Haven't Taken Biochem

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Two Sides

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm studying for the mcat, and will apply this coming cycle. Unfortunately, I majored in a non-science area and haven't taken biochem. My parents are pressuring me to apply this cycle since i'm 23. Do you guys recommend kaplan biochem or any other source?

Members don't see this ad.

Take biochem. Do not take the MCAT before you're ready. You are a young adult - you do not have to give in to your parent's demands, especially if it would put you at a disadvantage (e.g. being a re-applicant, getting a low MCAT, etc.)

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks, man. I know i'll be putting myself at a disadvantage, but I have strict parents.

Just to let you know - if you haven't already started your MCAT studying and you're planning on applying this cycle, make sure you choose your list carefully. You didn't provide any stats so I can't comment much beyond that. Strict parents are one thing but try not to make it too much of an uphill battle.

I've been studying for 2-3 months, and am a full time student. I'm retaking courses and volunteering. Unforuntately, this is a major uphill battle.

The whole textbook?

I am a personal proponent of Lehninger, but there is no way you're getting through the whole textbook with the time you have left. Use the Kaplan book to introduce you to topics and if you have more questions go to Lehninger.

I'm working with a tutor, and she said that we'll decide as I get closer to the date. I can't change the past, but I really wish I majored in bio.

Lehninger is very good, but, personally, I am a big fan of Lubert Stryer. I think Stryer is the greatest. He has such a straightforward, common-sense way of explaining and his love of the knowledge shines through. You don't need a recent edition. Unlike molecular biology, the core knowledge base in biochemistry has held pretty steady for the past thirty years. I would go back to Stryer's 2nd or 3rd edition. The 2nd edition is a compact wonder, although the illustrations in the 3rd are a little better. Alternatively you could get a back edition of his Short Course in Biochemistry which I think was an attempt to recapture the magic of those early editions. Lippincott's biochemistry review would be a good supplement. You definitely need to go above and beyond MCAT materials in learning this material. You have a real challenge ahead of you.

You don't need to study the whole book but you do need to know everything up to and including Amino Acid Degradation and the Urea Cycle for the new MCAT. After that, you can skim. You need to have an idea of the shape of 2nd semester just to be sophisticated, but you don't need to memorize the biosynthesis of phenylalanine etc. The second semester is full of long, drawn-out biosyntheses. Skim that.

It's really important you start right away and take this seriously. Sophistication with biochemistry is the single most important predictor of success on the new exam. Learn that 400 pages of Stryer (or Lehninger) so that you could open your textbook at any place, immediately recognize the discussion and give a synopsis. Take it one step at a time. Multiple cycles through the material are more important than one long grind.

Lehninger is very good, but, personally, I am a big fan of Lubert Stryer. I think Stryer is the greatest. He has such a straightforward, common-sense way of explaining and his love of the knowledge shines through. You don't need a recent edition. Unlike molecular biology, the core knowledge base in biochemistry has held pretty steady for the past thirty years. I would go back to Stryer's 2nd or 3rd edition. The 2nd edition is a compact wonder, although the illustrations in the 3rd are a little better. Alternatively you could get a back edition of his Short Course in Biochemistry which I think was an attempt to recapture the magic of those early editions. Lippincott's biochemistry review would be a good supplement. You definitely need to go above and beyond MCAT materials in learning this material. You have a real challenge ahead of you.

You don't need to study the whole book but you do need to know everything up to and including Amino Acid Degradation and the Urea Cycle for the new MCAT. After that, you can skim. You need to have an idea of the shape of 2nd semester just to be sophisticated, but you don't need to memorize the biosynthesis of phenylalanine etc. The second semester is full of long, drawn-out biosyntheses. Skim that.

It's really important you start right away and take this seriously. Sophistication with biochemistry is the single most important predictor of success on the new exam. Learn that 400 pages of Stryer (or Lehninger) so that you could open your textbook at any place, immediately recognize the discussion and give a synopsis. Take it one step at a time. Multiple cycles through the material are more important than one long grind.

What about reading Lippincott's Illustrated Series?

What about reading Lippincott's Illustrated Series?

Lippincott's Illustrated Review of Biochemistry is head-and-shoulders the best summary book. It has the facts you need to know. The illustrations are good. Etc.

But there is more to it than the just putting facts in your head. What a great textbook like Lehninger or Stryer conveys is more than the facts but also a disposition on the biochemistry, and it's hard to understate how important internalizing that disposition is to understanding the mind-set informing the passages and questions on the exam. Take an important concept like the role of Coenzyme A as a carrier of activated acyl groups, Lippincott will express that fact in a straightforward way, and that's very good, but in Stryer, the fact will be embedded in a recurrent theme involving thioesters and phosphate anhydrides as activated carboxylic acid derivatives. It comes up again and again, and the emphasis gives you a deeper understanding of bioenergetics. There are many examples like that. To do well in the biochem on the new exam you need to get to that place. The facts aren't enough.

Reactions: 1 user
If you have time, I found mixing in biochem review articles was very helpful in getting me to see the 'why should I care' aspect of things.

Lippincott's Illustrated Review of Biochemistry is head-and-shoulders the best summary book. It has the facts you need to know. The illustrations are good. Etc.

But there is more to it than the just putting facts in your head. What a great textbook like Lehninger or Stryer conveys is more than the facts but also a disposition on the biochemistry, and it's hard to understate how important internalizing that disposition is to understanding the mind-set informing the passages and questions on the exam. Take an important concept like the role of Coenzyme A as a carrier of activated acyl groups, Lippincott will express that fact in a straightforward way, and that's very good, but in Stryer, the fact will be embedded in a recurrent theme involving thioesters and phosphate anhydrides as activated carboxylic acid derivatives. It comes up again and again, and the emphasis gives you a deeper understanding of bioenergetics. There are many examples like that. To do well in the biochem on the new exam you need to get to that place. The facts aren't enough.

Hey, man. I appreciate your advice and the length of your posts, you really seem helpful. I just don't see how I could possibly read a whole textbook before my test date. I'm just trying to utilize my time effectively, and learn as much as I can in the amount of time I have. I'm leaning towards Kaplan, Next Step, and Illustrated.

Is Khan Academy biochem videos sufficient for the exam if we haven't taken it yet?