Have you ever tried to quit caffeine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Lol. Indeed she is. She is a cow, and she still feels the need to wear the cow suit.
Monroe's a crazy place. I just assumed she was very fond of Ben & Jerry's.

Members don't see this ad.

You probably drank 75% milk and 25% actual coffee. All that tryptophan probably counter acted the caffeine

Even pure black coffee does the same thing to me and so do high caffeine sodas

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, I do understand that arachnid physiology is different from that of a human, and that's why I did the experiment with myself in the first place. I wanted to see how my body (a human) would react upon a long time removal of caffeine from my system. I was asking people if they had a similar experience after stop taking caffeine.

I edited the first post, and posted the link to the study if you're curious. And by the way, NASA doesn't only carry out aerospace research. I'm surprised that you didn't know that especially if you work at NASA.

NASA is a big administration with several different research arms, but they do all tie into aerospace one way or another. Again, I work at NASA. I don't see the utility of 1) NASA conducting experiments on drug toxicity or 2) using spiders as a model. Apparently, NASA doesn't either.

For your information, this study was conducted in 1995, probably as we investigated ways to destroy spiderman. It was cited a total of 7 times...womp womp womp...let's make it 8.

Noever, R., J. Cronise, and R. A. Relwani. 1995. Using spider-web patterns to determine toxicity. NASA Tech Briefs 19(4):82.

As for NASA today, I took this from their website:

NASA conducts its work in four principal organizations, called mission directorates:

• Aeronautics: manages research focused on meeting global demand for air mobility in ways that are more environmentally friendly and sustainable, while also embracing revolutionary technology from outside aviation.
  • Human Exploration and Operations: focuses on International Space Station operations, development of commercial spaceflight capabilities and human exploration beyond low-Earth orbit.
  • Science: explores the Earth, solar system and universe beyond; charts the best route of discovery; and reaps the benefits of Earth and space exploration for society.
  • Space Technology: rapidly develops, innovates, demonstrates, and infuses revolutionary, high-payoff technologies that enable NASA's future missions while providing economic benefit to the nation.
I am appalled that they no longer have a spider-research division. The audacity!

I'm writing my resignation letter today....oh wait, already did that.

Reactions: 1 user
There's actually a study recently that showed milk with tea basically removed all the benefits. Not directly related to caffeine, but caffeine-ish. I'm very proud to posit this idea before this study, based on my knowledge of caseins, so I always drank my coffee black. It's always nice to feel like your grasp of science is awesome.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2007/01/070108191523.htm
Down with the milk industrial complex!

Also I'm calling it: @BrownyLover is ProfessorKhan's newest account.

Even pure black coffee does the same thing to me and so do high caffeine sodas
I used to be the same, then I started sleeping right.

Nope I have never tried to quit caffeine. It is the love of my life. It keeps me sane. Most importantly, it keeps me from being a grade A female dog...or attacking people with knives.

black-coffee31.gif

Nope I have never tried to quit caffeine. It is the love of my life. It keeps me sane. Most importantly, it keeps me from being a grade A female dog...or attacking people with knives.

black-coffee31.gif

:thinking:

... feisty... :naughty:

Interestingly, sodas have caffeine, although I drink them from time to time. Caffeine hasn't defeated me yet!

Members don't see this ad :)
Monroe's a crazy place. I just assumed she was very fond of Ben & Jerry's.
I've never even heard of a murder all my life there. That is crazy. But yea she looks interested in ben and Jerry's

I envy those who can get a "caffeine high" from soda or tea. That is rediculous. I need strong brazilian coffee like twice a day. If I'm studying, I'm drinking coffee.

I used to drink a 1L bottle of soda everyday until a couple of years ago, definitely much easier to control my weight, no mental side effects noted.

I used to drink a 1L bottle of soda everyday until a couple of years ago, definitely much easier to control my weight, no mental side effects noted.

wow. that crazy. I rarely drink soda any more and when I do, I'm surprised by how sweet it is.

Khan is a viet last name (I can't spell it out D: - hope that is not offensive - if it is, I will bake you brownies)

I am not viet. I am Chinese :3
I never was a professor and do not have the audacity to claim to be one - however, I may as well have a phD in brownies.

I do have a previous account, but I lost my password and I blocked SDN so...

Khan is a Viet name? Do you drink brownie-flavored coffee?

NASA is a big administration with several different research arms, but they do all tie into aerospace one way or another. Again, I work at NASA. I don't see the utility of 1) NASA conducting experiments on drug toxicity or 2) using spiders as a model. Apparently, NASA doesn't either.

For your information, this study was conducted in 1995, probably as we investigated ways to destroy spiderman. It was cited a total of 7 times...womp womp womp...let's make it 8.

Noever, R., J. Cronise, and R. A. Relwani. 1995. Using spider-web patterns to determine toxicity. NASA Tech Briefs 19(4):82.

As for NASA today, I took this from their website:

NASA conducts its work in four principal organizations, called mission directorates:

• Aeronautics: manages research focused on meeting global demand for air mobility in ways that are more environmentally friendly and sustainable, while also embracing revolutionary technology from outside aviation.
  • Human Exploration and Operations: focuses on International Space Station operations, development of commercial spaceflight capabilities and human exploration beyond low-Earth orbit.
  • Science: explores the Earth, solar system and universe beyond; charts the best route of discovery; and reaps the benefits of Earth and space exploration for society.
  • Space Technology: rapidly develops, innovates, demonstrates, and infuses revolutionary, high-payoff technologies that enable NASA's future missions while providing economic benefit to the nation.
I am appalled that they no longer have a spider-research division. The audacity!

I'm writing my resignation letter today....oh wait, already did that.

If you read the study carefully, you will realize that NASA chose spiders as a model, because weaving webs is an intricate process that requires careful planning and thinking ahead.

You sure you work at NASA? Being an intern there doesn't make you an employee.

I don't think brownies tastes good soaked in coffee... I must try it sometimes.

66 comments in your first day? Well, props friend thats no easy feat. But neither is... EATING A WHOLE TRAY OF BROWNIES lollollollollollol
680.gif

OP, you're a premed and such, but I think the pharm concepts of therapeutic window versus LD50 may help your understanding of coffee.

Give anyone enough coffee and their heart will explode. Give them some coffee at therapeutic doses and they will be alert and maybe have some clarity.

Lab grade caffeine is toxic and is actually stored under lock and key usually. That shiet is so pure and potent, you'd have to snort it off someone's bum to truly live the experience.

OP, you're a premed and such, but I think the pharm concepts of therapeutic window versus LD50 may help your understanding of coffee.

Give anyone enough coffee and their heart will explode. Give them some coffee at therapeutic doses and they will be alert and maybe have some clarity.

Lab grade caffeine is toxic and is actually stored under lock and key usually. That shiet is so pure and potent, you'd have to snort it off someone's bum to truly live the experience.
It's like you been waiting for this thread or something (re: your username). Are you a resident in caffeinology?

Quit coffee only once. Cold turkey for 5 days and then started decaf which continued for about 3 weeks. Went back to caffeine after that - but not in the amount I was consuming before. Definitely noticed that I felt better overall with less caffeine.

If you read the study carefully, you will realize that NASA chose spiders as a model, because weaving webs is an intricate process that requires careful planning and thinking ahead.

You sure you work at NASA? Being an intern there doesn't make you an employee.

First of all, stop being a knuckle-head. Just stop.

Secondly, spiders are not an appropriate model to gain insight into human physiology, including physiological responses to narcotics. I'll reduce this for your understanding - the primitive central nervous system of a spider that governs web weaving is vastly different from humans; thus, there is little reason to believe that 1.) CNS processes which control web-weaving and 2.) responses to factors that may disrupt CNS processes (such as narcotics) will resemble the human condition. In other words, as someone interested in human physiology, I don't care how a spider responds to caffeine.

Thirdly, I have a PhD.

Fourthly, I work at NASA. I am a scientist, and much more.

Fifthly, stop being a knuckle-head. You are part of our collective future and my expectations for you are higher.

Sixthly, sssshhhh.

First of all, stop being a knuckle-head. Just stop.

Secondly, spiders are not an appropriate model to gain insight into human physiology, including physiological responses to narcotics. I'll reduce this for your understanding - the primitive central nervous system of a spider that governs web weaving is vastly different from humans; thus, there is little reason to believe that 1.) CNS processes which control web-weaving and 2.) responses to factors that may disrupt CNS processes (such as narcotics) will resemble the human condition. In other words, as someone interested in human physiology, I don't care how a spider responds to caffeine.

Thirdly, I have a PhD.

Fourthly, I work at NASA. I am a scientist, and much more.

Fifthly, stop being a knuckle-head. You are part of our collective future and my expectations for you are higher.

Sixthly, sssshhhh.

I never stated that spiders were suitable models for studying human physiology, and neither did the scientists who ran the experiment; you're missing the big picture here.

Also, despite your name, stop being a pompous ass. Don't put yourself on a pedestal by assuring everyone over and over again that you work at NASA. This is the Student Doctors Network, and nobody gives a ****. And frankly, having a PhD and working at NASA doesn't impress me one bit; I've met people who are far more brilliant than you and also very humble.

Really, you would expect more from someone who works at NASA with a PhD degree.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sometimes I take ephedrine with my caffeine. Feels good, man.

I went an 18 month stretch using 2-3x the recommended dosage of Ephedrine. Amazing.

Guys you can pretty much make a study say anything. The right protocol, massaging of the data and interpretation can make all the difference. Drink it if you want to stay awake but don't pretend like it's some sort of miracle drug. Leave that to Dr. Oz.

In research, we call that "p-hunting".

I tried giving soda up and lasted like 10 days. I felt a little cranky without it but otherwise no major problems or withdrawals.

Yep. I did a lot of disciplinary stuff at my university and I was shocked at how many LSD and shrooms cases I saw. Those two drugs are REALLY making a resurgence on campuses and I assume its because people are shaking the stereotypes that they are dangerous. However, they can be dangerous when a bad trip puts you at risk of harming yourself because you aren't aware of your surroundings. That is exceedingly rare though.
It's unlikely that LSD is making a resurgence on your campus. Almost everything that people say is "LSD" today is something from the nbome series or 2C series, which actually are extremely dangerous and largely unresearched.
Just thought I should mention that in case anyone had some sudden inspiration to get their hands on "LSD" after reading the OP's post.

Remember: "If it's bitter, it's a spitter." Alternatively, you could just swallow rather than spit. LSD is still active when put through the rough and tumble of the alimentary canal, but most of the icky, dangerous stuff isn't. Stay safe, everyone.

Two reasons why I love you: Your delicious brownie avatar and your ability to tie in brownies to your posts.
Brownylover has been banned :O

I'm surprised how she was banned by not the other trolls. It's ok, her influence has affected my diet (bought brownies yesterday)

it's because I have ADHD.
Ignorant here and cannot tell if this is a joke. Does taking all those amphetamine salts make you less responsive to caffeine?

Ignorant here and cannot tell if this is a joke. Does taking all those amphetamine salts make you less responsive to caffeine?

Lol you mean adderall? :p Caffeine never worked well on me, but it wouldnt surprise me if taking their ADHD meds did make caffeine less effective for some people. I saw a study on something like that a while ago. Stimulants calm me down tho. I can drink like 3 cups of black coffee then nap time. This isn't the case for everyone with ADHD, but it is for a lot of people. It's called the paradoxical response and if I could explain why things work that way I would have by now.

Last edited:
I stopped drinking caffeine a couple of years ago. I do not have a very constant schedule (or mood; I'm a bit erratic), so intake was variable. This made me get headaches all the damn time. I finally just said it wasn't worth it.

I'm very happy with the decision to quit! No complaints here! :)

Lol you mean adderall? :p Caffeine never worked well on me, but it wouldnt surprise me if taking their ADHD meds did make caffeine less effective for some people. I saw a study on something like that a while ago. Stimulants calm me down tho. I can drink like 3 cups of black coffee then nap time. This isn't the case for everyone with ADHD, but it is for a lot of people. It's called the paradoxical response and if I could explain why things work that way I would have by now.
confused here.

Do you take Adderall? Or was that a joke?

confused here.

Do you take Adderall? Or was that a joke?

I take a diff med, but I was just saying adderall because you said "amphetamine salts" and that's adderall.

Reactions: 1 users
I take a diff med, but I was just saying adderall because you said "amphetamine salts" and that's adderall.
Thanks for the clarification. It now makes sense.

Brownylover has been banned :O

I'm surprised how she was banned by not the other trolls. It's ok, her influence has affected my diet (bought brownies yesterday)
She gets banned, and these other trolls who are much worse don't? Good grief.

I never stated that spiders were suitable models for studying human physiology, and neither did the scientists who ran the experiment; you're missing the big picture here.

Also, despite your name, stop being a pompous ass. Don't put yourself on a pedestal by assuring everyone over and over again that you work at NASA. This is the Student Doctors Network, and nobody gives a ****. And frankly, having a PhD and working at NASA doesn't impress me one bit; I've met people who are far more brilliant than you and also very humble.

Really, you would expect more from someone who works at NASA with a PhD degree.
I didn't think you could get any more unimpressive. I was wrong.

You are correct - this is a student doctor network, hence my confusion to trying to draw comparison to a spider study, which you did in your n=1 self-experiment. I'm here because I'm matriculating to medical school next year, which makes sense. Are you?

I only stated where I worked, because it was relevant to my surprise about the nature of your spidey study. I only repeated where I worked, because you called it into question in all of your responses to my posts, knuckle-head.

I am not pompous. I am an adult. You will be like this in a few years, if you manage to grow up. In the meantime, your grounded.

Last edited:
This may come as a surprise to you but LSD is actually quite harmless despite its strong hallucinatory effects. It's as safe as marijuana (which is already quite harmless) but even less (mentally) addictive than it. We've just been conditioned to believe LSD is some hardcore drug with extremely damaging effects. There are actually no long term effects of LSD use and it is definitely MUCH safer than Caffeine.

Anyway to answer your question, I have never accustomed to drinking a daily morning coffee but I would consume caffeine regularly through the preworkout supps I used to take (~4 times/week). I then decided to go stim free and quite all caffeine beverages cold turkey. Never had any withdrawal symptoms whatsoever.
and @msquaredb
The idea that LSD is some hardcore drug is mostly because it is, but not hardcore in the sense of addictive (like heroine or meth). It is hardcore in the sense the its effect are highly pronounced (i.e., "trip balls"). So while you could go about a normal day drinking a cup of coffee--or rather, maybe you need a cup of coffee for your day to be normal--if you take a couple hits of acid, there is no way your day is going to be normal. So it is hardcore in the sense that its one of the most psychoactive drugs there is. Not understanding a reference in society doesn't make it a misnomer.

As far as caffeine goes, I've read that caffeine doesn't actually improve performance; but when you are addicted/adapted to it, caffeine returns your performance to what would have otherwise been average for you. So it's best to just not start being a regular, because it is not actually giving you a boost, but just returning you to your original baseline. I can dredge up the literature if wanted.

and @msquaredb
The idea that LSD is some hardcore drug is mostly because it is, but not hardcore in the sense of addictive (like heroine or meth). It is hardcore in the sense the its effect are highly pronounced (i.e., "trip balls"). So while you could go about a normal day drinking a cup of coffee--or rather, maybe you need a cup of coffee for your day to be normal--if you take a couple hits of acid, there is no way your day is going to be normal. So it is hardcore in the sense that its one of the most psychoactive drugs there is. Not understanding a reference in society doesn't make it a misnomer.

As far as caffeine goes, I've read that caffeine doesn't actually improve performance; but when you are addicted/adapted to it, caffeine returns your performance to what would have otherwise been average for you. So it's best to just not start being a regular, because it is not actually giving you a boost, but just returning you to your original baseline. I can dredge up the literature if wanted.

your comment about caffeine is insanely interesting. plz show me that. im super curious.

Define normal
I guess you could define abnormal without having to define normal, which I would say for the case of dropping acid:
A marked increase of finding you spiritual center, discovering the meaning of life, and finger-painting.
Since this isn't a defining or limiting case (not in a grey-zone type deal), it would be pretty clear its not normal.

A marked increase of finding you spiritual center, discovering the meaning of life, and finger-painting.

Brings me back to my preschool and early elementary school days.