Hair-splitting: Spring 2024 senior undergraduate course load - seeking to maximize MSTP competitiveness

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SilkyMarble

Reaction score
Hi all,
I am trying to orient my senior undergraduate schedule such that my classes will maximize competitiveness for an MSTP program.
I have discussed this with members of the Biology and Chemistry departments, with differing views. I have received recommendations for the following classes to fill the slot with the following rationales:

BIOLB151 (A&P II) - 11:00 - 12:00 MWF and 1:00-4:00 W (lab)
  • Advised by pre-med advisors in promotion of the course
  • Thesis mentor (Biology Department) advised against this as he didn't believe this was exhibiting enough course challenge and also stated that an MSTP program would easily catch me up with this as opposed to skills like stats
CHEMH305 (Quantum Chemistry) - 8:30 - 10:00 TR
  • Advised by thesis mentor (Biology Department) on the basis that this class is one of the hardest ones available to me and would demonstrate academic tenacity, given I performed well (which is absolutely non-negotiable, so I will) - he has communicated with another admissions director who loosely echoes this "challenge" approach
  • Various individuals at the Student-Doctor Network (SDN) weren't enthused by CHEM courses with little biomedical application though this advice was admittedly more tailored to med students
PSYCH200 (Research Methods and Statistics) - 10:00 - 11:30 MW and 2:30 - 4:00 R (lab)
  • Advised as an alternative by thesis mentor on the basis that this course would catch me up on key statistical skills required for data collection, analysis, and interpretation in research (or reading papers in general) as I have 0 experience in statistics (as a formal class, but have been exposed in research)
I already have significant research experience as described in a previous thread and will be taking at least one gap year (likely two) to have a full time research experience on top of it - GPA 3.95 (I have taken PChem and gotten a 4.0). MCAT not officially taken, but projections from practice exams put me in the 520+ range, if that is really needed here.
If additional context is needed to inform advice, I can provide my entire 4 year course load. Biochemistry concentrator, Chemistry major, Neuroscience minor.

Also, if course load matters relatively little compared to the research experience I have and will have, just tell me, and I'll likely go A&P II just to boost my MCAT readiness.

Members don't see this ad.

I don’t think it matters all that much. Pretty sure they mainly look at major/minor and GPA. Just take the easiest one, it’s your senior spring

Reactions: 3 users
I don’t think it matters all that much. Pretty sure they mainly look at major/minor and GPA. Just take the easiest one, it’s your senior spring
The only question anyone has asked me about my undergrad classes are why I picked my major and my favorite/most interesting class.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I like the idea of the stats class if you haven’t had a formal course in it before. Stats was helpful for me to analyze my own data in the lab and make suggestions. Also, I think stats and reading papers in a group (esp interpreting graphs, figures) was really useful later for B&B and P&S on MCAT.

If you already have experience with it in research, it will also probably be an easier class too. Just my opinion.

I don't pay much, if any, attention to the actual courses an applicant took.

I don't recall an adcom ever commenting on the exact courses that someone took as part of their decision making.

GPA matters. MCAT score matters. Maybe someone comments on your major and institution, though I personally try to avoid elitism since I find it discriminatory against applicants from low SES backgrounds.