Haven't studied at all- should I still take November MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ronnicus

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I took a Kaplan practice test a few months ago and got a 23, but I haven't studied at all. I figured I might as well take the November test and then take it again January if I don't score above a 30. There's no real harm to having a low score right? I might be able to take a few practice tests before the test date. Or should I just scrap the November test and focus on studying for the January one? I'm just worried I'll do really bad on the January test and not have a chance to retake it.

Members don't see this ad.

A low score WILL hurt. The best application is one with a single high score.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you score 23 on Kaplan, you're probably going to score around there on the real MCAT.

Well what if I do poorly in January and don't have another chance of taking the old test?

No one can answer this but yourself. Do you think your score will exponentially increase to a 30 in a month? Why waste getting a low score when odd are you will most likely score in the mid 20s? But I guess this honestly depends on yourself and how you feel about it. I would recommend the january date because it grants you enough time to thoroughly grasp the material and ample time to practice. Best of luck

I took a Kaplan practice test a few months ago and got a 23, but I haven't studied at all. I figured I might as well take the November test and then take it again January if I don't score above a 30. There's no real harm to having a low score right? I might be able to take a few practice tests before the test date. Or should I just scrap the November test and focus on studying for the January one? I'm just worried I'll do really bad on the January test and not have a chance to retake it.

1. Many schools average all MCAT scores, if you take MCAT more than once.
2. AAMC practice tests are the best way to predict what your score will be on the real MCAT.
3. GPA and MCAT alone, I've heard, will determine whether or not many schools will even look at your application.