Hard work with nothing to lose...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chadori

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I haven't been on this forum since I transferred to a UT Austin from a community college. I'm posting this here because I feel that none of the other subforums apply to me thus far.

As a high school student, I never really cared for academics and had always planned on going to a community college only to transfer later on. When I got to community college, I told myself that I had nothing to lose and that I may as well put in effort to see what I was capable of. I really never thought that I would transfer into, arguably, the best public university in Texas. My first semester was decent (A,A-,B+,B-). Second semester was better (A,A,A,B+). One of those A's came from a very difficult genetics teacher whose multiple choice questions were supposedly worded mcat style.

My point for posting is that I feel that I have grown as a student in only a short amount of time. As I'm heading into my third semester I am ecstatic to start a new round and to extend my abilities even further. With that said, I can't help but to ponder sometimes if "trying hard" is enough. Is there a point where natural talents cannot be outdone by shear tenacity?

Another unsettling feeling is that I know medical school prefers that the science pre reqs be taken at a four year university, but from the feedback that I get from my peers, it doesn't seem that taking physics here is a smart decision grade-wise. I'm only taking algebra based and most likely am not going to take it at a community college just because of some underlying stubbornness that would accept a B over an A at times.

I know that there is more comments than questions in this post, but if I may gather perspective from other individuals, that would be great.

Thank you all

Members don't see this ad.

1. Hard work is the most important factor by far. if you keep working hard, there is absolutely no reason to set limits upon yourself. you've succeeded so far, you will continue to succeed. just keep working.

2. GPA is the most important thing. I think the whole "don't take courses at other places" thing is blown out of proportion on here. I would, however, recommend doing the physics class at maybe another public university nearby instead of a CC. do whatever you have to to ensure good grades, something I wish I would have done. if you can work hard at your school and do well, do it. if not, take it elsewhere.

You have a tabula rasa and it's still a pretty good one. I will be honest though those B's should have been A's. You are at a more difficult institution now, and from here on out every grade is permanent, remember that. That means you have to do WHATEVER IT TAKES to get A's. If you have to stay up 18 hours straight studying for an exam to ace it, then do it (I had to). If you need to survive on Mountain Dew and coffee to not pass out then do it. You feel nauseous? So what. Just don't cheat, take drugs, or do anything that is unethical or anything that will get you in trouble. Also, don't be selfish and always be willing to help out others. Karma will always find you.

How much pain are you willing to take to succeed. That is the question and the bottom line.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
1. Hard work is the most important factor by far. if you keep working hard, there is absolutely no reason to set limits upon yourself. you've succeeded so far, you will continue to succeed. just keep working.

2. GPA is the most important thing. I think the whole "don't take courses at other places" thing is blown out of proportion on here. I would, however, recommend doing the physics class at maybe another public university nearby instead of a CC. do whatever you have to to ensure good grades, something I wish I would have done. if you can work hard at your school and do well, do it. if not, take it elsewhere.

For sure, there is no nearby public university here, or not that I know of. I will continue to consider all of my option seeing as how I have another semester before I start physics.

You have a tabula rasa and it's still a pretty good one. I will be honest though those B's should have been A's. You are at a more difficult institution now, and from here on out every grade is permanent, remember that. That means you have to do WHATEVER IT TAKES to get A's. If you have to stay up 18 hours straight studying for an exam to ace it, then do it (I had to). If you need to survive on Mountain Dew and coffee to not pass out then do it. You feel nauseous? So what. Just don't cheat, take drugs, or do anything that is unethical or anything that will get you in trouble. Also, don't be selfish and always be willing to help out others. Karma will always find you.

How much pain are you willing to take to succeed. That is the question and the bottom line.

I love the hip-hop preacher. He was what got me through my genetics class. And I agree, those B's should have been A's. Now that I look back it may have been because I was still trying to adjust to living on my own and balancing responsibilities and school. It looks like I will be needing a whole year of A's to get to a 3.8, but I look forward to the challenge.

As far as sugary drinks, I am all too familiar with red bull and monster. During the school year, it becomes an addiction and come test time I have to drink at least one a day just to feel normal.

For sure, there is no nearby public university here, or not that I know of. I will continue to consider all of my option seeing as how I have another semester before I start physics.

I love the hip-hop preacher. He was what got me through my genetics class. And I agree, those B's should have been A's. Now that I look back it may have been because I was still trying to adjust to living on my own and balancing responsibilities and school. It looks like I will be needing a whole year of A's to get to a 3.8, but I look forward to the challenge.

As far as sugary drinks, I am all too familiar with red bull and monster. During the school year, it becomes an addiction and come test time I have to drink at least one a day just to feel normal.

Don't lose hope... I needed a 4.0 for the last 3 semesters to even get a 3.79, which I thought would be utterly impossible
Also physics at my uni has the same awful reputation.. there is no such thing as a good physics professor here. Does your school have past grade distributions? I didn't get an A first semester in physics (AB) but I did second semester! I definitely didn't do great, it was just that everyone else did worse..haha

Yes, hard work is indeed very important! It's not impossible.. an the As that you earn will be the one of the most satisfying rewards!

Don't lose hope... I needed a 4.0 for the last 3 semesters to even get a 3.79, which I thought would be utterly impossible
Also physics at my uni has the same awful reputation.. there is no such thing as a good physics professor here. Does your school have past grade distributions? I didn't get an A first semester in physics (AB) but I did second semester! I definitely didn't do great, it was just that everyone else did worse..haha

Yes, hard work is indeed very important! It's not impossible.. an the As that you earn will be the one of the most satisfying rewards!

What is past grade distribution? Is that where if you take the course again, that grade replaces the first try?

For my second semester, I went in with the mindset that I would take 3 B's just to make 1 A in my genetics class. I feel that was a risky and maybe stubborn thought (good thing I didn't make 3 B's haha) At the end, I got more out of my genetics class than almost every other class I've taken at university (knowledge-wise and how to become a better student).

What is past grade distribution? Is that where if you take the course again, that grade replaces the first try?

For my second semester, I went in with the mindset that I would take 3 B's just to make 1 A in my genetics class. I feel that was a risky and maybe stubborn thought (good thing I didn't make 3 B's haha) At the end, I got more out of my genetics class than almost every other class I've taken at university (knowledge-wise and how to become a better student).

At my my uni, we can look at past grade distributions for each class, meaning how many people got As, ABs, etc etc. It's very helpful when I choose which professor to take hehehe. Obviously, I will try to get into a class where there are the most As given (the same professors teach in the fall or spring each year usually, especially physics). So for physics 2, even though i had the absolute worst professor ever, there were also 20-25% As in the past ^_^ compared to 15% for the other professors (who were also crappy)

At my my uni, we can look at past grade distributions for each class, meaning how many people got As, ABs, etc etc. It's very helpful when I choose which professor to take hehehe. Obviously, I will try to get into a class where there are the most As given (the same professors teach in the fall or spring each year usually, especially physics). So for physics 2, even though i had the absolute worst professor ever, there were also 20-25% As in the past ^_^ compared to 15% for the other professors (who were also crappy)

Oh yes! For sure, we just find them on myedu.com. I made the mistake of not doing that my first semester. I had no choice which calculus class I got put in because all the other teachers were already taken (transfers get last priority registration). As for my chem 1 teacher, he was awful. He would make his tests really difficult in the fall and then make them super easy in the spring. But that is all in the past. I'm excited to take ochem. The best ochem teacher at my school doesn't teach ochem 1 anymore, but i've been following his online lectures this summer and they really help. I also audited the ochem teacher I will be taking up until the first test (summer session).

The deal about physics is that there is a majority A percentage for a physics teacher that teaches calc-based. But seeing as how there is no calculus on the mcat and that I never have taken integral calc, I believe it to be futile for me to be in that class. As far as algebra based, unfortunately, a good teacher was teaching this summer, but I just let that one fly over my head. I emailed him to ask when the next time he would be teaching and he just told me that physics 1 and 2 are present every semester, so just pick whichever teacher....

Oh yes! For sure, we just find them on myedu.com. I made the mistake of not doing that my first semester. I had no choice which calculus class I got put in because all the other teachers were already taken (transfers get last priority registration). As for my chem 1 teacher, he was awful. He would make his tests really difficult in the fall and then make them super easy in the spring. But that is all in the past. I'm excited to take ochem. The best ochem teacher at my school doesn't teach ochem 1 anymore, but i've been following his online lectures this summer and they really help. I also audited the ochem teacher I will be taking up until the first test (summer session).

The deal about physics is that there is a majority A percentage for a physics teacher that teaches calc-based. But seeing as how there is no calculus on the mcat and that I never have taken integral calc, I believe it to be futile for me to be in that class. As far as algebra based, unfortunately, a good teacher was teaching this summer, but I just let that one fly over my head. I emailed him to ask when the next time he would be teaching and he just told me that physics 1 and 2 are present every semester, so just pick whichever teacher....

Are you able to find out what the distributions were for the other professors? Physics is just icky and unfortunately we'll have to deal with it :( but I'm sure you will do just fine!

Are you able to find out what the distributions were for the other professors? Physics is just icky and unfortunately we'll have to deal with it :( but I'm sure you will do just fine!

From what I'm reading on facebook and myedu, it looks as if the easy A teachers are not teaching this upcoming fall, if they are teaching next spring I will definitely sign up. The teachers teaching this fall are either new or incompetent. It seems as if most of the teachers just can't explain physics at a level where students will understand. Perhaps, they forgot about that "once upon a time" where they themselves didn't understand physics.

From what I'm reading on facebook and myedu, it looks as if the easy A teachers are not teaching this upcoming fall, if they are teaching next spring I will definitely sign up. The teachers teaching this fall are either new or incompetent. It seems as if most of the teachers just can't explain physics at a level where students will understand. Perhaps, they forgot about that "once upon a time" where they themselves didn't understand physics.

Haha, I feel like physics is something one intrinsically understands, or will never understand. Unfortunately I think I fall into the latter category :(
But yes, plan strategically.. the A in physics from UT Austin will look great!

I don't have much advice because frankly your grades are better than mine. But as an alumni of UT Austin, I'd just like to say that it is a great school that will help you get where you want to go. :)

By the time you graduate, you may even have the option to be part of the new med school in Austin. That opens up even more seats for us Texans.

Haha, I feel like physics is something one intrinsically understands, or will never understand. Unfortunately I think I fall into the latter category :(
But yes, plan strategically.. the A in physics from UT Austin will look great!

thank you!!

I don't have much advice because frankly your grades are better than mine. But as an alumni of UT Austin, I'd just like to say that it is a great school that will help you get where you want to go. :)

By the time you graduate, you may even have the option to be part of the new med school in Austin. That opens up even more seats for us Texans.

nice to see an alumni :) yes i really want to stay in texas, specifically austin or houston, I'm really aiming for that new med school or UT Houston. But of course, I will be applying to over 9000 schools :laugh::laugh::laugh: or however many there are in Texas

With that said, I can't help but to ponder sometimes if "trying hard" is enough. Is there a point where natural talents cannot be outdone by shear tenacity?

Without a doubt, an individual's performance is determined by the combination of both natural talents and hard word. If you have more of one, then you don't require quite as much of the other, right? So you have X amount of natural talent. Whether that's a really large amount or a comparatively small amount, adding as much hard work as you're capable of will improve the total.

Do you have what it takes to get into medical school? If you apply 100% of your talents and 100% of your efforts, then you can find out and probably succeed. If you give it any less than 100% of your efforts and fail to gain admission, then you'll never know.

Without a doubt, an individual's performance is determined by the combination of both natural talents and hard word. If you have more of one, then you don't require quite as much of the other, right? So you have X amount of natural talent. Whether that's a really large amount or a comparatively small amount, adding as much hard work as you're capable of will improve the total.

Do you have what it takes to get into medical school? If you apply 100% of your talents and 100% of your efforts, then you can find out and probably succeed. If you give it any less than 100% of your efforts and fail to gain admission, then you'll never know.

Do people look at those who gain admission at second or later tries differently than those who have gained admission on their first tries? Or can they be viewed equally in some parameters?

Do people look at those who gain admission at second or later tries differently than those who have gained admission on their first tries? Or can they be viewed equally in some parameters?

I'm sure a few do, though most don't. And most won't ever know or even care. However the reason knowledgeable people say to wait until you're really ready to apply is not to save yourself potential social embarrassment, but because the application process is very draining: expensive, time-consuming, and anxiety-provoking. You don't want to have to do it twice if doing something else [productive] for a year improves your chances from 'doubtful' to 'probably'.

Imagine that your dream was to become a Navy Seal, and only those recruits with the best scores in basic training get accepted to 'Seal School'. Would you enlist in the Navy and take your chances? (Even if they allowed you to repeat basic training?) Or would you begin a training regime of your own well in advance to make sure you had your very best shot the first time.

The med school application process is like that --

I'm sure a few do, though most don't. And most won't ever know or even care. However the reason knowledgeable people say to wait until you're really ready to apply is not to save yourself potential social embarrassment, but because the application process is very draining: expensive, time-consuming, and anxiety-provoking. You don't want to have to do it twice if doing something else [productive] for a year improves your chances from 'doubtful' to 'probably'.

Imagine that your dream was to become a Navy Seal, and only those recruits with the best scores in basic training get accepted to 'Seal School'. Would you enlist in the Navy and take your chances? (Even if they allowed you to repeat basic training?) Or would you begin a training regime of your own well in advance to make sure you had your very best shot the first time.

The med school application process is like that --

I see. As I stand now it looks like undergrad is going to take 4.5 years. Could I take an extra 6 months after those 4.5 to add onto my EC's, volunteer, research, etc.?

edit - A friend of mine said that if I take a gap year (is that what those 6 months would be called?) that I should have a really good reason why. What about if I went to work for my girlfriend's company? Since that is in a totally different state, would that be considered one of those experiences that allow me to become more independent and face the "real world".