Help a brotha out plz!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

busupshot83

S.D.N. Vet
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I haven't posted in a long time... I was busy studying for the LSAT; got that that this weekend. But I don't think I want to go to law school. I have been back and forth about what I want to do, but it always ends up coming back to dentistry.

My problem: science isn't my strongest subject.

My plan: Just finish up my B.A. (im in my third year), then focus on taking the required sciences while working or interning for a dentist. This way, I can focus my studies on the sciences and try to get the best grade I can.

DOes this sound like a smart plan? THoughts please.

bus.

Members don't see this ad.

Out of curiosity, how did you do on the LSAT? Did your LSAT scores have anything to do with your decision to pursue dentistry?

I took the LSAT during the October session in 2001, and was intent on going to law school, but became very disillusioned with the field after speaking to my wife's cousin who was currently an L2.

My practice LSAT scores came in around 150, not impressive; but that was not the reason I am having doubts about law school. LIke you, after talking to my cousins (I have more than one in law school at the moment), have become disillusioned about walking down that path.

As for my plan on the sciences, what do you think?

Members don't see this ad :)
Which prerequisites have you fulfilled so far?

I would try to do some in your fourth year.. Waiting until after you get your BA to do all your prereqs can be hard-- Loaded down full-time with nothing but science courses in a postbac program..

LOL. Actually, I'll be starting from scratch. I don't plan to go fulltime while I take my prerequistes, beacuse I'll probably be working fulltime; hopefully at a dental office doing anything:

Spring 2005
Chem I
Physics I

Summer 2005
Chem II
Physics II

FAll 2005
Organic Chem I
Bio I

Spring 2006
Organic Chem II
Bio II

Also, I heard from some people in these forums that you can take these classes at a community college. I know that some schools will not except them, but so far, most of the schools I've enquired about told me it's fine.

Any further thoughts?

Bus.

Well, if you do take care of some of those during your senior year, you can shave a year off your timetable. Personally I don't think it's worth it to delay your application for a year just because of a couple of courses unless you are dangerously overloaded while in college, but that's just me. :D

Besides, isn't senior year supposed to be light (assuming you are doing 18-hour semesters during the first three years of college)? You can use the extra time to do some of those prereqs if you don't feel burned out.

Anyway, good luck whatever you choose!

Turnpike,

I don't expect you to have an answer to the following, but hey, what the heck:

Do you know some schools which will probably not look "down" at CC science classes?

As for the the 2 year dental office experience... will it really help that much? If so, :clap: . Thanks for the help, I have some Emerson to read, pce.

bus.

Um...I personally believe CCs are perfectly fine if you do well on your DAT. the only reason they look down on them is because they feel that you did not acquire the wanted knowledge from particular courses. But if you study hard at a CC you can keep your GPA up, but realize you need to focus on the DAT and nail it bc a poor DAT will show that you found an easy school

Originally posted by croco
Um...I personally believe CCs are perfectly fine if you do well on your DAT. the only reason they look down on them is because they feel that you did not acquire the wanted knowledge from particular courses. But if you study hard at a CC you can keep your GPA up, but realize you need to focus on the DAT and nail it bc a poor DAT will show that you found an easy school

This is true. The adcoms I talked to said CC's are fine, but the DAT will validate your grades. So, if you get 4.0 in classes and pull 17's, that is questionable.

All things being equal I would attend a solid 4-year university rather than a CC. If the CC is closer/cheaper etc, you have to weigh it out, but I think it does come at a price, albeit a small one in some cases

"the Dat reveals all"

That's a classic quote

I'll comment on the community college aspect: I know that Arizona has a point system they use, in order to determine which applicants get INTERVIEWS.

Part of that includes comparing your GPA against the GPAs of other students, which partly involves recognizing the academic reputation (for lack of better word) of your undergrad.

Therefore, Harvard, Michigan, Yale, etc. are considered to be top schools. In translation, this means that a 3.5 from those top schools is actually worth more in the point system than a 3.7 from a lower school (or even a 4.0).

Now, in regards to community colleges, many (if not most) of them don't even get a ranking, which I think makes it virtually impossible to get an interview.

The way I see it, this doesn't pose a major problem unless ALL of your courses are from a lesser-known college. If a couple pre-reqs or other classes are, then I wouldn't worry a whole lot.

And, FYI, Arizona got this point system from some other schools, so we aren't the only ones to utilize it.

Hey Gavin,

Thanks for the "heads-up." What do you think about my plan on completing all my sciences AFTER I finish my English B.A. in 2 years. I talked to Asclepius (a med student) on SDN Chat and he said that's what he did and he found that it was easier to concentrate on sciences when he didn't have to worry about other work. Plus, he said that remembering the sciences for the entrance examination (the MCAT in his case) was much easier because he actually had time to LEARN the material instead of just crammin' for an exam. Your thoughts please... anyone?

Gavin,

That's pretty unfortunate that schools have this kind of system. I am sure that there are some community colleges that are horrible and that the majority of the students come out of there with only a slightly higher IQ than when they started there. Some, however, are great. I can say that the community colleges in AZ, maricopa county, are some of the most respected in the nation. I did my first 2 years there and I can honestly say that my education there was much, much better than what I am getting at Arizona State University, which by the way is supposed to be one of the best in the western states. Does this mean that I won't be considered as much as someone who spent all 4 years at a University? Sucks if thats the case. I'm sure when they get a case like me they will have to see my DAT scores to assess whether or not my community college experience was legit. What do you think?

Nic

If you split your time between a CC and a university, I don't think it will make a ton of difference.

Remember, that's just one way for them to normalize GPAs.

DAT scores don't lie, regardless of the institution you came from.

As gavin said intelligently, the underlying factor that shows how much knowledge you stored during your classes whether it be at a 4 yr university or 2 yr CC is your DAT score.

But isn't it much cheaper to take the sciences prereqs at a CC rather than a University? I know that after I finish up my degree, I think I may only beable to afford a CC to finish the prereqs. :p

I've taken science classes at both a CC and a 4-year university, and in my experience there's no difference in the curriculum. Why would there be? As far as I know the bones still have the same name and location at a 4-year as they do at a CC. It's all about the professor. Rarely will you find a teacher with a PhD at the CC level. Most of them only have master's degrees. I think that might be the reason it's seen as being inferior.

D-Money (that's your new nickname... atleast to me!),

That's what I'm saying boi! I don't plan on applying to the so-called cream of the crop schools; I don't care where I go.