Help! Are my E.C. total crap?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

joejacob

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I like your TA and research experiences, although the clinical "research" is probably more apt to be considered a job/volunteer experience if you're not going to be analyzing the data. I would honestly leave the pre-med and biochemistry clubs off your primary app if you're not actively involved.

With that said, what seems to be weak is your community involvement ("1 semester volunteering" I'm assuming to be hospital volunteering?). You should really find opportunities to join service clubs, like tutoring underprivileged students or fundraising for a good cause. These are the kinds of experiences that can convince admissions committees that you have the compassion necessary to be a good physician.

Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Also, I tutored an international student but it was off the books. Can I put that on my resume?
And also I really appreciate your help. It was volunteering in the hospital. I technically volunteered for two semesters but for one semester I barely went (like 15 hours in total) and I did nothing there except clean stuff (radiology material)

Members don't see this ad :)
solid ECs and great numbers. shouldn't have too much trouble!

Hey everyone, I just wanted to know if I will have a chance at getting into a medical school in the northeast (Temple, SUNY Downstate, SUNY Stony Brook...)
By the time I apply I should have this as my stats:
GPA 3.84
MCAT-32
Extracurricular:
-2 Semesters of Research (9 hrs/week)
-1 Semester TAing for an introductory biology course (2 credits)
-1 Semester volunteering (3-5hrs/week)
-2 Semesters of clinical "research" where I consent patients for the study, centrifuging blood, and transporting tissue patients (3hrs/week)
-20 Hours shadowing a pulmonogist
-Pre-medical club member
-Biochemistry club member

I was wondering if you could give me some advice on how to get more meaningful extracurricular and any other possible schools I should apply to.
One semester of clinical experience volunteering at the hospital is pretty weak, but fortunately for you, your clinical research with active involvement with patients could also be considered "clinical experience" if you describe it right. List it under Research, but be sure to have the title you give the activity evoke patient experience.

50 hours is about the average listed for shadowing, so keep working on that. Ideally, you'll also shadow a primary care doc which will give you an edge with a lot of typical interview questions. You could get this all done over winter break if you like. No need to accumulate weekly hours with a shadowing activity if you need to get it done faster.

A peer leadership role would be nice to see.

You are sadly missing nonmedical community service. Find an organization whose aims you care about and give them your time, now and through the application season.

You should really find opportunities to join service clubs, like tutoring underprivileged students or fundraising for a good cause. These are the kinds of experiences that can convince admissions committees that you have the compassion necessary to be a good physician.
A fund-raising gig would be considered second to hands-on assistance if you want to get the most positive impact on adcomms from the time you put in.

You need more patient contact experience and more non-clinical volunteering. You must demonstrate your altruism and humanism.

Hey everyone, I just wanted to know if I will have a chance at getting into a medical school in the northeast (Temple, SUNY Downstate, SUNY Stony Brook...)
By the time I apply I should have this as my stats:
GPA 3.84
MCAT-32
Extracurricular:
-2 Semesters of Research (9 hrs/week)
-1 Semester TAing for an introductory biology course (2 credits)
-1 Semester volunteering (3-5hrs/week)
-2 Semesters of clinical "research" where I consent patients for the study, centrifuging blood, and transporting tissue patients (3hrs/week)
-20 Hours shadowing a pulmonogist
-Pre-medical club member
-Biochemistry club member

I was wondering if you could give me some advice on how to get more meaningful extracurricular and any other possible schools I should apply to.
Thank you all!