HBO Movie: Something the Lord Made

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hi There

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
http://www.hbo.com/films/stlm/

Just a heads up on this HBO film premiering tomorrow (May 30, 9 PM Eastern time). Looks like an awesome story.

Members don't see this ad.

And if you like to read......"Partners of the Heart" by the man himself, Vivian Thomas. It is a pretty remarkable story, written in a fairly unremarkable way (lots of detailed anatomical descriptions of the experiments that are interesting, but really obfuscate the seriousness and profundity of what this guy was accomplishing). A good read, though, especially for those interested in the history of surgery (particularly at Hopkins), and those interested in surgery in general.
We'll see how well HBO does at tempering the film industry's natural tendency to sensationalize.

I thought the movie was great. Good drama + good medicine = touching story. I think HBO did a really good job of showing how closely thest 2 ppl came to depend on one another. If one didnt have the answer, the other did. If you have HBO, I definitely recommend you check it out the next time they run the movie. :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
Anybody see it?

:thumbup:

I watched it yesterday, and found it extremely moving...it was great to see Vivien Thomas finally get the credit due to him (at the conclusion of the movie)

Yes, I also watched this movie last night and was very impressed...I even got a bit choked up at the end! Wasn't the surgeon the Metatron from Dogma? Also, kudos to Mos Def on a great performance. Imagine getting an honorary doctorate from Hopkins without even going to undergrad.....great movie :thumbup:

I wanted to watch the movie, but I was too hooked on watching the Degrassi marathon on the Noggin channel. :)

It was a great movie. Reminds me of a lot of the people that gave their life to medicine and research, but never were given much credit during their lifetime; i.e. Rosalyn Franklin

Giving My .02 said:
It was a great movie. Reminds me of a lot of the people that gave their life to medicine and research, but never were given much credit during their lifetime; i.e. Rosalyn Franklin

actually, thomas got a doctorate and his portrait hung on the walls at hopkins. kinda hard to say he "never got much credit." especially compared to franklin who got nothing at all during her lifetime.

as for the movie, it was kinda formulaic, don't you all think? i mean, it wasn't a terrible watch, but i probably could've hypothesized the entire plot w/o ever having scene it or heard of VT b4.

Mr. Rosewater said:
actually, thomas got a doctorate and his portrait hung on the walls at hopkins. kinda hard to say he "never got much credit." especially compared to franklin who got nothing at all during her lifetime.

as for the movie, it was kinda formulaic, don't you all think? i mean, it wasn't a terrible watch, but i probably could've hypothesized the entire plot w/o ever having scene it or heard of VT b4.

I am sorry that I have to disagree. He did get credit, but not until he was old. Rosalyn Franklin probably would have received credit also, if she had lived longer, and into a time that allowed women to receive more credit, but her research caused her to develop cancer which prevented this from happening. There were probably a lot people (not only minorities or women) that made leaps in medicine, but never got the credit because they weren't in the spot light. I have to agree that the movie was formulaic, but I don't know how they could change the screenplay since it was based on a true story. Most true stories seem to be that way.

Giving My .02 said:
I am sorry that I have to disagree. He did get credit, but not until he was old. Rosalyn Franklin probably would have received credit also, if she had lived longer, and into a time that allowed women to receive more credit, but her research caused her to develop cancer which prevented this from happening.

that's the whole point. he eventually DID get the credit while he was still alive. RF never got a real lick of reckognition while she was living. i'm not saying it was good that it took him a long time to be reckognized, but it's certainly better than getting it posthumously (sp). it would've been a COMPLETELY different story if it had ended w/o him getting anything till he was dead.

I just watched it today, and thought it was an awesome movie. Even though I knew the surgery was going to be a success, when they saved that baby I cried. It was a very inspiring movie although it saddens me that Vivien was never able to finish college.