About the ads

Has the opinion of NEOMED (NEOUCOP) improved at all?

Discussion in 'Pre-Pharmacy' started by Aestatis, Jan 12, 2012.

1. SDN is a nonprofit organization. Services are made possible through the generous support of SDN members and sponsors. Thank you.

Thanks to Crack the PCAT
  1. Aestatis

Aestatis

Pre-Pharmacy

SDN Members don't see this ad. (About Ads)
    Looking through old threads, I either see people talking about the medical school, or talking about the school when the pharmacy portion just opened. Overall though, the opinion of it has been negative.

Now that the school has graduated some students, anyone here have any other opinions on it? Personally, I think their curriculum seems interested - I would like to think it isn't as sub par as some make it out to be due to its youth. I'm rather interested in NEOMED since I go to one of the partner schools, but is it true that NEOMED students have a much harder time finding jobs than other schools in the state?
  2. EBT12

EBT12

Pharmacist
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2012
  3. gmuskie

gmuskie

Pharmacy Student
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    I interviewed and was accepted there. I ended up going elsewhere due to location issues, but I was impressed with their program. I brought up some of the negative stuff I had heard in the interview and they had a very open student feedback system that was driving some changes from when they opened day 1.

I did just read in the OSHP bulletin that their dean is leaving so I don't know what kind of impact that will have.
  4. Aestatis

Aestatis

Pre-Pharmacy
    Well, I'm not sure why it would be considered subpar either, aside from the fact the school is new I suppose. I get the impression that a lot of people equate new with subpar as far as Pharmacy schools go.

Naturally, I'm biased, so I wanted to get outside opinions. I appreciate the statistics though - it makes me feel better. :3
  5. Arrabiata

Arrabiata

Pharmacy Student
    Dear EBT12,

I was wondering if NEOMED's program is geared towards preparing its' students for a certain practice such as community pharmacy, working in a hospital, or pursuing full time research? Or maybe if there is no emphasis, do they have different opportunities for gaining experience in those areas? I Just wanted to know more about the school because I was invited for an interview next week. Any advice you could give would be much appreciated.
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2012
  6. EBT12

EBT12

Pharmacist
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2012
  7. MeSoPro

MeSoPro

Pre-Medical
    hSDN Member hSDN Alumni SDN 2+ Year Member
    i was wondering if anyone can sumbit a review of NEOMED. i would like to get some reviews about its reputation (such as the students, the courses), how the medical community and other hosipitals view it ( for applying to residency). i looked around on the interweb and i couldn't find any reviews for NEOMED because of its relative newness and it is not as famous and well known (i think that's why?). i would love to apply here for the BS/MD program but i want to know if i can get into a good residency program/job if i were to graduate from here.thank you all very much!
  8. EBT12

EBT12

Pharmacist
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Are you interesting in studying medicine, pharmacy or some other type of graduate studies? The medical school started in 1973, and the first BS/MD class started shortly thereafter, so its not that new. The majority of students commit to the MD program through BS/MD program in high school.

The pharmacy school and college of graduate studies is newer. Two PharmD classes have graduated. Graduates have went on to residencies, fellowships and graduate work, in addition to working for a wide variety of companies in multiple different settings.

Classes are taught in an interdisciplinary manner. Basically, for the first 1 1/2 years, many of the major classes (biochemistry, physiology, neurology and behavior, infectious disease) are taught as a single class for both medical and pharmacy students. There are also PhD students in some of the classes. Overall, I enjoyed my experience. I liked the small pharmacy class size (<75 students). I got to know the professors really well and that helped me obtain am awesome residency position (i.e. good rotation sites, letters of recommendation, etc).
  9. MeSoPro

MeSoPro

Pre-Medical
    hSDN Member hSDN Alumni SDN 2+ Year Member
    Oh I didn't realize this was a pharmacy forum but I want to go in for medicine as in doctors. Thank you for the information. Do know any classmates that got into the Cleveland clinic for residency?