Have low grades, want to apply to med school. Advice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well that sucks. I saw Jasin attacked someone and the thread went the exact way I expected.

Jasin- I have come to think you are simply a troll. Q said "is english your native language and this is why i ask." she then went on to explain why she asked to which you responded "what does it matter?" she already told you. you also liketo think people are calling everyone else stupid. and this whole "ridiculous" issue just seems.....ridiculous. It is like you are cherry picking the sentences you need to make your argument work while ignoring the context in which it was giving and ignoring the rest of the sentences.

In addition, lets not forget the fact that general biology and general chemistry often have hundreds of students and multiple sections (depending on the school) while the upper level bios are capped at 50 students. Not in all colleges, but the couple I attended. So everyone that says they want to be a doctor isn't going to make it. Plus many say it isn't worth it. So if everyone tries to talk you out of it and you know all of the reasons not to and you press forward anyway, maybe it is for you. Awesome. Too many people go into it thinking, "i want this," and get out thinking "i really wish i didn't do that." people with experience are just making sure others understand what they are getting into.

I finished my own basement. Didn't know what I was doing because I had never done it. Looking back, I wouldn't do it again and wish i didn't the first time. If someone comes to me and says, "i have never finished a basement, should I do it myself?" when i say i wouldn't and this is why, it doesn't mean I am calling them stupid because they didn't get a 4.0. And when they ask my wife who hasn't physically done it, she would say the same because I explained every crappy part to her. Everyone giving advice on this thread is talking in the same way. Q and DrMidLife have been there and done it, the others have listened to their battle stories, and we offer these to people who ask. It is a pretty simple system really.

OP- that post from DrMidLife is awesome. Make sure you really know what you are getting into and determine if it is worth it. If you don't, awesome, enjoy what you do find. If you do, hit it hard. good luck.

Members don't see this ad.

well that sucks. I saw jasin attacked someone and the thread went the exact way i expected.

Jasin- i have come to think you are simply a troll. Q said "is english your native language and this is why i ask." she then went on to explain why she asked to which you responded "what does it matter?" she already told you. You also liketo think people are calling everyone else stupid. And this whole "ridiculous" issue just seems.....ridiculous. It is like you are cherry picking the sentences you need to make your argument work while ignoring the context in which it was giving and ignoring the rest of the sentences.

In addition, lets not forget the fact that general biology and general chemistry often have hundreds of students and multiple sections (depending on the school) while the upper level bios are capped at 50 students. Not in all colleges, but the couple i attended. So everyone that says they want to be a doctor isn't going to make it. Plus many say it isn't worth it. So if everyone tries to talk you out of it and you know all of the reasons not to and you press forward anyway, maybe it is for you. Awesome. Too many people go into it thinking, "i want this," and get out thinking "i really wish i didn't do that." people with experience are just making sure others understand what they are getting into.

I finished my own basement. Didn't know what i was doing because i had never done it. Looking back, i wouldn't do it again and wish i didn't the first time. If someone comes to me and says, "i have never finished a basement, should i do it myself?" when i say i wouldn't and this is why, it doesn't mean i am calling them stupid because they didn't get a 4.0. And when they ask my wife who hasn't physically done it, she would say the same because i explained every crappy part to her. Everyone giving advice on this thread is talking in the same way. Q and drmidlife have been there and done it, the others have listened to their battle stories, and we offer these to people who ask. It is a pretty simple system really.

Op- that post from drmidlife is awesome. Make sure you really know what you are getting into and determine if it is worth it. If you don't, awesome, enjoy what you do find. If you do, hit it hard. Good luck.

qft.

Members don't see this ad :)
I never attacked you personally, either. I just made an assumption based on the fact that you are entirely defensive over a situation that doesn't even directly affect you. You, however, feel like you have to comment to everyone on this thread and argue about how they're wrong because they don't agree with what you've said. You haven't been able to let this thread go since it started. The OP hasn't been back in forever.

But the fact that you continuously have to post about where you get your definitions just to prove a point means you really can't let things go.

I analyzed your arguments structure and wording ... and that's how I determined it was an Ad Hominem. There is no assuming or guessing in that!!

Last edited:
Honestly, you sound like you have a chip on your shoulder because of some bad medical school application experience.

This right here is negative and based on my circumstance and was used to refute my original position. Therefore, your argument is a Circumstantial Ad Hominem.

Last edited:
Actually you did.

And again, you argue.

I'm really done with this thread. You want to get the last word? Fine. Enjoy your "goal" for the day. If you want to believe I attacked you, go ahead as well. The delusion is in your head, not mine.

Back here again are we?

:laugh:

Well, we wouldn't be back here if certain people on here did not act like they were deans of admissions holding a magic wand over who does and does not get into medical school.

And again, you argue.

I'm really done with this thread. You want to get the last word? Fine. Enjoy your "goal" for the day. If you want to believe I attacked you, go ahead as well. The delusion is in your head, not mine.

Dude, are you delusional or do you just not understand what a fallacious argument is ??? :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Dr. Midlife or anyone willing to answer,

I have a question. If your GPA will be a 3.1 when you graduate, but your science gpa is around 3.6-3.8. What do you recommend? Should that person go ahead and take the MCAT, try to get a masters, or get a job like a real person? I honestly think this will be the case for me when I graduate in another year and a half.

Wow Jasin, all I can say is congratulations. You have earned the honor of being the very first poster on SDN that I have ever put on my "ignore" list, and you managed it in just one thread!

Dr. Midlife or anyone willing to answer,

I have a question. If your GPA will be a 3.1 when you graduate, but your science gpa is around 3.6-3.8. What do you recommend? Should that person go ahead and take the MCAT, try to get a masters, or get a job like a real person? I honestly think this will be the case for me when I graduate in another year and a half.
A science GPA above 3.5 says to me you should be able to do well on the MCAT.

If you can get a good MCAT score (31+ is average for US MD), then I think you should apply. If you start doing practice tests and you just can't break 30, then look at doing more school (get more A's, buff that overall GPA) while you do serious lengthy prep.

If you're going to apply, then apply early and broadly. Early means before the end of July (in pre-allo they call that hopelessly late, which is cute). Which means your MCAT score needs to be available before the end of July. Broadly means lots of schools, maybe 20.

If you don't succeed, then look into SMPs.

If you're willing to get a job like a real person, and you think you'd be happy outside medicine, then shove med school aside and don't look back. If you can't imagine not being a doctor, then go for it and don't look back.

Best of luck to you.

It was ridiculous for me to invest additional years between undergrad and med school, just to get into med school. There are other careers with high pay, respect, prestige, influence, and a positive impact on the human condition, that don't require a high risk investment. My insistence on medical training is not only ridiculous, it's selfish and hubristic. The extra years and money for my GPA comeback help nobody but me, and if those extra years and money hadn't resulted in getting accepted, because I did not responsibly consider the downside, and bailed out or performed poorly, then they helped nobody at all. Choosing a ridiculous, selfish and hubristic comeback into med school does not mean I'm innately ridiculous, selfish or hubristic. Or stupid. I think it just means I'm an American raised on Disney.

Selfish and hubristic? Really? :eek: Having a firm science background couldn't hurt if one ultimately decides to pursue research or a related science field. :) And I'd like to think putting in all those volunteer hours at clinics and tutoring students is helping someone. :laugh: I get where you're coming from, though.

Anyways, that post you always link to was a helpful reality check for me last year, Dr Midlife. What you said about learning how to get As is so important. :thumbup: Starting off nice n' slow with 2 classes was the right move for me, so many thanks for sharing your wisdom.

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow Jasin, all I can say is congratulations. You have earned the honor of being the very first poster on SDN that I have ever put on my "ignore" list, and you managed it in just one thread!

I :love: haters!

so... by your logic everyone with a 3.5 or better is stupid? is that what you're saying? I think that's what you're saying.

I never said that!!! Just saying, a high science gpa does not mean you will score high on the physical sciences section of the mcat.

This is only the first time you've used it? I think it's an excellent tool and I use it liberally, especially around pre-allo. :laugh::laugh:

Btw, I've been meaning to say it for a while, but congrats on Colorado! I (along with everyone else and their dogs) was cheering for you.

I never said that!!! Just saying, a high science gpa does not mean you will score high on the physical sciences section of the mcat.

It sure sounded like you said that. In fact, I'm genuinely dismayed that you think my 3.59 will keep me out of medical school. The insinuations you've made! Well. I'll tell you something sir- you are not the author of the mcat and you do not tell people what score they'll get!

It sure sounded like you said that. In fact, I'm genuinely dismayed that you think my 3.59 will keep me out of medical school. The insinuations you've made! Well. I'll tell you something sir- you are not the author of the mcat and you do not tell people what score they'll get!

:rofl:

You assumed I said that when in fact I did not :mad:

I have a very high science gpa myself. None of the sciences courses I took though are relevant to the mcat. But yeah, of course, by your logic :D anyone in this situation should still do very well on the mcat physical science since their science gpa is high.

If High science GPA, then high MCAT score? According to you, not necessarily. Didn't seem like too big of a stretch. Just not something people want to hear.

The physical sciences portion of the mcat is largely chemistry and physics.

We should not be fighting on a day like today; in remembrance of Martin Luther King Jr., the greatest civil rights leader ever. :)

Last edited:
Well that sucks. I saw Jasin attacked someone and the thread went the exact way I expected.

Jasin- I have come to think you are simply a troll. Q said "is english your native language and this is why i ask." she then went on to explain why she asked to which you responded "what does it matter?" she already told you. you also liketo think people are calling everyone else stupid. and this whole "ridiculous" issue just seems.....ridiculous. It is like you are cherry picking the sentences you need to make your argument work while ignoring the context in which it was giving and ignoring the rest of the sentences.

In addition, lets not forget the fact that general biology and general chemistry often have hundreds of students and multiple sections (depending on the school) while the upper level bios are capped at 50 students. Not in all colleges, but the couple I attended. So everyone that says they want to be a doctor isn't going to make it. Plus many say it isn't worth it. So if everyone tries to talk you out of it and you know all of the reasons not to and you press forward anyway, maybe it is for you. Awesome. Too many people go into it thinking, "i want this," and get out thinking "i really wish i didn't do that." people with experience are just making sure others understand what they are getting into.

I finished my own basement. Didn't know what I was doing because I had never done it. Looking back, I wouldn't do it again and wish i didn't the first time. If someone comes to me and says, "i have never finished a basement, should I do it myself?" when i say i wouldn't and this is why, it doesn't mean I am calling them stupid because they didn't get a 4.0. And when they ask my wife who hasn't physically done it, she would say the same because I explained every crappy part to her. Everyone giving advice on this thread is talking in the same way. Q and DrMidLife have been there and done it, the others have listened to their battle stories, and we offer these to people who ask. It is a pretty simple system really.

OP- that post from DrMidLife is awesome. Make sure you really know what you are getting into and determine if it is worth it. If you don't, awesome, enjoy what you do find. If you do, hit it hard. good luck.

I :love: haters.

Last edited:
I'm sure if I was not Deaf no one on here would be hatin on me.

You yourself said it "Didn't seem like too big of a stretch". But why's it not a stretch? Precisely because of that fact. The fact that the physical sciences are largely chemistry and physics and NOT all sciences, as I previously noted, are that.

I'm sure if I was not Deaf no one on here would be hatin on me.
For all we know, you're a 14 year old girl in Beijing, with no problems of any kind, who is having a blast messing with people.

This is an anonymous internet forum. Nobody knows anything about anybody, and very little is verifiable.

Also: why do you hate Ghandi so much all the time?

Btw, not all medical schools require the mcat.

For all we know, you're a 14 year old girl in Beijing, with no problems of any kind, who is having a blast messing with people.

This is an anonymous internet forum. Nobody knows anything about anybody, and very little is verifiable.

Also: why do you hate Ghandi so much all the time?

Its right there on my profile.

About me:
Biography
I am Deaf. I use ASL to communicate.

Ridiculous is this whole thread at this point.

I graduated with a 2.56 GPA on my BS. I am now holding an acceptance to medical school but it was living H*LL. If you are not 110% committed, then the best advice anyone can give is to not waste the time & money.

If you are 110% committed, then ignore conventional wisdom and do what your heart tells you but it will be hard. If I listened to SDN and got upset over posts telling me I didn't have a chance I wouldn't be where I am.

Its right there on my profile.

About me:
Biography
I am Deaf. I use ASL to communicate.

Jasin,

All GPA stuff aside, how profound is your hearing loss?

There are requirements for medical school & licensing that exceed those of normal school. And are NOT fully excused by the ADA. I don't know them but I would suggest you confirm if you are eligible before you go to far down this road.

...And thank you for the congrats, it has been a long fought battle to get here.

Jasin,

There are requirements for medical school & licensing that exceed those of normal school. And are NOT fully excused by the ADA. I don't know them but I would suggest you confirm if you are eligible before you go to far down this road.

...And thank you for the congrats, it has been a long fought battle to get here.

"Deaf people can do anything, except hear."- I. King Jordan

Last edited:
Jasin,

All GPA stuff aside, how profound is your hearing loss?

Attitudes like this are discriminatory and insulting. :mad:

"Deaf people can do anything, except hear."- I. King Jordan

fun quote, but it doesn't change anything.

Here is a link to Des Moines University's technical standards:
http://www.dmu.edu/do/admission-requirements/technical-standards/

If you look at the second requirement, under the Communication section, you will see that motivational quotes don't ALWAYS apply. This is one school.

And see this is why you are annoying everyone. He was telling you so you were aware. That way you looked into it now instead of getting to the application and every school saying "sorry, you don't qualify." He was trying to help you but you can't understand that.

fun quote, but it doesn't change anything.

Here is a link to Des Moines University's technical standards:
http://www.dmu.edu/do/admission-requirements/technical-standards/

If you look at the second requirement, under the Communication section, you will see that motivational quotes don't ALWAYS apply. This is one school.

And see this is why you are annoying everyone. He was telling you so you were aware. That way you looked into it now instead of getting to the application and every school saying "sorry, you don't qualify." He was trying to help you but you can't understand that.

:confused: If they Deaf can't be doctors then how are there 51 Deaf doctors in the USA ?

:confused: If they Deaf can't be doctors then how are there 51 Deaf doctors in the USA ?

no one ever said the deaf can't be doctors. Maybe you should learn to read. He asked how profound the hearing loss is. He told you to look into it before you started down the road. Maybe the 51 doctors aren't completely deaf. Maybe you aren't completely deaf. It is something to look into.

no one ever said the deaf can't be doctors. Maybe you should learn to read. He asked how profound the hearing loss is. He told you to look into it before you started down the road. Maybe the 51 doctors aren't completely deaf. Maybe you aren't completely deaf. It is something to look into.

You linked to a medical school web site that says hearing is a requirement.

"Candidates and students should be able to speak, hear"

They should remove that requirement. They are opening themselves up to a lawsuit under the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 and the Americans with Disability Acts.

Not necessarily. You should probably look at what is covered under the ADA instead of just assuming. I personally don't know too much about what is covered under the ADA laws, but as far as being a physician, there might be some instances where things just have to be. I'd check it out before getting angry and assuming.

Its soooooo sad that in 21st century people still hold these prejudices and discriminatory attitudes.

Status
Not open for further replies.