Has anyone here volunteered on a medical mission with a parent?

MyMia

Crazy Cat Lady
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
My father is an orthopedic surgeon. He, along with my uncle (also an orthopedic surgeon) and my aunt (a Podiatrist) volunteer almost every summer to Peru for a medical mission. They treat people with mobility problems.

Since I was 11 years old, I begged my dad to bring me along as a medical volunteer (which turned out to be quite a shock for my aunt and uncle, since none of my siblings and cousins are interested in medicine). I begged him for nearly 3 years until he agreed that it would be an great idea for me to bring me along. But he felt I'm too young to take me along. So both agreed that we 16 is the right age (in two years).

He also told me about the possibility of scrubbing in for surgeries if I can handle them just fine. I started watching orthopedic surgeries on the internet and television to make sure I'll be able to do that once I we arrive to Peru. (Just gone done watching a an hour long total knee replacement. I wasn't really affected by it. I quite liked it, actually! I really am like my dad)

Even though I'm now set in becoming a veterinarian, it would be freakin crazy for me to turn this down.

Has anyone here volunteered with a a family member? How was the experience?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
On many organized medical missions like the ones you mention there are often a variety of support positions for teenagers who come along for the trip with a parent. Observing surgeries would be pretty awesome, but be aware that assisting in a way that you would not be qualified for in the USA when "scrubbed in" would be frowned on by med school admissions personnel.

Reactions: 1 user
That's a good point.

I definitely won't mention, should it happen.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
a total knee replacement that only took one hour?

You're only 14 and you're on SDN? Please son, go enjoy life a little first.

You're only 14 and you're on SDN? Please son, go enjoy life a little first.
this too. get a few years of high school done first then come back on here. go enjoy life. if you can go on the trip, go.. just don't let your family let you do anything unethical.

That's a good point.

I definitely won't mention, should it happen.
Extremely unethical even if you don't mention it... What gives you the right and necessary skills to participate in any part of this surgery on a living, breathing human being without any formal training at all?

I would say go on the trip when you're 16 or 18, but personally I wouldn't participate in any of the surgical procedures for ethical reasons even if my dad told me it was alright, it isn't like this is an emergency surgery in the middle of a warzone.