Health Psychology Reading

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thelittleowl

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Everyone!

I am planning to apply to Clinical Health PhD programs this fall and need to get my hands on some additional reading materials that do not include textbooks. Can anyone recommend any books and/or articles that I can read over the summer?

Members don't see this ad.

Hello Everyone!

I am planning to apply to Clinical Health PhD programs this fall and need to get my hands on some additional reading materials that do not include textbooks. Can anyone recommend any books and/or articles that I can read over the summer?

Could you be a little more specific. Do you want recommended readings to help you prep to apply? Are you looking for a area in health psyc you can take interest in, or are you just wanting read for fun?

If you want to stay up to date with what's currently being published, you should try getting your hands on health psych/public health journals. Getting your hands on recent publications can give you a good idea of what's currently being looked at in addition to potential professors of interest for when you apply.

American Journal of Public Health
Health Psychology
Journal of Health Psychology
American Journal of Preventive Medicine

If you're interested in substance abuse issues/addictions:
Addiction
Nicotine and Tobacco Research
Addictive Behaviors
Tobacco Control
Psychology of Addictive Behaviors

I read most of the substance abuse ones since we have subscriptions for them at work. If I totally missed your question, I'm sure others on here will be able to help you.

Could you be a little more specific. Do you want recommended readings to help you prep to apply? Are you looking for a area in health psyc you can take interest in, or are you just wanting read for fun?

If you want to stay up to date with what's currently being published, you should try getting your hands on health psych/public health journals. Getting your hands on recent publications can give you a good idea of what's currently being looked at in addition to potential professors of interest for when you apply.

American Journal of Public Health
Health Psychology
Journal of Health Psychology
American Journal of Preventive Medicine

If you're interested in substance abuse issues/addictions:
Addiction
Nicotine and Tobacco Research
Addictive Behaviors
Tobacco Control
Psychology of Addictive Behaviors

I read most of the substance abuse ones since we have subscriptions for them at work. If I totally missed your question, I'm sure others on here will be able to help you.

Thank you! I'm mostly just interested in some things to read just for fun, some general health psychology reading. I just want to read as much as I can to make sure I know as much as I can about the field of clinical health psychology. I have already started looking at schools and have made a pretty comprehensive list. I was going to start reading some faculty research this summer as well. I had not considered the American Journal of Preventative Medicine, I will definitely find some stuff to read from there!

I know the application process will be stressful and I want to be as prepared as possible. I have never taken a health psychology course, but my major research and clinical interests revolve around health psychology. My research interests revolve around chronic pain and cancer and my master's thesis regards the development of medical fears.

Since I have never taken a course specific to health psychology, maybe I should just read a health psychology textbook?? Any textbook suggestions? I know I said in my first post that I didn't want to read a textbook, I am open to suggestions.

Members don't see this ad :)
have you been on the APA division 38 website? i'd suggest poking around there for a bit to get some ideas, as heath psych is such a broad topic.

I guess a general health psychology textbook would be a good place to start. I'd just check on amazon. I'm really confused why you specified that you didn't want a textbook in your first post...I think the reason you aren't getting much of a response is that you aren't going to find articles that cover a field as broad as "Health psychology". Undergrad textbooks are really the only thing you will find that covers such a broad topic. A novel-type book may be interesting, but probably isn't going to help you get a feel for what health psychology is like. Its a little like coming in and asking for an article or book on psychopathology...its just way too broad.

For your specific area, I'm not really sure, but I'd do a literature search in the area for meta-analyses and review articles. Reading those should get you started and lead you to learn who the key figures in the field are and help you build a reading list.

I guess a general health psychology textbook would be a good place to start. I'd just check on amazon. I'm really confused why you specified that you didn't want a textbook in your first post...I think the reason you aren't getting much of a response is that you aren't going to find articles that cover a field as broad as "Health psychology". Undergrad textbooks are really the only thing you will find that covers such a broad topic. A novel-type book may be interesting, but probably isn't going to help you get a feel for what health psychology is like. Its a little like coming in and asking for an article or book on psychopathology...its just way too broad.

For your specific area, I'm not really sure, but I'd do a literature search in the area for meta-analyses and review articles. Reading those should get you started and lead you to learn who the key figures in the field are and help you build a reading list.

Thank you for your response. I am new to SDN and did not mean to be confusing. I simply wanted to know what others have read and found interesting. I just thought I would tap into resources that I have not already explored. I will be more thoughtful before asking a question next time.