Help deciding Masters Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Simas

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello and thank you in advance for help in this matter.
My background so far is:
I'm turning 27 next month, female
MCAT 22 (currently studying to retake)
Undergraduate (UCF last 2 years 3.77 but overall 3.2 )
The issues i'm having here is that the first year I didn't care for school and screwed up. I ended up retaking most of the classes I failed (because I didn't show up) and got my GPA up to a 3.2-3.3. When I apply to MD schools, they count all classes even if you retook them so my GPA plummets to 2.9. I ended up turning my life around and got a 3.77 at the University ( I got an associates first).

Extra:
I have shadowed over 300 hours with DO, MD's
I have volunteered at 2 hospitals for about 200 hours total
I have travelled to India for a health care organization for a month to volunteer my time.

I applied last cycle but I applied on the last day before the deadline... so my chances were not so great.
I want to re-apply this cycle but am not sure when. I'd like to do it for early decision since I think that would help my chances but that would be before I get any grades for the masters program and before my new MCAT score.

My dilemma is that I applied last min to some masters programs when I got denial letters rolling in from medical school and ended up getting one response. (Now I have 2 responses). I moved from California to Florida (my parents live here) and am attending a masters program at Larkin Health Sciences Institute.

Larkin Health Sciences Institute:
Pros:
Very small classes and one on one attention ( I thrive in smaller environments, and don't learn well in large stadium seating classes)
The curriculum and teachers are pretty great and caring, I feel as though I am learning a great deal here.
Of course it is near my family and we are really close.

CONS:
It is only in pre-accreditation status
The administration doesn't seem that well organized
I haven't even received my reimbursement check and i've been in school for over a month
Miami ... well sucks to live in on my income
I feel uncomfortable that it's not the most legitimant thing going on in my life right now

A school in new jersey I just heard back from accepted me
ROWAN Graduate school of Biomedical Sciences

Pros:
Part of a larger school
ON the same campus as their DO school ( and you can take some classes at the DO school)
The professors teach in the DO school also and some sit on the admissions board
Its a quiet city, lots of housing opportunities
It is overall better for my resume

Cons:
Probably ( have not clarified yet) have large classes and less one on one interaction
Move far away from family and have to be on my own
Have to start in August and drop out of my current program (lose some money for this semester)

Any feed back would be helpful, any criticisms.

Thank you
Sonya

Members don't see this ad.

Hello
Hello and thank you in advance for help in this matter.
My background so far is:
I'm turning 27 next month, female
MCAT 22 (currently studying to retake)
Undergraduate (UCF last 2 years 3.77 but overall 3.2 )
The issues i'm having here is that the first year I didn't care for school and screwed up. I ended up retaking most of the classes I failed (because I didn't show up) and got my GPA up to a 3.2-3.3. When I apply to MD schools, they count all classes even if you retook them so my GPA plummets to 2.9. I ended up turning my life around and got a 3.77 at the University ( I got an associates first).

Extra:
I have shadowed over 300 hours with DO, MD's
I have volunteered at 2 hospitals for about 200 hours total
I have travelled to India for a health care organization for a month to volunteer my time.

I applied last cycle but I applied on the last day before the deadline... so my chances were not so great.
I want to re-apply this cycle but am not sure when. I'd like to do it for early decision since I think that would help my chances but that would be before I get any grades for the masters program and before my new MCAT score.

My dilemma is that I applied last min to some masters programs when I got denial letters rolling in from medical school and ended up getting one response. (Now I have 2 responses). I moved from California to Florida (my parents live here) and am attending a masters program at Larkin Health Sciences Institute.

Larkin Health Sciences Institute:
Pros:
Very small classes and one on one attention ( I thrive in smaller environments, and don't learn well in large stadium seating classes)
The curriculum and teachers are pretty great and caring, I feel as though I am learning a great deal here.
Of course it is near my family and we are really close.

CONS:
It is only in pre-accreditation status
The administration doesn't seem that well organized
I haven't even received my reimbursement check and i've been in school for over a month
Miami ... well sucks to live in on my income
I feel uncomfortable that it's not the most legitimant thing going on in my life right now

A school in new jersey I just heard back from accepted me
ROWAN Graduate school of Biomedical Sciences

Pros:
Part of a larger school
ON the same campus as their DO school ( and you can take some classes at the DO school)
The professors teach in the DO school also and some sit on the admissions board
Its a quiet city, lots of housing opportunities
It is overall better for my resume

Cons:
Probably ( have not clarified yet) have large classes and less one on one interaction
Move far away from family and have to be on my own
Have to start in August and drop out of my current program (lose some money for this semester)

Any feed back would be helpful, any criticisms.

Thank you
Sonya

Hello

I just came across your post and wanted to know what did you decide to do. I recently found out about the program at Larkin Institute and wanted know if you cold give me some information about the program. Were the classes difficult and do you think it would help with getting to professional school.