Has anyone heard of James Cook University in Australia?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vhy

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have got a firm offer from James Cook but a conditional one from Massey University (New Zealand). The one in Massey requires an exam after the first semester to see whether you can continue studying vet.

But as many of you will know, you can't defer a vet school offer so if I choose Massey and I can't get in...I can't go back to James Cook..

Which school is better and does Massey worth a try?

Members don't see this ad.

I have got a firm offer from James Cook but a conditional one from Massey University (New Zealand). The one in Massey requires an exam after the first semester to see whether you can continue studying vet.

But as many of you will know, you can't defer a vet school offer so if I choose Massey and I can't get in...I can't go back to James Cook..

Which school is better and does Massey worth a try?

The main question is, are you from America? If you are, I couldn't tell you which school is "better," but I can tell you that JCU is very new and is not at this time AVMA accredited (you would require an additional exam which is crazy expensive and has a dismal pass rate). This personally would be the deciding factor for me.

Hello, I actually studied abroad at JCU and loved the school. But at the time (3 years ago), it was not accredited. I knew some people in the vet science department. It was a five year program, and from what they said the facilities were quite good. Things might have changed since then so I'm not sure how helpful I can be. However, if you have any questions about the university or the location, I can help you with that. Also if I can gush for a moment, I absolutely loved studying in Australia. JCU is on the outskirts of Townsville, a nice little city, but more importantly a 1/2 hour ferry-ride from Magnetic Island, which is a tropical island in your backyard. Let me know if I can answer any questions!