GWU PsyD Interview Invites?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrMaxPsyD

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been reading along here for a while now and decided to join everyone in the agony of waiting for an invite.

GWU PsyD sent out invites this week, any chance they send out invites in waves? Do they waitlist applicants? I feel like pleading my case to the commitee a la Meredith on Greys Anatomy "pick me, choose me" :laugh: But I am half serious :idea:

This is my top school and I've been stalking the interview invite thread waiting and it looks like they sent invites early this year. This is the most anxious I've been in a while! Please soothe my anxiety and tell me any and everything you can about the PsyD interview/process at GWU?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm waiting for GW as well. Last year it looks like they gave out interviews on two separate days, about 3 days apart from each other. So there's still hope!

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know how many people GWU usually interviews each year for the PsyD program? I am curious as to what people's odds are once they make it to an interview.

Does anyone know if they mail or e-mail invites?

Invitations came out over three days, all via phone, from the program secretary. Interviews are held on four different days, at a total of ten different time slots. As far as I know, the interviews are not necessarily with the students' POIs.

I received an invite on 1/19 via telephone and will interview on 3/6.

Has anyone interviewed here yet? Can you post feedback?

So there are forty interviews...anyone know how many spots they are interviewing for? Judging from years past the average has been in the neighborhood of 35....

So there are forty interviews...anyone know how many spots they are interviewing for? Judging from years past the average has been in the neighborhood of 35....

I'm curious...why do you think there are 40 interviews?

I'm interviewing there on 2/26.

It was posted above that there are four interview dates "at a total of ten different time slots." If there are no other slots or days, that likely amounts to forty. I may not have all the information -- there could be different teams working each of the four days, and each with ten slots.....but it seems safe to assume there are more than ten total.

Members don't see this ad :)
It was posted above that there are four interview dates "at a total of ten different time slots." If there are no other slots or days, that likely amounts to forty. I may not have all the information -- there could be different teams working each of the four days, and each with ten slots.....but it seems safe to assume there are more than ten total.

Ahh gotcha. On three days there are two time slots and on one day there are four. So there's actually only a total of ten to choose from...not 10 X 4. So yes, it would make sense that more than one candidate was able to pick their preferred time (probably 4-5 for each). I wish they would tell us ahead of time who our interviewers are.

Ahh gotcha. On three days there are two time slots and on one day there are four. So there's actually only a total of ten to choose from...not 10 X 4. So yes, it would make sense that more than one candidate was able to pick their preferred time (probably 4-5 for each). I wish they would tell us ahead of time who our interviewers are.

Yeah -- I'd like to know that too...

As for your numbers, how do you arrive at the guess of 4-5 applicants per time slot (if that is indeed what you're getting at)? Do you have any further information regarding this and/or past years such as the size of applicant pools, number of interviews offered, number of acceptances?

Yeah -- I'd like to know that too...

As for your numbers, how do you arrive at the guess of 4-5 applicants per time slot (if that is indeed what you're getting at)? Do you have any further information regarding this and/or past years such as the size of applicant pools, number of interviews offered, number of acceptances?

I don't know this for a fact. I'm only guessing because the entire interview process including refreshments, orientation, and two 40-minute interviews only lasts 2 hours. They would need four faculty members present to interview four candidates. Assuming some would interview at the 12:00 time and some would interview at the 1:15 time...it just seems like interviewing 10 people in such a short amount of time could be hectic. It's very possible I'm wrong.

It's funny because I have the 08-09 Insider's Guide and the quantitative information for GWU admissions is incomplete. It says:

"337 applied/admissions offers/33 incoming."

So, your guess is as good as mine. :oops:

I don't know this for a fact. I'm only guessing because the entire interview process including refreshments, orientation, and two 40-minute interviews only lasts 2 hours. They would need four faculty members present to interview four candidates. Assuming some would interview at the 12:00 time and some would interview at the 1:15 time...it just seems like interviewing 10 people in such a short amount of time could be hectic. It's very possible I'm wrong.

It's funny because I have the 08-09 Insider's Guide and the quantitative information for GWU admissions is incomplete. It says:

"337 applied/admissions offers/33 incoming."

So, your guess is as good as mine. :oops:

Well in any case we seem to have approached the same estimate in our own ways. Maybe just wishful thinking?

As for data I have the APA's 2008 Graduate Study in Psychology. For the year 2006/2007, out of 350 applicants GWU accepted 30, but had 33 new F-T students admitted/enrolled. Not sure I understand those numbers. FWIW, according to this publication GWU projected having 30 openings in 2007/2008.

Guess we'll just have to ask if they have more/more current information, or do a head count and extrapolate...

Just an FYI: I interviewed at GW's Psy.D. program on Friday. They are interviewing 120 candidates for 36 spots. eek :eek:

PM me if you want any specific info about it.

Just an FYI: I interviewed at GW's Psy.D. program on Friday. They are interviewing 120 candidates for 36 spots. eek :eek:

PM me if you want any specific info about it.

Thanks for posting the information.

120 is certainly higher than I had figured/hoped, but who amongst us hasn't beaten tougher odds? A point to consider is that they are likely to extend at least a handful more offers than they have slots available. Did they offer any info/numbers to that effect? Also, I wonder how many applications they received in total? If it was at least three times as many, than those who have been offered an interview have already beaten at least similar odds.

Regardless of where you're interviewing: just stay true to your unique vision, don't forget the power of schmoozing, and your beauty shines. After that -- there's no accounting for matters of taste. :)

I don't know how many offers they are extending, but they said that they reviewed around 350 applications this year. The DCT emphasized that getting an interview was an accomplishment in itself.

Wow, I didn't even make the cut of 120...

Now that the interviews are over, anyone care to talk about their experience?

Did anyone who received invites, did you have much in the way of presentations/publications?

For those of you that applied and received interview invites would you be willing to share here or via PM your stats?

• GRE Score
  • # of Presentations
  • # of Publications
  • # GPA
  • Years of Clinical Experience

Personal Statement: Feel free to PM me on this. I would like to discuss how you addressed with part of the application with a program that weighs heavily on the psychodynamic end. Did you talk about personal childhood experiences? What was your angle? I tend to stray away from discussing intensely personal experiences in a professional setting so this, admittedly is difficult for me to do.

Thanks!

Has anyone interviewed here yet? Can you post feedback?

i didn't like it. i won't be accepting if i get accepted. not that i necessarily will be accepted but even if i am there will be another free spot.

i didn't like it. i won't be accepting if i get accepted. not that i necessarily will be accepted but even if i am there will be another free spot.

I am in agreement with wagwise. The experience as a whole rubbed me the wrong way. I was asked really personal questions by one interviewer and I felt as if the "information" given to interviewees took a very defensive stance on the program's psychodynamic orientation. However, the students seemed really happy.

In regards to your stats question:

BA GPA: 3.0
MA GPA: 3.7
GRE: 1270 PSYCH: 650
1 publication and 1 presentation
around 2.5 years of clinical experience

I didn't mention anything at all in my SOP about the psychodynamic framework (it didn't help that there was a 500-word limit) so I don't really think it's necessary. I focused more on why I wanted to go to a clinically oriented program rather than a research oriented one and the depth of clinical training they offered. If you have other questions, feel free to ask.

For those of you that applied and received interview invites would you be willing to share here or via PM your stats?

• GRE Score
  • # of Presentations
  • # of Publications
  • # GPA
  • Years of Clinical Experience

Personal Statement: Feel free to PM me on this. I would like to discuss how you addressed with part of the application with a program that weighs heavily on the psychodynamic end. Did you talk about personal childhood experiences? What was your angle? I tend to stray away from discussing intensely personal experiences in a professional setting so this, admittedly is difficult for me to do.

Thanks!

GRE: 1090 Psy GRE 670
GPA: 3.5 Psy GPA: 3.8
Presentations: 4, first author on one
Research experience 2.5 yrs in 2 different labs
Clinical experience: 1 yr

Personal statement: I mainly talked about my experience and my career goals (why I want to be a psychologist). I didn't talk about my personal experiences at all....I mentioned why I applied to GWU and why I like Psychodynamic orientation

I didn't like the program either....i wasnt interviewed with any of the professors that shared my research interest and the whole interview day was really short....I didnt get a chance to really get to know the students and faculty....I also felt like the students weren't really that close and I'm looking for a program that has a strong support system....

• GRE Score: 670 Q, 720 V
  • # of Presentations: 0
  • # of Publications: 0
  • # GPA: 3.41
  • Years of Clinical Experience: approx 2 years research assistant as undergrad
I liked this program and I hope I get in!

I encourage those who have interviewed to use the SDN Interview feedback form as well. FWIW if I am accepted my decision will be based to a large part on the financial aid offered...

I also felt like the interview day was very impersonal and very short. After I left, I felt like I hadn't really learned much except that they're very psychodynamic. I also did not get a good vibe from some of the current graduate students...one in particular seemed very standoffish and unhappy to be there. The professors who interviewed me were awesome but they did not share any common interests with me which I found strange.

Does anyone else remember the DCT telling us we MUST make tell them whether or not we will attend by April 1st? I heard that no program can pressure you into a decision until April 15th. Does anyone know the rules for this?

Hmmmm... I don't remember meeting the DCT. As long as we're at it, I don't recall if we were told to expect notification regardless of the decision, or whether notification can be expected via phone and/or email. :oops:

Does anyone else remember the DCT telling us we MUST make tell them whether or not we will attend by April 1st? I heard that no program can pressure you into a decision until April 15th. Does anyone know the rules for this?

Okay, so I went back some literature I received from one of the schools I applied to... They stated that April 15th is the date indicated by the APA for uniform notification, but it is not mandatory for schools to follow. As For GWU I went over the info I got at the interview and could not find any dates about deadlines. I did see that the emails tomorrow will indicate either "accepted with financial aid", "accepted without financial aid" or "waitlisted". No indication about rejections though .....

Has anyone heard anything yet? I keep refreshing my inbox...

This is torturous! They give us an EXACT date then make us wait AT LEAST to the end of the business day if not until the NEXT day! I know the lady who gave the interview introduction said that we'd hear the 22nd and possibly the 23rd if she couldn't finish notifying in one day but really..... this sucks. Anyone else have a terrible, stressful night of sleep last night?

...to the program. (i think i hate the emoticons. So i won't use them.)

so they ARE sending offers out today. Don't yet know if I'm going to accept.

...to the program. (i think i hate the emoticons. So i won't use them.)

so they ARE sending offers out today. Don't yet know if I'm going to accept.

Congrats! Was it via email like they said, or did you get a call too??

Thank you!

It was an email from the director of the program, Dr. Holmes.

Thank you!

It was an email from the director of the program, Dr. Holmes.

:)

I was excited about the email as well... Are you planning to take the offer? I was a little disappointed to not receive any financial aid..

Did it look like it was a mass email, or specifically written to just you? (I'm sorry for being so nitpicky, GW's just my top choice and I'm dying to know what's up.)

Did it look like it was a mass email, or specifically written to just you? (I'm sorry for being so nitpicky, GW's just my top choice and I'm dying to know what's up.)

Hey- it was specifically addressed to me- I responded with a note of thanks and Dr. Holmes immediately responded.. I am guessing she is sending them one at a time... Fingers crossed for you :)

Is there any consensus on "finishing up" on the 23rd meaning "sending rejections on the 23rd"? This has all panned out poorly for me thus far....

I was interviewed as well and I too didn't like the program. I found the faculty to be really stand-offish and their entire approach rather cold. It didn't help that my interviewer decided to take me to task on my undergrad GPA (I got my undergrad 20 years ago!), and my scores/GPA were higher than those who have posted theirs.... In fact, when I went back to the Psychology guidebook I have, my scores/GPA are right around the average for last year's incoming class! :bullcrap:Plus, he refused to accept my excellent master's GPA as proof of my academic qualifications.

I don't think I'll be going there if I'm accepted. I have one offer already (to a master's program I liked much better) and am waiting on a third offer (PsyD) where I think I nailed the interview.

I was interviewed as well and I too didn't like the program. I found the faculty to be really stand-offish and their entire approach rather cold. It didn't help that my interviewer decided to take me to task on my undergrad GPA (I got my undergrad 20 years ago!), and my scores/GPA were higher than those who have posted theirs.... In fact, when I went back to the Psychology guidebook I have, my scores/GPA are right around the average for last year's incoming class! :bullcrap:Plus, he refused to accept my excellent master's GPA as proof of my academic qualifications.

I don't think I'll be going there if I'm accepted. I have one offer already (to a master's program I liked much better) and am waiting on a third offer (PsyD) where I think I nailed the interview.

I am sorry to hear your experience there was so negative. I had the total opposite experience- the faculty I met were friendly and we spent time in the interview talking theory..

Congrats Gabo! I got in too!

They REALLY emphasized how psychodynamic they are during the interview day, but does anyone know if there is any exposure to other types of interventions/treatments?

Congrats Gabo! I got in too!

They REALLY emphasized how psychodynamic they are during the interview day, but does anyone know if there is any exposure to other types of interventions/treatments?

Someone asked about that during the initial presentation- we will have the opportunity to utilize CBT as well.. There is a required class on it during the 2nd or 3rd year.