Hard Decision

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Neocaridina

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got accepted to ICO and western. I applied late and those are the only 2 schools I got interviewed and i got into both. Western is closer to home but ICO on paper is a better school. I guess the question I want to ask is will I get a good education at western or should I go to ICO? Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

I went to ICO, never heard anything about Western. What's the difference in tuition? How much closer to home? Is being home important to you? ICO was a pretty comfortable school. Congrats.

it is about 5k difference. Western is about 45min and ICO is like 4 hours plane ride. Being home saves alot of money. I think im leaning towards western but being it new there isnt a whole lot of information out there.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm a relatively new grad in SoCal and I haven't run into many grads or students from Western so beats me. 45 min away from home sounds pretty sweet. Go with what makes you comfortable, because if you're comfortable, you can focus all your energy on learning. I'm sure you'll get a sufficient education.

Good luck with your decision making.

I had a similar dilemma, I got into Pacific and Western and declined interviews at ICO and PCO since they were even further than Pacific. I think it really depends on what you want. I'm about 45 minutes away from Western as well and I plan on commuting which was a really difficult decision for me. I decided that I wanted to save money in the long run, considering that optometry school is gonna cost us ~$40k in just tuition alone. Another part of my decision came from the fact that while Western is considered one of the newer schools, it has a great faculty and staff, many of whom came from the better known schools. I also know someone who graduated from Western, loved his time there and is working full time now. Not to mention, I was also really impressed with their facilities.

Good luck making your decision! :)

thanks for all the replies, i will accepting western's offer!