guns and the mentally ill......

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vistaril

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've had more than 1 stable outpt(general depression/anxiety stuff...probably should be managed by pcps) tell me that this shooting in public in colorado has made them more likely to concealed carry. Their reasoning was that there are so many evil people out there that it's a good idea to have something on you to counteract this evil when neccessary.....

And I told them that this issue really doesnt have anything to do with psychiatry or their mental healt care, but that as a citizen i couldnt agree more.....

not that it makes it "worth it" in any way, but if one good thing does come from this tragedy perhaps it will be that more responsible citizens will take to concealed carry more(and in states that allow it, open carry as well).....

Members don't see this ad.

I've had more than 1 stable outpt(general depression/anxiety stuff...probably should be managed by pcps) tell me that this shooting in public in colorado has made them more likely to concealed carry. Their reasoning was that there are so many evil people out there that it's a good idea to have something on you to counteract this evil when neccessary.....

And I told them that this issue really doesnt have anything to do with psychiatry or their mental healt care, but that as a citizen i couldnt agree more.....

not that it makes it "worth it" in any way, but if one good thing does come from this tragedy perhaps it will be that more responsible citizens will take to concealed carry more(and in states that allow it, open carry as well).....

Come on now, your just obviously looking to poke a hornets nest here. You openly admitted it had nothing to do with psychiatry, take it to the politics message board.

Come on now, your just obviously looking to poke a hornets nest here. You openly admitted it had nothing to do with psychiatry, take it to the politics message board.

sorry, I honestly wasn't aware that there were strict rules on this. It is more a political thread, and so if those are the rules it can rightfully be closed.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd shy away from issues that do not have to directly do with psychiatry when dealing with patients. Yeah, here or there I mention a little philosophical stuff because in the course of getting to know a patient things like this are said.

Be careful about telling a patient you agree or disagree with them on such a hot issue. The patient could be taking it as you saying it's medically approved. If a patient ever asks me for a non-medical opinion, I usually just tell them I'm not supposed to give non-medical advice. If it's one of those things where I really can't avoid it or it won't cause much harm anyways, I tell them my opinion but say my opinion is not medically or professionally-based but just that of another person and it should've be taken as professional advice.

To take it in a slightly different direction:

I had a patient with a rather half hearted suicide attempt recently that they and their family attributed to "the shootings in Colorado"
I'm not quite sure how a shooting in another state for which they have no direct connection equals a suicide attempt. However, I can appreciate patients and doctors alike have all experienced some stress as a result of this tragedy.

Has anyone else had patients recently, or following similar events have problems?

Is it something you might bring up with a patient (ex: How has the shooting in CO affected you...)

Last edited by a moderator:

Yes---and if there's anything that America needs, it's more guns on the streets in the hands of people with "general depression/anxiety stuff"...

Oh I can't go on...

Be careful about telling a patient you agree or disagree with them on such a hot issue. The patient could be taking it as you saying it's medically approved.

Quoted for emphasis. You want to be very cautious about the kind of things (and even, how much of anything at all) you disclose personally to a patient vistaril.

Yes---and if there's anything that America needs, it's more guns on the streets in the hands of people with "general depression/anxiety stuff"...

Oh I can't go on...

hey, a rare thing I agree with opd on :)

I really don't think I was agreeing, unless you were agreeing with my sarcasm.
I think it's actually a 99.4% $h1tty idea.
These aren't people I particularly expect to be cool, calm, and collected in crisis.

I was just being sarcastic(as you were)......

the reason the "gun issue" hasn't been debated much in the mainstream media is because that battle has been long since faught and won(in a slaughter).......

I really don't think I was agreeing, unless you were agreeing with my sarcasm.
I think it's actually a 99.4% $h1tty idea.
These aren't people I particularly expect to be cool, calm, and collected in crisis.

Now that you're stepping down as mod, you have all the freedom in the world to start an ignore list. It was the best thing I ever did with this guy. About once a year we have somebody show up for a few months that just entirely ruins the tone of the entire board and then fades into the ephemera. It's just not a battle worth fighting.

Now that you're stepping down as mod, you have all the freedom in the world to start an ignore list. It was the best thing I ever did with this guy. About once a year we have somebody show up for a few months that just entirely ruins the tone of the entire board and then fades into the ephemera. It's just not a battle worth fighting.

now if we could only ignore his quotes in other people's replies, things could be back to the way they were :laugh:

now if we could only ignore his quotes in other people's replies, things could be back to the way they were :laugh:

frankly, if people in here think my comments are overly oppositional/confrontational/whatever, I'd say you're skin isn't nearly thick enough.

frankly, if people in here think my comments are overly oppositional/confrontational/whatever, I'd say you're skin isn't nearly thick enough.

Probably true... maybe we get enough exposure to that type of behavior at work? just a thought. Maybe our transference toward you is getting out of hand.

I do think your posts have value but I think they lose ground when they start off by devaluing the other person. There should be some rules for playing in the playground.

when making sandcastles and realizing that the clay-like substance that adds cohesion to your towers isn't what it seems can be a most unpleasant surprise...

Yeah but if you rinse off the sand they make the best tootsie rolls!

Wish there was an option for this. Maybe we could all make some sort f agreement to stop quoting, lol.

I do think vistaril's tone, although always controversial, has slightly improved lately. I've seen less disparaging remarks about our field...

Wish there was an option for this. Maybe we could all make some sort f agreement to stop quoting, lol.

I do think vistaril's tone, although always controversial, has slightly improved lately. I've seen less disparaging remarks about our field...

lol...I've said it before but you people are just way too sensitive.

Do I think there are some rather concerning problems within the field of psychiatry, psychiatry training and our mental health field in general? Of course. I think *lots* of people do. Posting about them is hardly the problem......

Yeah but if you rinse off the sand they make the best tootsie rolls!

I was talking from personal experience... and let's just say the smell on my hands took away any fantasies for sweet and delicious candy. I hope you were just joking, cause if not... you were one deranged little child ;)