'Have I got a case study for you..."

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ClinicalTrainee

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm *sure* this experience is worse for for non-clinical students, but I simply dread telling people what I study. Not because I'm ashamed of it--I adore all aspects of my training--but because I hate the responses.

A fictitious representation of a typical introductory conversation:

Other: What do you do?
Me: I'm getting my PhD in clinical psychology.
Other: Uh oh, I better watch what I say! Are you analyzing me right now? You could totally write your dissertation about my sister....

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! OK, I'm aware that much of society doesn't have a clear idea of what non-psychoanalytic practicing psychologists actually DO, and even fewer understand what research psychologists do (one of my friends in social psych tells people "I'm a social scientist...I give surveys" rather than mentioning psychology at all), but.....the people who give these responses seem to think they are being clever.

Does anyone have a particularly good response to this type of reaction? Or a better way to describe what you actually do when asked?

Members don't see this ad.

If you're in a particular snarky mood, you could always ask what they do and then answer with an outrageous generalization so they get the point.

Or you could just explain that you don't analyze people, you treat people. And you would never do it to them, because it would be a conflict of interest. haha.

I agree though, those conversations are sort of obnoxious. I got those even in undergrad. It's not like I'd go up to a finance major and say "OH NO, I better keep my bank book away from you!"

I'm *sure* this experience is worse for for non-clinical students, but I simply dread telling people what I study. Not because I'm ashamed of it--I adore all aspects of my training--but because I hate the responses.

A fictitious representation of a typical introductory conversation:

Other: What do you do?
Me: I'm getting my PhD in clinical psychology.
Other: Uh oh, I better watch what I say! Are you analyzing me right now? You could totally write your dissertation about my sister....

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! OK, I'm aware that much of society doesn't have a clear idea of what non-psychoanalytic practicing psychologists actually DO, and even fewer understand what research psychologists do (one of my friends in social psych tells people "I'm a social scientist...I give surveys" rather than mentioning psychology at all), but.....the people who give these responses seem to think they are being clever.

Does anyone have a particularly good response to this type of reaction? Or a better way to describe what you actually do when asked?

Last night or so my mom was like "Hey, if you ever need patients, just use our family!" I told her that the professor runs his own private practice on the side, so I think he'll be okay. e_e

I also finally got my dad to understand that, no, he couldn't see me as a therapist. Oh, and last weekend someone asked me to diagnose him... I told him come back in ten years. This was inspired by what my brother-in-law used to say when people asked him medical advice: "take an aspirin and call me in five years." ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
I remember my cleaning lady asking me if I could cure her phobia when she learned I was a (brand new) psychology student. I explained to her the process by which someone who was actually qualified might be able to do it, but she seemed to have been hoping I'd just be able to wave a magic wand and make things better.

With that being said, as misguided as a lot of the statements above may be, I'd still view them ultimately as compliments. They suggest a certain amount of faith in your abilities and inteligence. It could be a lot worse.

And besides I don't think I've ever met a psychology student who didn't try a little too hard to analyze people....

Oh yeah, all the time.

I jokingly tell people they're not that interesting. And that this is a good thing. This usually works to at least stop the comments. Next thing I try is something like "if I analyzed people all day every day I'd be friggin' exhausted." But I have noticed changes in demeanor around me with people I've known a really long time. It's like all of a sudden I'm evaluating everyone in my life on a clinical level.

I've had several acquaintances make "jokes" about my being their therapist. I just say that our code of ethics doesn't allow for that type of thing. It is awkward though.

Right now I'm much more annoyed by non-psychology people suggesting dissertation topics to me. "Oh, you should do your dissertation on...why people say things they don't mean/ why people try to avoid using toilets next to each other in public restrooms/ why bunnies are cute/ any other random topic that jumps into someone's head".

No...I can't just pick a topic out of thin air and decide to do my dissertation on it, thank you.

As for the "Are you analyzing me right now?" remarks, I usually just respond with "Are you paying me $100 an hour?".

I usually just joke and say "I only work when I'm getting paid.";)

Edit -- how funny that just when I posted this I read Killer's post below. I guess my line isn't that original.

I had a professor who tells people who ask if she's analyzing them "Yes, you're totally transparent to me and I see all of your flaws -- but I'm willing to hang out with you anyway.":laugh:

If people ask my profession, I typically say lecturer or researcher....as that is less likely to get the, "are you analyzing me?!" question. If it does come up, I usually respond with, "an accountant doesn't crunch numbers outside of the office, so I don't either".

In general John Q. Public has no idea what we do, or at least the range of things we do.

If people ask my profession, I typically say lecturer or researcher....as that is less likely to get the, "are you analyzing me?!" question. If it does come up, I usually respond with, "an accountant doesn't crunch numbers outside of the office, so I don't either".

In general John Q. Public has no idea what we do, or at least the range of things we do.

My response exactly. Even my own boyfriend jokingly puts me in the "classic Freudian psychoanalysis" psychologist category, and I often have to remind him "I'm going to be doing primarily research..."

Another response I use is "Well, I want to specialize in kids with DD... do YOU have a DD?" That usually does it. : )

I used to get annoyed by it in the first few years of undergrad, but then I realized it's just people making conversation. Agitating-- yes, but not really worth getting worked up over.

"Oh you can't be a doctor, people are leaving the profession with Obama blahblahblah"

"Are you really sure you want to do that?" <smug look like I nothing>

"doctors work 100 hours a week and kill themselves after a few years. It's the highest suicide profession you know that???"

My buddy calls me up "hey bro I had my wisdom teeth taken out when can I go get drunk?"

I think the jokes along side expecting free medical, and in this case psych evals, are going to come with the profession.

Yeah, and it's not just doctors or shrinks.

When I was an attorney I had to sit through endless lawyer jokes, usually equating lawyers with sharks, etc. I also got asked advice all of the time about DUI, traffic tickets, divorce laws, personal injury and employment discrimination. It sort of comes with the territory I guess.:rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad :)
I had a professor who tells people who ask if she's analyzing them "Yes, you're totally transparent to me and I see all of your flaws -- but I'm willing to hang out with you anyway.":laugh:

That is awesome!

I get this question all the time and, in my opinion, shouldn't be blown out of proportion or generate any kind of iritation.

My usual response to 'are you analyzing me?' is: "Actually I did awhile ago. (pause) You're fine.... (uttered unconvincingly and roll eyes).

People have a sense of humor and so should we. :)

lol Yes i get this all the time now . Before I started my undergrad studies , when I told people what I wanted to do they'd say " oh my you want to be a shrink ? Hopefully you'll be able to fix my husband or me etc etc " .

Now that I've started which has been the last six days ...I get asked all the time okay so why is so and so acting like this and that ? Tell me what I'm thinking ? Then mom sits down in a chair and says " analyze me stephy " . I'm like oh lord lol . I don't get upset but it is very awkward cause you feel you have to answer somehow but they don't get it just doesn't work that way .

Also not sure if anyone has gotten this but have you ever had people come to you with 100 questions in one time when you just started school ? I mean seriously 6 days and they think you know 11 years worth of work . :laugh:

My boyfriend freaked out when I told him this is what I want to do . He's like you're gonna be analyzing me and my son etc etc . I told him I never think to try to analyze anyone until they make that statement then I end up watching everything they do and figuring out etc etc . Yes I even go as far as researching it . But prior to that statement I wasn't thinking to . See he has major anger issues and his son is picking those anger issues up plus the boy has ADHD . They both have gone to psychologists and even psychiatrists doesn't seem to be working for them . Although my boyfriend likes the fact he has scared those people off .

I'm just waiting for more questions . :laugh:

everyone analyzes someone to an extent but with clinical/counseling psychology students, the analysis goes further NATURALLY with the more knowledge and experience you have.

In regards when people ask for your help reminded me of a joke I had just read in the medical forums:

A doctor and a lawyer were talking at a party. Their conversation was constantly interrupted by people describing their ailments and asking the doctor for free medical advice.

After an hour of this, the exasperated doctor asked the lawyer, "What do you do to stop people from asking you for legal advice when you're out of the office?" "I give it to them," replied the lawyer, "and then I send them a bill." The doctor was shocked, but agreed to give it a try.

The next day, still feeling slightly guilty, the doctor prepared the bills.
When he went to place them in his mailbox, he found a bill from the lawyer.

Fortunately, this has not been a huge problem for me, except in my wifes family. Her mom is a riot about it, but her little sister is in the military and I think has had some bad experiences with psychologists. Apparently she thinks they're "upity." Then again, her husband is an unemployed, pot smokin, waanna be rap artist, so it doesnt taske much to be "upity" compared to that. My family is full of people who are engineers and LOVE hearing about boneferonni corrections and the research aspect. My father is a sports journalist, so if not on ESPN, he doesnt care. That an exaggeration but kind a true too:rolleyes:. My mother does theater and teaches ballet and tap dance to little kids,so yea, she is not all that interested either:laugh:

Fortunately, this has not been a huge problem for me, except in my wifes family....

My friends' eyes generally glaze over if I go for more than 1-2 sentences about a journal article, research finding, cool stats outcome, etc. I forget that not everyone loves this kind of stuff like me, grad student friends, and people on SDN. :D I had an agreement with my first roommate that I didn't talk psych and he didn't talk engineering in mixed company....as both are mind-numbingly boring to outsiders.

I put myself through undergrad as a writing, grammar, and composition tutor at my UG.

No one outside work ever asked me to help them with their grammar.

Sigh.

I put myself through undergrad as a writing, grammar, and composition tutor at my UG.

No one outside work ever asked me to help them with their grammar.

Sigh.

Maybe not, but judging from some of the professional writing I've seen, a lot of people could use your help.;)

Maybe not, but judging from some of the professional writing I've seen, a lot of people could use your help.;)

I was just going to comment: A lot of people in this forum (including ME) might want to take you up on that... ; )

I get this question all the time and, in my opinion, shouldn't be blown out of proportion or generate any kind of iritation.

People have a sense of humor and so should we. :)

Well, whether the question should generate any irritation or not, for me it can (depending on the moment). I'm perfectly aware that people are just trying to make conversation, and make a joke. I just find it mindboggling that so many people still think psychology=Freud! Even for clinicians that isn't always true (and certainly not in my CBT-focused program), and the lack of knowledge about research in general still kind of amazes me. I've been looking at some of those Tversky & Kahneman studies about research knowledge, and people in general are just bad at evaulating research. Probably because they don't have a good idea of what it is! I'm in favor of all high schools adopting a mandatory research methods course. Who's with me?!?

So, I suppose ultimately this question makes me feel like I have to educate the person asking.

So, I suppose ultimately this question makes me feel like I have to educate the person asking.

Good for you! We should all use it as an opportunity to educate the general public on research... even if we have to make a joke to stop ourselves from becoming too irate about it!

Just thought I'd share this since it ties in with both this and another recent thread. Last night my best friend (who's getting a PhD in anthropology) told me I should write my dissertation on Michael Jackson :laugh:

Well, whether the question should generate any irritation or not, for me it can (depending on the moment). I'm perfectly aware that people are just trying to make conversation, and make a joke. I just find it mindboggling that so many people still think psychology=Freud! Even for clinicians that isn't always true (and certainly not in my CBT-focused program), and the lack of knowledge about research in general still kind of amazes me. I've been looking at some of those Tversky & Kahneman studies about research knowledge, and people in general are just bad at evaulating research. Probably because they don't have a good idea of what it is! I'm in favor of all high schools adopting a mandatory research methods course. Who's with me?!?

Well I think part of the reason why people still associate psychology with Freud is because that's still how it's presented in movies and television (most likely because they are often produced in areas that favor psychodynamics). With that being said, analyzing people is not purely the domain of psychodynamic theory.

On research I remember getting advice from people just for something as simple as what experiment to run for our final project in experimental psychology. I don't think I got a single usable suggestion. I did get to explain how research works quite a bit though.

Here's one.
My mother is convinced after finishing my CLINICAL PhD I should be a parapsychologist. I try explain the difference and how that is something I am not remotely interested in but she always says "but you're so interested in the paranormal"..... They do not have a rolly eyes emoticon.

Just thought I'd share this since it ties in with both this and another recent thread. Last night my best friend (who's getting a PhD in anthropology) told me I should write my dissertation on Michael Jackson :laugh:

It'd be slightly more interesting to study why we as a society are more concerned about his death and burial than, say, any other actually significant world event :rolleyes:

It'd be slightly more interesting to study why we as a society are more concerned about his death and burial than, say, any other actually significant world event :rolleyes:

Agreed. :)

Here's one.
My mother is convinced after finishing my CLINICAL PhD I should be a parapsychologist. I try explain the difference and how that is something I am not remotely interested in but she always says "but you're so interested in the paranormal"..... They do not have a rolly eyes emoticon.

Dr. Peter Venkman is my idol....:D