Guts to decline a med school offer!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DENTEYE

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
It takes a lot to decline an offer that you've worked so hard for, involving a lot of sacrifices,burning mid night oil ,money and time spent and what not. I personally feel one needs nerves of steel to do it.
May be a lot of situations need to be considered which could've been different
at the time of applying not being congenial now. After decling it takes a long time to recoup.
My sister had to go thru this. Esp she was given less than a day's time to make such an imp decision.
Has anyone faced a similar situation before?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not sure what you are asking. In US allopathic schools you can just "collect" acceptances until you know who is extending the best package. You have until May 15th to pick one and let the others know you will not be matriculating.

So this might be the appropriate thread for my question...

I know someone who applied to MD and DO schools, only got accepted to the DO schools, and then rejected all of those offers and is doing a PhD in biology while getting ready to reapply. This leads me to wonder: is it possible to transfer from a DO school to an MD school after doing the first two years of coursework?

Members don't see this ad :)

I know someone who applied to MD and DO schools, only got accepted to the DO schools, and then rejected all of those offers and is doing a PhD in biology while getting ready to reapply. This leads me to wonder: is it possible to transfer from a DO school to an MD school after doing the first two years of coursework?

I'm not sure if its really possible, I've heard wives tales that it is, but why would you go through the process of getting into a DO school and then transfer? If the end result is that you really want to be a MD, then only apply there. Why take a spot away from someone who really wants to attend and graduate from a DO school?

It is not currently possible to transfer from DO school to MD school. You can, however, apply to MD residencies as a DO.

Looks like George Washington University School of Medicine accepts D.O. transfers.

I'm not sure what you are asking. In US allopathic schools you can just "collect" acceptances until you know who is extending the best package. You have until May 15th to pick one and let the others know you will not be matriculating.

This is not generally or universally true as many medical schools give you a time frame in which to make a decision. You can send in a deposit to hold your seat but that deposit may not be refundable if you elect to attend another school. This becomes expensive and most students do not do "collect acceptances" and try to go to the highest bidder.

This makes things especially difficult as a number of schools (Ivies in particular) will delay sending out acceptance letters until late in February. That leaves some folks paying a non-refundable deposit to the school that accepted them early only to lose that money if they accept offer of admission from a school that sends out later acceptance letters.

On May 15th (and this may be changing in the future), you cannot hold more than one acceptance. You may be on a wait list and hold an acceptance but you can't hold more than one. This is why many wait lists will move after May 15th

Please do not apply to osteopathic school if you have this in mind. Chances are it will not happen.

Reapply or go Carribean

Last edited: