Has anybody ever been both a doctor and a dentist and a scientist? like MD/PHD/DDS/FACS?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ComputerGuy365

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know this is probably a stupid question, but I'm really curious to know.

Members don't see this ad.

Yes. Occasionally, one will find maxillofacial surgery residency programs for dentists (DMD/DDS) which also award the MD degree, such as the one at UPenn.

Members don't see this ad :)
I know a MD/JD who's going back to school for his MPH.

I know a MD/JD who's going back to school for his MPH.
There is a guy at Indiana (Dr. Gunderman) that is MD/PhD with an MPH and some fellowship in Germany. He is an medical ethics expert. Crazy smart.

Yes. Occasionally, one will find maxillofacial surgery residency programs for dentists (DMD/DDS) which also award the MD degree, such as the one at UPenn.
I have heard that at this point, about half of OMS residency programs award the MD degree. It's not uncommon for oral surgeons to have both degrees these days.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I know a microsurgery fellow who focuses on OMFS and facial reconstruction. He is an MD, DDS with residency training in surgery and fellowship training in plastics, OMFS, and now microsurgery. The MD/DDS degrees were obtained separately. He's like early 40s if I had to guess - but still, absolutely insane amount of training.

The MD/DDS degrees were obtained separately.
This is common in oral surgery. For people who want to become oral surgeons, there are two routes one can take post-dental school: a 4-year oral surgery residency or a 6-year oral surgery residency (which grants an MD degree). The scope of practice is the same, the big differences in the residencies being that the medical school clerkships are tagged onto the beginning of the 6-year MD-granting residency, that the dual degree folks are taking on an extra 2 years of loans for their MD degree, and that they have to complete an internship year in general surgery.

I believe the programs are split about 50/50 in terms of 4/6 year programs and the non-MD-granting programs are favored for those who want to go into private practice, whereas the MD-granting programs are favored by those who want to go into academics or to go on to do fellowships or want the prestige of the extra letters. Though there has been a shift over time in terms of more programs becoming dual degree. At one point, all of the OMS residency programs were non-MD-granting. I have a couple of relatives in the dental field, so that's where I've heard this stuff.

There's also overlap between oral surgery, facial plastic surgery, and ENT in terms of facial reconstruction (I know my private practice OMS relative used to take trauma call when he was younger) so I'm not surprised that he went on to do fellowships in plastics and microsurgery, though that does sound like a lot of training.

Last edited:
This is common in oral surgery. For people who want to become oral surgeons, there are two routes one can take post-dental school: a 4-year oral surgery residency or a 6-year oral surgery residency (which grants an MD degree).

Interesting. Maybe he did a 6 year program that led to an MD degree. Based on what he's told me, it sounded like he did 4 years of dental school, then a full 4 years of medical school, general surgery etc. But a 6 year MD-granting OMFS residency after dental school sounds more likely, and I know the school he went to offers one. I'll have to ask him. Do you know if it's possible/common to go from a program like that into a regular, categorical general surgery residency?

Yes, I believe Oral and Maxillofacial surgery is the most likely field where this would happen as a natural progression (as opposed to just getting into the realm of recreational degree collecting).

Do you know if it's possible/common to go from a program like that into a regular, categorical general surgery residency?
I have no idea if it's possible, but I wouldn't think it's common. Oral surgery is a very competitive specialty on the dental side... generally you'd need a high class ranking and high test scores. If one wanted to do general surgery, it wouldn't make sense to go to down that path.

Gonnif, the name of your second example is a homophone of "Very Insecure," and the rest of that article is about the author talking about why most dual-degrees aren't really necessary.

latest

I remember when I used to think that more letters behind your name make you more important

Reactions: 1 user