Having a "W" on your Transcript. Need another perspective/assurance...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jamin131

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

This is my first post here. I am a second year pre med student.

In short, I know having a W on your transcript is pretty bad in itself. However, I believe I can justify it without making any excuses.

I am a recent transfer student in a pretty decent pre-med program university. I took 15 credits this year with the course in question being a 3-credit intro to neuro elective class that is not mandatory for my bio sci major. Currently I am working part time 4 to 5 days a week. Earlier this semester, a very close friend of mine passed of a drug overdose which really took many of us by surprise. I would not say I'm depressed because of this but it definitely made things extremely stressful in addition to poor time management. As a result, I did not prepare myself as well as I should have for the first exam of this course and received a pretty poor grade (58% + 4% in bonus points). I would say this course is difficult but not difficult enough to where I wouldn't be sure I can pull off at least a C- til the end of the semester.

However, I've already fallen pretty far behind in the course material as well as having O-Chem and other courses to worry about. The next test is after the drop deadline (3 days after) so I decided to take the W so that I can perform well in my other courses without having this huge elephant in the back of mind. This is my first W and my only W I plan to have. My thinking is that a higher GPA my first semester here is more worth that the stress and doubt I might have if I decide to keep the course; therefore, I decided to drop the course and be safe despite actually having a W on my transcript...

Did I make the right choice?

Members don't see this ad.

Go take two of these stat:

upload_2015-10-27_14-27-14.jpeg

Even an F isn't going to kill you if the rest of your transcript is golden.

Hello,

This is my first post here. I am a second year pre med student.

In short, I know having a W on your transcript is pretty bad in itself. However, I believe I can justify it without making any excuses.

I am a recent transfer student in a pretty decent pre-med program university. I took 15 credits this year with the course in question being a 3-credit intro to neuro elective class that is not mandatory for my bio sci major. Currently I am working part time 4 to 5 days a week. Earlier this semester, a very close friend of mine passed of a drug overdose which really took many of us by surprise. I would not say I'm depressed because of this but it definitely made things extremely stressful in addition to poor time management. As a result, I did not prepare myself as well as I should have for the first exam of this course and received a pretty poor grade (58% + 4% in bonus points). I would say this course is difficult but not difficult enough to where I wouldn't be sure I can pull off at least a C- til the end of the semester.

However, I've already fallen pretty far behind in the course material as well as having O-Chem and other courses to worry about. The next test is after the drop deadline (3 days after) so I decided to take the W so that I can perform well in my other courses without having this huge elephant in the back of mind. This is my first W and my only W I plan to have. My thinking is that a higher GPA my first semester here is more worth that the stress and doubt I might have if I decide to keep the course; therefore, I decided to drop the course and be safe despite actually having a W on my transcript...

Did I make the right choice?

Reactions: 1 user
Go take two of these stat:

View attachment 197376

Even an F isn't going to kill you if the rest of your transcript is golden.

Thanks for the suggesting :) However, I am trying to stay away from alprazolam and any other benzos for the matter. I wouldn't say I have an addictive personality but I know a guy back home who sold his son's car for a script. Crazy stuff.

Members don't see this ad :)
Go see your school's counseling center STAT!

Thanks for your concern really. I'm actually pretty decent with grief and coping with that however there has always been a HUGE stress placed onto me by my parents (asian first generation family) and it really exacerbated that stress. I just want to know if this isn't a career ender :p

Thanks for your concern really. I'm actually pretty decent with grief and coping with that however there has always been a HUGE stress placed onto me by my parents (asian first generation family) and it really exacerbated that stress. I just want to know if this isn't a career ender :p
Sometimes it's tough to pick up humor over the internet.

@Goro was just telling you that you don't have to worry about that one W in a funny way.

Reactions: 1 user