Guyton or "Berne and Levy"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tega

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
beerne and levy is the offical text for my physio class...but most sutdents prefer guyton....they claim its an easy read.

which do y'all think is better.

personally i think B&l is just as good if not better. its abad read compared to guyton, but it explains some of the concepts in more details than guyton. which i think gives a better understanding.

i rather go with berne..then stars to review.......than to read guyton

however..berne sucks in EKG.....while guyton did EKG pretty well.....newyz..gots to go hit the books. got the physio ttest coming tuesday...cardio physiology...20% of final grade.

Members don't see this ad.

We don't have a required text -- only core notes from the professors (of variable quality.) Our course director has said we can get any text, but that Guyton is too simplistic and we will be tested on more. Does anyone know of a more comprehensive, detail-oriented physio text? Thanks!

Originally posted by scully
We don't have a required text -- only core notes from the professors (of variable quality.) Our course director has said we can get any text, but that Guyton is too simplistic and we will be tested on more. Does anyone know of a more comprehensive, detail-oriented physio text? Thanks!

berne and levy...more time consuming ..but definately more detailed.

but doesnt make many concrete clinical correlations.....its almost like moore(anatomy)....it uses side boxes to illustatrate clinical relevance of various concepts.

but guyton tends to incorporate the clinicals into the text it self.

Members don't see this ad :)
we use berne and levy, it's alright for EKG, i didn't have the same experience as you. but we have alot of class notes to supplement it. never tried guyton.

Guyton is good, although I'd suggest you check out "Review of Medical Physiology" by Ganong. At 870 pages it's not a small review book -- it's very comprehensive. Concise and efficient. :)

Hmm - I got BRS Physio over the summer, and hadn't planned on anything else. Are either of those two books really worthwhile in addition *even* if you get notes from your med school profs?

We don't get physio till next semester btw. :)

We used berne and levy for my undergrad physio class, and most people hated it. I can see how it would be good for med school, though. We don't have phys until next semester, either, so I'll see what they recommend, but probably use the berne and levy since I already have it.

We use Guyton, and it's not as detailed as the published class notes. Usually, if I don't understand something from the notes, Guyton isn't much help.

BRS physio is key... I used it, along with lecture transcripts/handouts for the bulk of my study in physio. I have a Guyton, and looked at it once or twice for reference. BRS is also the only thing I read for phys for Step 1.

Good luck!

How I feel about Berne & Levy: BURN AND LEAVE IT.

Stick with Guyton and either BRS or STARS (I thought Costanzo, who wrote both BRS and STARS, was awesome... STARS was the best book for physio.)

I think B&L sucks! Bought the book and maybe highlighted a couple sentences. Totally useless to me.

I just saw the second edition of a physio textbook by Costanzo at my bookstore (blue softcover)...is this STARS? Has anyone else used it and would recommend it in addition to BRS and class notes?

I bought both BRS and STARS. Hope that wasnt the stupidest move.

BRS, baby. The key is, when it's time for board review (I'm doing that now in 2nd year), you'll be glad you have it and used it. Plus, there's a ton of review questions that will be good both for your class exam and for the boards. That said, if anyone wants to buy my barely-used B&L from last year...

I own both, Guyton and Berne and Levy. so far my vote goes to guyton. i feel that i retain much more after reading guyton. who knows maybe i can use both. part of the reason why i havent been using my berne and levy is because i bought it used and the person who owned it before went psychotic with highlighters. multicolour and everywhere.... ayieeeeee

nuclearrabbit

northwestern -2006