Has anyone ever experienced...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FutureCrazyCatDVM22

UC Davis c/o 2022
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I usually don’t get sqeemish for procedures. I’ve worked with dentals, spays and neuters, surgical dis-buddings etc.. but during a necrotic abscess today I got light headed and sweaty. Has anyone experienced this before in their career? I’m feeling discouraged about it because one of the techs was like “You want to be a doctor?!” I know I’ll be fine and have felt this way once with the surgical disbuddings and I got over when I continued to assist with more of them. Just want to know other people’s experiences with these situations :)

Thank you again!!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I actually blacked out and dropped during my first job interview at a clinic when they were having trouble with a jugular draw.

I've worked in the field for 4 years now and I've never had another issue. I've assisted with exploratory surgeries, CCL repairs, TPLO's, mass excisions, cystotomies, dental extractions, etc. without any issues but for some reason that jugular draw got to me.

My grandfather was a human doctor and he said that in his class they had half of the students drop when the first viewed an operation in person so it's not just us haha.

Sent from my [device_name] using SDN mobile

I echo Mad Mike. There will be certain procedures that get to you, but be in on enough of them hopefully it'll dull over time. Just remember all of the common stuff: eat, drink, don't lock your knees, and breathe!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you! I appreciate your feedback! I think I need to see more of them to become desensitized to it. I think this might be the second one I’ve held for and it’s been about a year since, so I don’t see them often to become use to it! :) Now I’m just thinking.. Bring on the abscesses! Lol

Thank you! I appreciate your feedback! I think I need to see more of them to become desensitized to it. I think this might be the second one I’ve held for and it’s been about a year since, so I don’t see them often to become use to it! :) Now I’m just thinking.. Bring on the abscesses! Lol
In all fairness some abscesses are plain nasty. We cut one on a cow, that sucker was huge and smelled to high heaven, it made me go ew coming from the person who spends most their time at the back end of a cow!

Reactions: 1 users
In all fairness some abscesses are plain nasty. We cut one on a cow, that sucker was huge and smelled to high heaven, it made me go ew coming from the person who spends most their time at the back end of a cow!
The worst abscess I've smelled... was from a guinea pig lol

Their abscesses have a very distinct odor and the drainage looks like banana pudding. Pretty nasty stuff

The worst abscess I've smelled... was from a guinea pig lol

Their abscesses have a very distinct odor and the drainage looks like banana pudding. Pretty nasty stuff

I can't help but laugh at this because all I can imagine is this tiny guinea pig getting poked and spraying banana pudding :hilarious:

I almost passed out during one of the first dentals I observed. I've seen much worse since then and have been just fine :)

Also note that, while different than passing out, there are things that you will be grossed out by later in your career, too. And that's okay. I remember a watching a vet almost gagging in response to the atrocious aroma of the crop contents flushed out of a chicken with a gnarly case of crop stasis.

You definitely build up quite a tolerance - but that doesn't mean you will never say "ew" again, too ;)

Yup, definitely have felt lightheaded during many procedures. Even as a vet now. I have been in the field for over 12 years now and I can't even count how many times something or a procedure has made me feel a bit woozy. You learn how to deal with it with time. Eat before, don't lock your knees and if you do feel woozy... excuse yourself and sit down. You do become a bit adapted to things with time, but there are still the occasional things that will get to me.... maggots being the top one.

Reactions: 3 users
I can't help but laugh at this because all I can imagine is this tiny guinea pig getting poked and spraying banana pudding :hilarious:
That's basically what happened lmao

They are pretty darn loud when they want to be, she was not too happy about being put under anesthesia

Yup, definitely have felt lightheaded during many procedures. Even as a vet now. I have been in the field for over 12 years now and I can't even count how many times something or a procedure has made me feel a bit woozy. You learn how to deal with it with time. Eat before, don't lock your knees and if you do feel woozy... excuse yourself and sit down. You do become a bit adapted to things with time, but there are still the occasional things that will get to me.... maggots being the top one.
We've had 4 dogs this year with cuterebra and those definitely made me a little squeamish so I get the aversion to maggots

Oh I like a good cuterebra removal! Those are fun! But a despise a giant, maggot infested wound.
They are super interesting since they are fairly uncommon but it makes me squirm seeing the grubs move under the skin

Members don't see this ad :)
So I usually don’t get sqeemish for procedures. I’ve worked with dentals, spays and neuters, surgical dis-buddings etc.. but during a necrotic abscess today I got light headed and sweaty. Has anyone experienced this before in their career? I’m feeling discouraged about it because one of the techs was like “You want to be a doctor?!” I know I’ll be fine and have felt this way once with the surgical disbuddings and I got over when I continued to assist with more of them. Just want to know other people’s experiences with these situations :)

Thank you again!!
We had a football-sized abscess on necropsy a few weeks ago that grossed out fourth year vet students, so I'll say that you're definitely not alone in this. :p You get used to it. Don't let stupid comments like that throw you off. I've heard a few techs say similar things to other pre-vets. I don't know what their problem is - like they've never had an off day? :shrug:

We have a big hole in the door of our supply cabinet at my clinic.

Want to know how it got there? When I blacked out into the door while trying to walk away from my first dental extraction (observation). Since then I've forced myself to watch a ton and they no longer bother me. However no way in heck will I ever specialize in dentistry. You'll be fine! :)

Apparently my coworker now includes the hole in the door in her clinic tours for new employees.

Reactions: 7 users
We have a big hole in the door of our supply cabinet at my clinic.

Want to know how it got there? When I blacked out into the door while trying to walk away from my first dental extraction (observation). Since then I've forced myself to watch a ton and they no longer bother me. However no way in heck will I ever specialize in dentistry. You'll be fine! :)

Apparently my coworker now includes the hole in the door in her clinic tours for new employees.
Oh no! Lol this is great. Thank you for that, that definitely makes me feel much better! :)

We had a football-sized abscess on necropsy a few weeks ago that grossed out fourth year vet students, so I'll say that you're definitely not alone in this. :p You get used to it. Don't let stupid comments like that throw you off. I've heard a few techs say similar things to other pre-vets. I don't know what their problem is - like they've never had an off day? :shrug:
Right?! I don't get it :/ But thank you for this! I needed it! :)

Need to learn not to lock the knees! And drink water which I'm not good about doing :p

I think my personal least favorite is eye stuff, especially eyes that really need to come out. I'll offer a close second to tooth stuff though - I don't even like my own dental work so no way I'm going to like anything else's.

I think my personal least favorite is eye stuff, especially eyes that really need to come out. I'll offer a close second to tooth stuff though - I don't even like my own dental work so no way I'm going to like anything else's.
I fainted during the first dental I ever watched, so I'll join you over here in "Ew, dental work" land.

Oh I like a good cuterebra removal! Those are fun! But a despise a giant, maggot infested wound.
Cow or any large or food animal + maggots - I find worse.

Actually, all maggots are bad. I’d torch the maggots. I’m getting skeeved right now OH GOD MAKE IT STOPPPP

Reactions: 2 users
Cow or any large or food animal + maggots - I find worse.

Actually, all maggots are bad. I’d torch the maggots. I’m getting skeeved right now OH GOD MAKE IT STOPPPP
I've had to pick enough maggots and beetles out of things for work that I'm almost okay with them now. I hate the super teeny ones though, where you have to get real close to the wound to figure out what's going on and then you realize it's all itsy bitsy teeny weeny yellow polka dot maggots

Oh man. I could tell you some stories about maggots.

I've had to pick enough maggots and beetles out of things for work that I'm almost okay with them now. I hate the super teeny ones though, where you have to get real close to the wound to figure out what's going on and then you realize it's all itsy bitsy teeny weeny yellow polka dot maggots
Fire fire FIREEEEE

But to the OP, one of my best friends had issues with sx overall (overheating) - just work through it & know your limits (and hydrate!!)

Im sensitive to a lot of smells so I avoid breathing through my nose. I can smell iso (and taste it) quite well. To make up for my poor response to bugs, I can identify leaks!

If there’s insects or arachnids or any parasites, if you summon me at work, I’ll bring a blow torch. I swear....
Spiders, ticks, and fleas are worse than maggots. I don't want any of them, but if I HAVE to choose, just give me the maggots.

Spiders, ticks, and fleas are worse than maggots. I don't want any of them, but if I HAVE to choose, just give me the maggots.
But anything internal is fun! Bots, tapeworms, etc. Love that stuff.

I saw the most destroyed liver yesterday. Tapeworms had taken over the entire thing, it was so impressive. I wish I could share pictures of it.

Oh my god ticks. I redact all previous statements, ticks give me more heebie jeebies than everything else combined and I once almost cried because I found a tick walking on my arm.

Can do fleas and spiders all day. But ticks :arghh::yuck::vomit:

Reactions: 2 users
But anything internal is fun! Bots, tapeworms, etc. Love that stuff.

I saw the most destroyed liver yesterday. Tapeworms had taken over the entire thing, it was so impressive. I wish I could share pictures of it.
I'm a fan of worms. It always gets your heart going when a happy little dog poops a ball of writhing spaghetti

Thank you again!!
By the way, I once had a tech who was totally flabbergasted that I wanted to be a vet when I told her I don't like dogs. We're great friends to this day, and I think my comment just caught her off guard because we had known each other for nearly 3 years at that point and she had no idea that I wasn't much of a dog person :p

It's okay to like and dislike anything you want, there are very few things that outright disqualify you from being a veterinarian and being squeamish at surgeries and procedures is hardly one of them. A lot of it is, as you mentioned, simply getting used to it. The first time I helped with a spay I almost passed out even though I'm not particularly squeamish and have no issues with blood etc. I just got tunnel vision in that environment and locked my knees and I had to excuse myself for a while to regain my bearings. I've helped with thousands of says since then and it hasn't been an issue. It's totally okay and not something to worry about.

Plus, I probably would have totally gotten grossed out by that necrotic abscess even though I love abscesses. Some smells and textures are just designed by nature to make you scream and run :D

Cuterebra? Somebody page @Trilt
They're just so cute. :love:

I've told this story on sdn before, but after doing all sorts of gross things as a vet student and prevet it was a trans-tracheal wash in my last year of school that nearly took me out. Holding the dog and the feel-sound crunch of going through the cartilage combined with the bright lights did not make me a happy camper.

Thankfully had a tech to swoop in and I had some quality "sitting on the floor letting the world swim back into focus" time. It can happen to anyone and catch you totally off guard. Don't sweat it.

Oh my god ticks. I redact all previous statements, ticks give me more heebie jeebies than everything else combined and I once almost cried because I found a tick walking on my arm.

Can do fleas and spiders all day. But ticks :arghh::yuck::vomit:
Oh my god I literally cannot deal with ticks. In anatomy, we had already split and skinned our heads. One random day I look at some of the superficial muscles and there was a dead tick embedded IN the temporalis muscle- that wasn’t there when we started. :cryi:

I cannot do ticks... at all

2’s company, 3 is not? I’m fine going solo ;)
free-shrugs.jpg

They're just so cute. :love:

I've told this story on sdn before, but after doing all sorts of gross things as a vet student and prevet it was a trans-tracheal wash in my last year of school that nearly took me out. Holding the dog and the feel-sound crunch of going through the cartilage combined with the bright lights did not make me a happy camper.

Thankfully had a tech to swoop in and I had some quality "sitting on the floor letting the world swim back into focus" time. It can happen to anyone and catch you totally off guard. Don't sweat it.
Exhibit A: I'm sick. I'm back at work for the first time in a couple days today.

Was holding a leg while helping my boss reduce a fracture and oooooooooooh boy that grinding was not good for me. I kept upright but let the tech take my spot ASAP.

*Warning* Gross story ahead.

The only time I have ever screamed/got squeamish was when I was at home folding laundry, and my dog puked behind me on the floor. I knew he had gotten into some rotten vegetables so I briefly looked, sighed, and then quickly went to get something to clean it up. Then, much to my surprise, there was a complete, perfect ring of maggots that were emerging from the center of the vomitus. :barf:

I never ran away from something as fast as I did in that moment.

But back on track: Yes, even those of us with steel stomachs can feel faint sometimes. I find that drinking enough water, eating, and in my experience, shifting my feet, helps.

Idk if this is just me, but I know a spell is coming on if I start yawning. I then start feeling a little lightheaded. So to counteract that, I start dancing around, bending my knees, etc. It seems to help that moment pass, though if you know you are going to pass out for sure, just sit, even if it is on the floor.

Last edited:
I've never fainted, but I do get lightheaded with certain things. Maggots get a lot of people (obviously) including myself, but I also get woozy when we're doing something painful on an animal that couldn't be sedated/anesthetized for whatever reason. I also like popping things in general, but anal glands have made me woozy before. It's embarrassing as heck because it's such a 'basic skill' that vets will have to do and I hate doing it.
*Warning* Gross story ahead.

The only time I have ever screamed/got squeamish was when I was at home folding laundry, and my dog puked behind me on the floor. I knew he had gotten into some rotten vegetables so I briefly looked, sighed, and then quickly went to get something to clean it up. Then, much to my surprise, there was a complete, perfect ring of maggots that were emerging from the center of the vomitus. :barf:

I never ran away from something as fast as I did in that moment.
This is one of the worst things I've ever read.

Put me in the "anything but maggots" camp.

I think it's fine to have a few things that just wig you the heck out. But PLEASE don't try to just soldier through it - get out and sit down ASAP! The last thing someone wants while doing a dental extraction or a spay or whatever is a HUMAN medical situation.

OP:

Just be aware of the potential for light-headedness and it'll get better over time. Desensitization will save you and it happens faster than you'd think.

Unfortunately, nothing will save you from sharing the profession with a bunch of weirdos who love to geek out about the grossness. ;)

I actually blacked out and dropped during my first job interview at a clinic when they were having trouble with a jugular draw.

I've worked in the field for 4 years now and I've never had another issue. I've assisted with exploratory surgeries, CCL repairs, TPLO's, mass excisions, cystotomies, dental extractions, etc. without any issues but for some reason that jugular draw got to me.

My grandfather was a human doctor and he said that in his class they had half of the students drop when the first viewed an operation in person so it's not just us haha.

I was the same way. I've worked in vet med for 8 years now and I remember getting light-headed when I first saw a blood draw from a jugular for the first time. Now, after working as a veterinary assistant, I have no problem with it!

Put me in the "anything but maggots" camp.

I think it's fine to have a few things that just wig you the heck out. But PLEASE don't try to just soldier through it - get out and sit down ASAP! The last thing someone wants while doing a dental extraction or a spay or whatever is a HUMAN medical situation.
This! During one of my assistant jobs, we had a pre-vet early in her undegrad years shadowing. I was monitoring anesthesia on a spay and she was shifting her weight on her feet a lot and started to look a little off. I asked her if she was okay, that she could take a minute if needed. She insisted she was totally fine, but she hit the floor a minute or so later. Luckily she was okay, but had she fallen the other way, there was the anesthesia machine, a countertop, and a few other things that would have 'cushioned' her fall.

There's nothing to be embarrassed about and like TRH said, it's much easier and safer for you to sit down and grab a snack then for an ambulance to rush you to the ER for a fall related injury.

One time I was helping out with chicken necropsies and I accidentally cut open the gall bladder of a chicken that hadn't been dead more than 10 minutes... the smell, combined with the fact that I did not eat breakfast (it was maybe 6 AM and I can't eat anything that early) almost had me vomiting. There is going to be gross smells but I accept it will be more common in vet school and I will get used to it!

One time I was helping out with chicken necropsies and I accidentally cut open the gall bladder of a chicken that hadn't been dead more than 10 minutes... the smell, combined with the fact that I did not eat breakfast (it was maybe 6 AM and I can't eat anything that early) almost had me vomiting. There is going to be gross smells but I accept it will be more common in vet school and I will get used to it!
Oh boy. I was helping our anatomy professor do some organ harvest on the surgery cadavers that have been already rotting for ~2 maybe 3 weeks while they did the cadaver surgery on them. I thought they were the worst smell ever, but then I opened up the abdomen to get out the heart and lungs and I thought I was about to die. Worst smell of my life, and I wanted to puke for the entire time- which was like 3 hours. Got to do a spay and two neuters though, so it was worth it!