Have any of you completed two separate residencies?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

April11

Reaction score
Are there any physicians who have completed two separate residencies either because you didn't like the first or liked both and wanted to be double boarded? Which two? Was it hard to get into the second one (even if less competitive, because of funding or so much time elapsed since graduation)? For those that did, what did you end up doing- the second? mix of both--is that even possible ? or something else?

Members don't see this ad.

Are there any physicians who have completed two separate residencies either because you didn't like the first or liked both and wanted to be double boarded? Which two? Was it hard to get into the second one (even if less competitive, because of funding or so much time elapsed since graduation)? For those that did, what did you end up doing- the second? mix of both--is that even possible ? or something else?
This is so vague of a question that it is essentially unanswerable. Why don't you tell us what you're thinking about doing and we can guide you on how to make it work out.

Reactions: 3 users
Wondering if it's doable to complete two separate residencies that are unrelated and how difficult it is to get into the second if it's less competitive but it's already quite a few years since you graduated medical school if you already went through one and thinking of another. Wanted to hear from those who have done it for advice.

Are you just planning to do 2 residencies in advance, or have you completed 1 residency and are planning another? If the latter, telling us what residencies will matter. If the former, that's a little ridiculous. If you don't want to say, that's fine but you won't likely get so many answers.

Reactions: 2 users
I know a woman who did Urology then got burnt out and went back to psychiatry and a man who originally did OB/GYN and got burnt out and went back for psychiatry.

Reactions: 1 user
Wondering if it's doable to complete two separate residencies that are unrelated and how difficult it is to get into the second if it's less competitive but it's already quite a few years since you graduated medical school if you already went through one and thinking of another. Wanted to hear from those who have done it for advice.

This is literally the same vague question you posted initially. If you want advice, you're going to need to post some details. This is such a rare event that even if you found someone who has been through the process, their advice may not be applicable to your situation. For instance, people who do residency through the military, get out of the military and redo a residency in something else (that the military didn't allow them to do because there wasn't a need). There are, however, people here who are involved or have been involved in residency application review and can provide advice on how to make yourself a competitive applicant. There's also a difference between being in medicine and switching fields (as a reason for being out from med school graduation) as opposed to not getting a position in the first place.

Reactions: 7 users
I know a woman who did Urology then got burnt out and went back to psychiatry and a man who originally did OB/GYN and got burnt out and went back for psychiatry.

I'm sensing a trend. The key is to do psychiatry, burn out, and then go back for more psychiatry. It's fool proof.

• Haha
Reactions: 9 users

Like everyone's said every situation is different. There's no one-size fits all approach like there is to medical school admissions/residency recruitment. There are people willing to help if you give us more information. Doesn't have to be exact if you're worried about your identity. Information to include is the following.

If IMG:
1.) Visa Status. J1>H1B at this time (but not my area of expertise).

Otherwise:
2.) YOG/Gaps in Medical Training - being out of medicine is usually not looked at favorably.
3.) If you are leaving a first residency, is it for your own volition or were there issues?
4.) Residency in X-> Residency in Y? I really don't know the politics behind funding but this is where that's considered. Also the natures of the fields will obviously be considered.
5.) Age -> I'm not a PD but I imagine a 50 year old in FM applying to General Surgery would be viewed differently than a 27 year old doing the same.

Some things that may not matter as much as people would think are things that mattered the first time around like board scores, reputation of places you've trained at because the programs that would take you now are looking to fill a position with a viable candidate. Based on all this, we can prognosticate and advise accordingly.

Last edited:
I know a few people who’ve done this but it’s been stuff that sort of goes together? Peds + ED (wanted broader exposure than just the Peds fellowship), Peds + derm (there’s no other way to do derm from Peds but I think this gives some credit towards a Peds derm fellowship), Peds + child psych (ended up triple boarded). Technically, Peds neuro is a triple board bc you do 2 years of Peds residency then a year of neuro residency then the fellowship and that’s standardized. Maybe this is a Peds thing lol.

Last edited:
I know a few people who’ve done this but it’s been stuff that sort of goes together? Peds + ED (wanted broader exposure than just the Peds fellowship), Peds + derm (there’s no other way to do derm from Peds but I think this gives some credit towards a Peds derm fellowship), Peds + child psych (ended up triple boarded). Technically, Peds neuro is a triple board bc you do 2 years of Peds residency then a year of neuro residency then the fellowship and that’s standardized. Maybe this is a Peds thing lol.
There's a ton of people doing a second residency that are similar or different for many reasons (resident wasn't able to do well in the first, practitioner wants a different practice, etc.). That's why it's good to get all the details.

Last edited:
I have a friend that did peds and then did radiology. As far as I know they didn't have difficulty getting in to radiology. They started radiology the same year they finished peds. So to answer your question, yes it's doable and people have done it before.
As others have said you might get better advice if you give more details and where you are in the training journey.

• Love
Some people do sequential training in Psych -> FM/IM and vice versa, but its typically harder to do FM/IM -> Psych. From what I hear, usually they get 6-12 mos credit for prior training, so its often 6-6.5 yrs altogether. Usually electives are done in the other field when finishing the first one.

There's a ton of people doing a second residency that are similar or different for many reasons (resident wasn't able to do well in the first, practitioner wants a different practice, etc.). That's why it's good to get all the details.

How did they get around the ACGME funding issue if they actually completed their first residency?

Not an IMG. Graduated from residency. Will graduate from fellowship, but it's not the right residency area for me--I should have left a while ago. How does the funding work? Because I completed a residency, does that mean there's no more funding?

I knew a physician that did anesthesiology, went back and did ob/gyn, then decided to go back to anesthesiology. The same hospital had another physician that did OB/gyn and practiced for several years and then went into anesthesiology.

How did they find their residency slot if funding is half or none?

• Okay...
So beyond IRP years, they will get half payment per resident, which makes it less likely for residencies to take you on. From this report, it seems that fellowship counts as 0.5 FTE for IRP. So how do people ever switch residencies? Is the max lifetime IRP per resident 5?

No. The DME is 50%, the IME is 100%. Since the IME is usually greater than the DME (although that calculation is institution specific) the overall funding is usually at least 80%. And, as mentioned above, some institutions are over their cap and get zero payments for some residents -- in those cases, taking a resident over their IRP makes no financial difference at all.

Reactions: 3 users
I have seen FM boarded doc go back and do an anesthesiology residency. I have seen EM boarded go and do anesthesiology, then Pain fellowship. It is doable...it just means finding the right program. And having the right support system. To go from an attending's salary back to a resident's....you have to make sure everyone in the family is on board. You also have to make sure you are going to have the correct attitude; going from "being the one in charge" to "being told what to do"

I know someone who did IM-anesthesiology and someone who did derm-plastic surgery. Both completed their second residencies in a subsequent manner. Can't think of others currently, but I know there are a few.

Are there lists of programs that are more likely to take you on even if you've completed a different residency?

Are there lists of programs that are more likely to take you on even if you've completed a different residency?

Not to my knowledge.

1.) If you're interested in restarting residency, I recommend you get your application together and grind it out.
2.) Residency Swap is a paid site that gives you a list of programs with vacancies. (I used it, I think it's currently a work in progress but I was able to be reimbursed my subscription fee for reporting a program with a vacancy, I think the owners are pretty reasonable).
3.) You can try to forage around to find a list of programs that are not filled. They may be at least willing to offer you an interview. I don't think this information is sitting publicly anywhere but set up a meeting with your program leadership and they may know.

Best of luck.