Having huge problems answering one of my secondary questions. Please help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mcatasu

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

One of my secondaries is asking me to describe a non-academic failure and the corresponding learning experience.

Honestly, most of my failures are either academic or could be attributed to poor character attributes. For instance, being self-centered during teenage years. I don't believe I should be talking about character flaws, because in most cases people don't believe personality traits can be changed. Also, how could I even proof that I did?

What advice can you offer? Did some of you answer a similar question?

Members don't see this ad.

You have never had a failure in any other venture that you have engaged in that was non-academic? Anything you tried to make happen, that didn't work out? A failure can be a single, discrete event. I advise you to think harder about this.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
If you're incapable of introspection, and self-awareness, you'll never, ever be a doctor.
I didn't say I'm incapable of introspection! I was just hesitating to talk about character flaws that I've overcome.

So you note your flaw during formative years and do not want to discuss it as you believe it cant be changed.

if you truly believe that, then do you fear becoming a self-centered physician? Is that what a doctor should be? or are you so self centered that you cant admit that perhaps you shouldnt be a doctor?

that is a ridiculous argument on my part as is your fear of a common teen trait that you seem quite aware of and perhaps have overcome as you mature. Stop fighting the obvious, sincere, and heartfelt subject that will likely impact adcoms more that any mundane failure that you struggle to discuss

Thank you for your feedback! I received the advice of not talking about character flaws from others, but as you mentioned, being sincere should be my priority!

I didn't say I'm incapable of introspection! I was just hesitating to talk about character flaws that I've overcome.

If you can show change and growth, you shouldn't be afraid of the question. This is a great opportunity to show maturity, introspection, respect for others. You can even weave it into a narrative about being an empathetic physician who will work with a patient to overcome resistance to treatment.

Hey guys,

One of my secondaries is asking me to describe a non-academic failure and the corresponding learning experience.

Honestly, most of my failures are either academic or could be attributed to poor character attributes. For instance, being self-centered during teenage years. I don't believe I should be talking about character flaws, because in most cases people don't believe personality traits can be changed. Also, how could I even proof that I did?

What advice can you offer? Did some of you answer a similar question?

There has to be some instance in which you've failed. Experiment in lab gone wrong? (forgot or made mistakes on a step and had to troubleshoot) Difficult/failed interaction with a patient or someone you were volunteering with? Maybe a disagreement or fall-out between you and some peers or advisers within an organization setting?

When I had this question on secondaries, I talked about dealing with a very argumentative/aggressive patient who ended up storming out of the clinic. (fyi, this is a common MMI question as well)

Contrary to the advice others may have here, I would stay away from talking negatively about yourself as a person. I know it is important to have self-awareness and show maturity, but you don't need to add to any doubt in you and your character as an applicant.

Reactions: 1 user