kinda like spending hours trying to decide whats the best shoe for running long distance.....you won't really know till you try.....

But to answer your question
GT goes above & beyond FA.....infact GT goes above & beyond most classes i've seen. Theres probably more info in some of these GT cards than was taught in my class by the notoriously detail oriented phds.

i DON"T think path is a good subject on GT, mainly because path is about recognizing/diagnosing disease.....while GT is like........name 10 causes of this disease i.e., its testing you in a way that isn't quite helpful in recogonizing the most common clinical presentation. you should be able to read a vignette & have an immediate picture in your mind about what disease that is. & GT doesn't really give that

Best way to learn path is pathoma + lots of qbank qs to understand how disease presents

I think this is the trick to GT which took me some time to understand. GT isn't going to give you the why or the how, the thought process of medicine, more often than not. It does sometimes, but it's mostly focused on facts. So you can hammer in the facts and remember the why on your own, or you can do lots of qbanks or read other review books that go into the why.

Like other posters, I'm not too excited about GT, a fact program, trying to dabble into the why/how with qbank style Q's. It's fine and serves its purpose without this. Someone should post that as a "suggestion for a new feature"... STOP adding qbank questions.

GT could be really different in 12 months if they keep doing this stuff.

This is what I do, except I rerate as a 2. I do tend to lose some mastery when things come back after 2 months, but I'm alright with it - it gets remastered quickly

Yeah, rating high 4/5 and then back down to a 2 is fine. If I'm rating back down to a 2 then I know I never really learned the material deeply, so I can restudy the card or back it up with some extra info/concepts. I wouldn't focus overly on mastery until closer to the final prep period.

I think this is the trick to GT which took me some time to understand. GT isn't going to give you the why or the how, the thought process of medicine, more often than not. It does sometimes, but it's mostly focused on facts. So you can hammer in the facts and remember the why on your own, or you can do lots of qbanks or read other review books that go into the why.

Like other posters, I'm not too excited about GT, a fact program, trying to dabble into the why/how with qbank style Q's. It's fine and serves its purpose without this. Someone should post that as a "suggestion for a new feature"... STOP adding qbank questions.

GT could be really different in 12 months if they keep doing this stuff.

I don't really think this is a big cause for concern. If you read the last page, they said that they'll be adding 200-300 vignette style questions. Given that there are like 5000-6000 non-vignette style questions it shouldn't slow you down or negatively influence things too much.

Yeah, rating high 4/5 and then back down to a 2 is fine. If I'm rating back down to a 2 then I know I never really learned the material deeply, so I can restudy the card or back it up with some extra info/concepts. I wouldn't focus overly on mastery until closer to the final prep period.

This is just my default. I found I used to spend too much time deciding what to rate a card. Almost everything is a 2, 4, or 5 for me. The only time I generally add some significant variation is when I'm banking and trying to get cards that deal with the same topic on different days to improved the spaced learning

So, part of my justification for starting GT spring of freshman year was to prep for neuro, phys, and biochem shelf - I took them about a week ago and got my scores back this week, so I'll weigh in on the utility of GT for that purpose now I suppose.

I didn't do any specific studying for biochem, read HY neuro.. for neuro, and read all but the GI and endo chapters of BRS phys.. for phys. Honestly, outside of the few (really, not very many) questions that frankly didn't belong on the tests - straight pharm recall (looking at you neuro), a couple path questions on phys that I don't think were solvable with phys knowledge - they seemed to be pretty fair tests. GT was definitely the biggest boon for biochem, with the least help being in conceptual areas of phys (but still a big help here regardless). Biochem was the only test I got an NBME raw score for (65 - if you can figure out how to interpret it, have at it, I got tired of looking on NBME's page after 2 minutes), but I scored well on all of them as far as what I received for a class grade (these counted as our finals).

I'd definitely have done the same thing again if I had to do it over

I don't really think this is a big cause for concern. If you read the last page, they said that they'll be adding 200-300 vignette style questions. Given that there are like 5000-6000 non-vignette style questions it shouldn't slow you down or negatively influence things too much.

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

have you tried GT?

I'm doing about 200-300 questions a day, & I want to say that it feels like 1/3 of them are vignettes.

& also i'm starting to see a quite a few of the "this is patient X...she has this history & this disease, she comes to you for help. blah blah you recommend this drug. what is the mechanism of action of this drug" i.e., COMPLETE waste of your time reading those vignettes.

Honestly I think GT is NOT building itself toward a step 1 program, & instead trying to become a medical school replacement program. I guess if people stick with GT long term plan they have to buy a 2 year subscription & GT makes $$$.

have you tried GT?

I'm doing about 200-300 questions a day, & I want to say that it feels like 1/3 of them are vignettes.

& also i'm starting to see a quite a few of the "this is patient X...she has this history & this disease, she comes to you for help. blah blah you recommend this drug. what is the mechanism of action of this drug" i.e., COMPLETE waste of your time reading those vignettes.

Honestly I think GT is NOT building itself toward a step 1 program, & instead trying to become a medical school replacement program. I guess if people stick with GT long term plan they have to buy a 2 year subscription & GT makes $$$.

It's interesting we have totally different experiences on this. Yes I'm at 35% banked. My goal is to get to 50% by summer's end. I'd say when I do questions maybe 1 out of 10 of them will be long vignettes. Some of the vignettes are so short and to the point that I don't even count them as vignettes in my mind. Plus after I see the vignette more than once, I remember it and instead of re-reading the vignette I just skip ahead to trying to recall the concept or fact being tested. This is part of my test-taking habit: I always read the last sentence of the question stem FIRST. Therefore it doesn't really affect me too much :)

Furthermore, most of the long vignettes that I do see are from Hematology/Oncology (listing all the long Hb, Hct, MCV values, etc.) The majority of my banking comes from Pharm and Micro (with big chunks of GI/Endocrine/Hematology). Obviously if you have banked heavily from subjects where GT does have many long questions, your experience will vary from mine.

I will tell you what takes me the longest time to get through though. It's not vignettes, it's those single sentence questions that ask you to list 6-7 different answers (be it side effects, symptoms, or drugs). I sit there and try to recall as many as I can, then I just say 'screw it' and move on to the next card.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
If you don't like GT, don't use it. It's that simple. No need to take out frustration with GT on internet strangers.

have you tried GT?

I never wrote this but I had this same exact thought.

I think they will try to get more business from the IMG crowd + schools that have tons of free time. Allopathic schools that have lots of scheduled activities and other things will NOT be able to use this program if they keep changing it like they are. But that's the point isn't it? Get people signed up on 2 year programs and try to replace preclinical sciences at weaker schools. If they can achieve that, they can charge a lot and still be very useful (for that crowd). A lot of AMGs don't like the idea of a long term GT program, most would rather cram up the test in the last 2-3 months after a solid 2 year education in the classroom. It's a brilliant business model and if you can't beat Uworld, it's the best market to go after.

If you don't like GT, don't use it. It's that simple. No need to take out frustration with GT on internet strangers.

I like the program a lot and am investing LARGE amounts of time into it. But I'm kind of at their mercy too, if they drastically change the program when I'm 80% banked, it would be pretty dumb for me to abandon all that work months before taking Step 1. I just want it to stay how it is.

I think all of our (or my) criticism has a point in trying to improve the program or the process. It certainly isn't complaining without purpose.

I will tell you what takes me the longest time to get through though. It's not vignettes, it's those single sentence questions that ask you to list 6-7 different answers (be it side effects, symptoms, or drugs). I sit there and try to recall as many as I can, then I just say 'screw it' and move on to the next card.

Agreed. The worst. I do the same, just try to get the 3-4 important ones, then read the answer to ensure I understood the rest of the list.

Last edited:
I never wrote this but I had this same exact thought.

I think they will try to get more business from the IMG crowd + schools that have tons of free time. Allopathic schools that have lots of scheduled activities and other things will NOT be able to use this program if they keep changing it like they are. But that's the point isn't it? Get people signed up on 2 year programs and try to replace preclinical sciences. If they can achieve that, they can charge a lot and still be very useful (for that crowd). A lot of AMGs don't like the idea of a long term GT program, most would rather cram up the test in the last 2-3 months after a solid 2 year education in the classroom.

haha honestly, i'm in the 6 week step 1 study period & i'm using GT to cram :laugh::laugh:. i'm 2 weeks down with 25% banked & 15% mastery. I already have a solid background on path/pharm/micro from classes, so instead i'm going to bank all of the other classes using GT. Also i'm putting "p" for all the extra #@$% that GT has on it. anyway, if this 6 week GT/FA/uworld cram plan works out, i'll post my progress here :laugh::laugh: also if this works, AMGs won't even need to pay for a GT subscription :smuggrin:

I like the program a lot and am investing LARGE amounts of time into it. But I'm kind of at their mercy too, if they drastically change the program when I'm 80% banked, it would be pretty dumb for me to abandon all that work months before taking Step 1. I just want it to stay how it is.

If it comes to that, just start putting questions you dislike into the 'perfect recall' category. You gotta do what you gotta do.

haha honestly, i'm in the 6 week step 1 study period & i'm using GT to cram :laugh::laugh:. i'm 2 weeks down with 25% banked & 15% mastery. I already have a solid background on path/pharm/micro from classes, so instead i'm going to bank all of the other classes using GT. Also i'm putting "p" for all the extra #@$% that GT has on it. anyway, if this 6 week GT/FA/uworld cram plan works out, i'll post my progress here :laugh::laugh: also if this works, AMGs won't even need to pay for a GT subscription :smuggrin:

Holy sh|t. You're moving @ ~2% banked every day? That's solid.

If it comes to that, just start putting questions you dislike into the 'perfect recall' category. You gotta do what you gotta do.

Exactly, I think no matter what they do I'll be able to work something out. I truly believe qbanks are the key, how you decide to learn/memorize all the crap doesn't really matter. Yet, GT is probably the best for memorizing.

Holy sh|t. You're moving @ ~2% banked every day? That's solid.

actually i'm moving kind of slow @ 2% a day because i'm working on material I haven't seen in a LONG time, like biochem, anatomy, embryo, etc...

I did get bored of it last week, & ended up banking all of GI physio/path/pharm last thursday/friday (4-5 days ago) & now i'm @ 65% mastery for GI. :smuggrin::smuggrin::smuggrin: GI is 8% of GT banked in 2 days :laugh:

If everything goes according to plan & Il finish up all the basic sciences this week, then go on a massive banking spree while pounding out uworld

fingers crossed, lets hope this pays off :xf:

actually i'm moving kind of slow @ 2% a day because i'm working on material I haven't seen in a LONG time, like biochem, anatomy, embryo, etc...

I did get bored of it last week, & ended up banking all of GI physio/path/pharm last thursday/friday (4-5 days ago) & now i'm @ 65% mastery for GI. :smuggrin::smuggrin::smuggrin: GI is 8% of GT banked in 2 days :laugh:

If everything goes according to plan & Il finish up all the basic sciences this week, then go on a massive banking spree while pounding out uworld

fingers crossed, lets hope this pays off :xf:

Wow, 4% a day is pretty intense. Maybe I'm too slow!

This is my take on GT:
I think it works well as a replacement of some subjects AND for step 1. Although someone mentioned the how and why not being the chief function in GT, that is true it doesn't have that. But what is great about GT for me is I prefer TYPED annotations in the little notes box (i.e.- if theres stuff about micro path that explains the "how" then I will add that...if there are critical issues about DX, how a disease looks, etc...I'll refer WebPath to it)...I know people will bash on the notes section is not that great but I personally like to add all my tidbits from classes, Levinson, Kaplan videos into that (and there's truly not much to add since GT is comprehensive to begin with. If consolidation is of your interest without having to write out all the stuff into FA, using multiple books that say the same thing in one form or another, then I think by annotating into GT, you have the "learning" part covered...but in all essence, I do agree that GT is meant to be a REVIEW after learning from your lectures or an external source. But at the end of the day, medicine is memorized (a large chunk), and you need more time into hammering stuff from fewer resources while doing as many retention-beneficial questions possible.

This is just my personal preference but using GT as my sole source for some (I'm just biased to that the online landscape/interface allows me to learn better) of the subjects and then maybe integrating Rx (to assure you've learned First Aid) and + UWorld and Kaplan might be good. I don't personally like the GT Qbank since it doesn't reflect the type of questions/lack good explanations.

I'm sold on the program!!!

As a rising MS2, I've stumbled across this program randomly and wanted to know if it actually works. It seems tedious but from your accounts, seems to be a proven process. Thanks for your input guys.

I'm going to try to run through the MS1 questions during vacation and go through MS2 material with my course load.

50 pages into micro/immuno and I have a pretty good feeling it's going to be my least favorite class of med school. This crap suuuuuuuucks

Has anyone noticed that Renal/Nephrology is a little funky? I found that the organ blocks usually parallel First Aid Organ Systems, but the nephrology section of GT is missing a good bit of stuff, both in terms of physiology and pathology....

Has anyone noticed that Renal/Nephrology is a little funky? I found that the organ blocks usually parallel First Aid Organ Systems, but the nephrology section of GT is missing a good bit of stuff, both in terms of physiology and pathology....

There are ALOT of topics missing from GT. Don't rely on it as your only source

With regard to the vignettes, I don't mind the good ones really.

These

A 23-year-old mother brings in her 7-year-old son for an eye exam. The child is noted to have decreased vision and is given a prescription for corrective glasses. Which of the following structures in the eye is not derived from the neuroectoderm?

are straight time wasters

He's probably lrkoehle's long lost twin or something :D. ~40 cards a day is nuts.

:laugh: Haha, I had flashbacks to that week and a half banking frenzy when I read about him doing ~4% a day. That is a pretty brutal pace to keep up with, unless it is basically the only thing you're doing during the day. Looking back, I'm glad past me did that, because present me has no interest in doing something so crazy (probably because I am on to new crazy, stupid stuff).

When you do review Qs, you can "customize your review schedule" for that question such that giving out a 5 won't be 14 days till you see the Q again, but whenever you want....however, this resets the "5" rating back to 14 days on the next question...is there a way to customize the days you'll see a a question after each rating 1-5 for ALL the questions rather than just that particular Question?

Also, I noticed that repeat questions in your GT daily quizzes for a certain subject are in fact questions from the GT Qbank which makes me think that the GT Qbank might be unnecessary as long as you do your daily questions....did anyone notice this as well?

Last edited:
When you do review Qs, you can "customize your review schedule" for that question such that giving out a 5 won't be 14 days till you see the Q again, but whenever you want....however, this resets the "5" rating back to 14 days on the next question...is there a way to customize the days you'll see a a question after each rating 1-5 for ALL the questions rather than just that particular Question?
Don't rate them a 5 if you want to see it sooner than 14 days. Why would you go through the trouble of customizing it instead of just rating it a 3 or 4? It seems so obvious to just rate it based on how soon you want to see it again.

ummm the issue isn't about seeing the 5 sooner (i mean obviously i would choose a 3 or 4 lol) but rather I'd prefer to have my 5s come up in say 1 month than 14 days just to truly space things based on my convenience. Just curious if you can customize a preset "days until you see a card" for each rating score 1-5 instead of doing it for each Q

ummm the issue isn't about seeing the 5 sooner (i mean obviously i would choose a 3 or 4 lol) but rather I'd prefer to have my 5s come up in say 1 month than 14 days just to truly space things based on my convenience. Just curious if you can customize a preset "days until you see a card" for each rating score 1-5 instead of doing it for each Q

No you can't do that, because it wouldn't make any sense. It would defeat the whole purpose of the program in fact. The point of GT is to allow you to do a spaced review of material based on their algorithm of how often you need to see it. Thus, if you just banked a card and added it to your daily questions, it will still come up sooner even if you rate it a 5, so that you can truly place it into long term memory. Once you've seen something you know a few times, then you just have to keep it in long-term memory, hence the longer review time. If you want to manipulate the system, then you have to do it on a question by question basis, which makes sense. You wouldn't want everything you rate as a 5 to come up in a month, right?

You have asked this question multiple times, and I just do not understand it at all. It seems to me that you basically want GT to read your mind and put the card where you want it in your schedule. As far as I know, that technology is not available to the public, so just use the custom review feature like the rest of us. It really only takes a couple seconds tops anyways.

I understand what you're saying and I have seen the same thing being suggested by another person on the GT feedback/idea/voting pages. But as far as I know that feature is not currently one that is heading towards implementation, because for most users it defeats the purpose of the system. The people who want this function tend to be people who have banked too much at once, imo.

I'm trying to keep up on what is being implemented because I seriously need a vacation function!

edit: no one responds for hours but i get ninja'd while typing my reply. my typical internet luck rofl : D great answer by lrkoehle

I understand what you're saying and I have seen the same thing being suggested by another person on the GT feedback/idea/voting pages. But as far as I know that feature is not currently one that is heading towards implementation, because for most users it defeats the purpose of the system. The people who want this function tend to be people who have banked too much at once, imo.

I'm trying to keep up on what is being implemented because I seriously need a vacation function!

edit: no one responds for hours but i get ninja'd while typing my reply. my typical internet luck rofl : D great answer by lrkoehle

:laugh: Haha, I hate when that happens. You're like, "ok, no one has responded, I'll step up and be the nice guy to try to help," and BAM! some jackass posts right before you making it look like you just basically copied what they said...bastards! :D

Dear gunners,

I'll be starting gt in two weeks once ms1 exams are over. Can I start off by getting the two week free trial on their website, and then move on to the one month free trial someone on sdn sent me? Also, after these trials, I was going to get the one year subscription. But I was also going to sign up for three month for price of one month (which we wont found out about till November?). So then will I get a refund back, or will it extend my one year subscription for another 3 months?

Thanks

Dear gunners,

I'll be starting gt in two weeks once ms1 exams are over. Can I start off by getting the two week free trial on their website, and then move on to the one month free trial someone on sdn sent me? Also, after these trials, I was going to get the one year subscription. But I was also going to sign up for three month for price of one month (which we wont found out about till November?). So then will I get a refund back, or will it extend my one year subscription for another 3 months?

Thanks

That 3 month for 1 deal has been expired since November 21 2011 (LAST YEAR). Even in the event that they launch a new deal like that, you'd just get your subscription extended, not refunded.

That 3 month for 1 deal has been expired since November 21 2011 (LAST YEAR). Even in the event that they launch a new deal like that, you'd just get your subscription extended, not refunded.

Lol I see. Thank you. Do you know if I can do the free 1.5 months though?

No clue if it stacks :/ If it works by inputting a code, then maybe. If they both require you to make separate accounts then probably no.

I don't think it works like that. The free month is a link to a sign up page I believe, as opposed to simply being a coupon code you put in to get the free month. On occasion though, they will post a code for a free month (last time was a few months back), so if a year long membership puts you like a month short of your expected step-I exam date, you may be able to get that month for free at some point. I know that was my concern Initially, so I slightly delayed starting GT so that I would make sure the free month + 12 month subscription took me easily through my anticipated step-I date. Now with that free month I have more than enough time, but I didn't want to run out of my GT subscription like 2 weeks before my exam or have to buy a separate month.

I don't think it works like that. The free month is a link to a sign up page I believe, as opposed to simply being a coupon code you put in to get the free month. On occasion though, they will post a code for a free month (last time was a few months back), so if a year long membership puts you like a month short of your expected step-I exam date, you may be able to get that month for free at some point. I know that was my concern Initially, so I slightly delayed starting GT so that I would make sure the free month + 12 month subscription took me easily through my anticipated step-I date. Now with that free month I have more than enough time, but I didn't want to run out of my GT subscription like 2 weeks before my exam or have to buy a separate month.

Hey lrkoehle. This was my next concern. I know that the last 5 weeks of board studying time is when people hammer in all the Uworld stuff, DIT, redoing fa. I wanted to ask if it was useful to use gt up until board prep date, or if the other sources will become more important. I also have to prepare for the comlex too, so that's another 4000 questions I won't be able do till 3 weeks prior. Seems like it may add up with gt

Hey lrkoehle. This was my next concern. I know that the last 5 weeks of board studying time is when people hammer in all the Uworld stuff, DIT, redoing fa. I wanted to ask if it was useful to use gt up until board prep date, or if the other sources will become more important. I also have to prepare for the comlex too, so that's another 4000 questions I won't be able do till 3 weeks prior. Seems like it may add up with gt

It's a lot of work, but hopefully by the time you're heading into your study period you only have at most 200-300 questions a day (maybe less if you're lucky). That way it doesn't take too much time to keep up with GT, but keeping up with GT seems important, because there will still be things you're trying to learn/remember during that time and having GT constantly force you to review them day after day will shore up those weak spots heading into boards. Assuming GT only takes like 2 hours a day, you should still have a fair amount of time for other things as well. Still, I will admit that I thought a 12 hour study day was SOOOOO much time that I could do all kinds of stuff, so now my 12 hour days have morphed into more like 15-16ish hour days (with some SDN breaks worked in there of course :p). In the end, you'll have to decide if you want to keep doing GT, but it seemed to make sense to me to keep up with just doing my daily questions so that's what I do, even if I don't get around to them until like 10 or 11 at night.

It's a lot of work, but hopefully by the time you're heading into your study period you only have at most 200-300 questions a day (maybe less if you're lucky). That way it doesn't take too much time to keep up with GT, but keeping up with GT seems important, because there will still be things you're trying to learn/remember during that time and having GT constantly force you to review them day after day will shore up those weak spots heading into boards. Assuming GT only takes like 2 hours a day, you should still have a fair amount of time for other things as well. Still, I will admit that I thought a 12 hour study day was SOOOOO much time that I could do all kinds of stuff, so now my 12 hour days have morphed into more like 15-16ish hour days (with some SDN breaks worked in there of course :p). In the end, you'll have to decide if you want to keep doing GT, but it seemed to make sense to me to keep up with just doing my daily questions so that's what I do, even if I don't get around to them until like 10 or 11 at night.

Sweet thank you. I'll start with the one month then 1 yr. this should take me till the end of June next year :) please tell us how you do on the boards. GL

Also, I noticed that repeat questions in your GT daily quizzes for a certain subject are in fact questions from the GT Qbank which makes me think that the GT Qbank might be unnecessary as long as you do your daily questions....did anyone notice this as well?

What is your % banked on GT?