Have I got a chance this cycle?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

whizzpoppers

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Currently a junior at a small liberal arts college in the US

Biophysical sciences major (biophysics)
cGPA: 3.55
sGPA: 3.44
MCAT: will take it in June
California resident

1 year of mol bio research with NSF grant at home school
- with 2 presentations
- will be doing a senior thesis on my research

1 summer of psychiatric research at a hospital in Switzerland
- with 2 presentations
- currently preparing manuscript for publication but probably won't be published till mid-2015
- shadowed & assisted in fMRI studies with schizophrenic subjects at the Swiss hospital, but it was with grad students and not doctors, and there was no patient contact
- will get a LOR from a Swiss medical professor

This summer I plan to do a clinical internship at a hospital that will give me both volunteering and shadowing experience as well as an LOR from a doctor, and I'd hope to add it to my AMCAS before submitting it. Still, I don't know if I'm a strong enough applicant for this cycle because I have virtually no clinical or shadowing experience thus far. Also I haven't taken the MCAT yet, and if I take it in June and bomb it, would I have a chance to retake it before submitting my AMCAS (probably around August)?

What would you suggest? Basically, do I stand a chance at all this round for either MD or DO schools? Or should I take a gap year to get in more clinical exp, and apply in 2015?
Applying summer 2014 with virtually no active clinical experience or shadowing is a bad idea. Another advantage of waiting a year would be the potential improvement for your GPAs, if you can earn a lot of A grades, and the opportunity to add more ECs that would benefit your application, like nonmedical community service, leadership, and/or teaching.

I will further add that applying with just one summer's worth of clinical experience won't do you any favors either. I strongly suggest that you find a local medical facility that welcomes volunteers, where you can start now and return next fall. Consider hospitals, skilled-level nursing homes, clinics (family-planning, low-income, VA, private), rehab facility, inpatient Alzheimers unit, hospice, etc. The average applicant lists 1.5 years of clinical volunteering for a total of 150 hours (duration being more important than number of contact hours). Others gain experience through the workplace.

100% concur with my learned colleague. Apply with the strongest app possible for the 2015 cycle.

Applying summer 2014 with virtually no active clinical experience or shadowing is a bad idea. Another advantage of waiting a year would be the potential improvement for your GPAs, if you can earn a lot of A grades, and the opportunity to add more ECs that would benefit your application, like nonmedical community service, leadership, and/or teaching.

I will further add that applying with just one summer's worth of clinical experience won't do you any favors either. I strongly suggest that you find a local medical facility that welcomes volunteers, where you can start now and return next fall. Consider hospitals, skilled-level nursing homes, clinics (family-planning, low-income, VA, private), rehab facility, inpatient Alzheimers unit, hospice, etc. The average applicant lists 1.5 years of clinical volunteering for a total of 150 hours (duration being more important than number of contact hours). Others gain experience through the workplace.