Has anyone ever deferred an acceptance...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NubianPrincess

Perpetually Bored
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
In order to work full time and gain some financial stability? :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

I deferred an acceptance to have my first child......and then I gave up my spot.....It's been 10 years and there are some times that I look back on that decision and wish I'd have gone for it...but that is usually when the kids are all screaming and fighting, the house is a mess and the laundry has taken me hostage.

NubianPrincess said:
In order to work full time and gain some financial stability? :confused:

Economically, it doesn't make sense to do this, as long as you can take out enough loans to cover yourself throughschool. Think of it this way. Are you going to make more in the year that you defer right now, or more as a year of being a doctor after finishing your residency?

Members don't see this ad :)
I have no money, I have no car, I have nothing :( This is why I was considering it. I don't have any acceptances yet - I am applying though. It would give me an opportunity to save for a care, pay off some bills, try and fix my credit, etc. It's just something I was thinking about, and wondered if others had deferred for similar reasons.

I'm deferring my acceptance. I'm 25 right now and will be 26 next year when I start. It just turned out better that I take a year off. I'm planning on doing some fun things before I get serious with studying.

I deferred for a year to work and gain work experience. I got to travel all over the country and I loved it! I never would give this opportunity up.

If I defer, I'll really be old.

I have taken semesters off because of pregnancy, childbirth, having to work, divorce, "the kids need me", etc. This is why it's taken me ten years to get through undergrad.

If it's purely economical reasons, I wouldn't suggest it. If there's other factors (like the laundry list above), it's definitely something to think about. :luck:

Please tell me how do you defer acceptance?? Do you have to meet any conditions?

I definitely appreciate the responses.

Skoundrel said:
Please tell me how do you defer acceptance?? Do you have to meet any conditions?

It totally depends upon the school. In my situation, I was on the waitlist and the moment they accepted me I said "Thank you and I'd like to defer for a year" and explained my reasoning. They were totally okay with it, and I got paperwork from them stating that I was guaranteed admission for the following year. It wasn't anything complicated.

I was lucky in my situation because I was already granted admission to another school and I knew that for what I want to do in life, I needed this year off to continue doing the work I was doing. I was willing to reject my acceptance off the waitlist if they didn't give me a deferrment. This definitely helped my confidence in terms of asking them. But then again, it can be like asking for a higher salary when you start a job, you can always ask for more $ and if they say no, what have you lost?