help me choose a medical college

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

duck2005

5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
4 SCHOOLS I'M CONSIDERING
1- emory
2- duke
3- johns hopkins
4- mt sinai

Members don't see this ad.

You should make a poll :)

I'd pick Duke. Although if you are realllllly interested in public health, then go with Hopkins. Hopkins has an awesome public health school :love: so you can take a year off and get an MPH.

duck2005 said:
1- emory
2- duke
3- johns hopkins
4- mt sinai

Certainly Duke or Hopkins. I did my master's at the Johns Hopkins School of Public Health (yes, I'm biased!), and I'll say that Tinkerbell's point is certainly valid. I met lots of medical students who were taking a year to work on their MPH (and relax a little, too). Plus, the hospital has been ranked #1 in the country for the last decade. Baltimore isn't my favorite city, but I enjoyed life while I was there and loved my graduate program. If I had the option, I would go back to Hopkins in an instant. :love:

Members don't see this ad :)
AmateurChef said:
If I had the option, I would go back to Hopkins in an instant. :love:

yeah, me too.... our public health school is awesome :love:

Duke: by reducing your preclinical time to 1 year, you minimize all the bs. you get an early start on your clinical training -- meaning you can decide on a specialty early -- and the research year will be a huge advantage.

Hopkins is also a good choice, but in your situation, it would be my #2.

You shouldn't even consider Emory or Mt. Sinai unless you need to be in those locations (spouse, etc)

good luck.

I'd pick Hopkins based on the WOW factor. :)

The others aint bad either

duck2005 said:
1- emory
2- duke
3- johns hopkins
4- mt sinai

First, narrow the consideration down to JH and Duke, unless you have family or financial reasons which point to one of the others. Those are simply the better two schools. Of those remaining two, both are excellent schools. JH has more prestige, a better "rank" and presumably bigger name types on the faculty you could research for and get LORs from, so the credential will probably carry you further. Then again, you can't go wrong with Duke, and Duke has the nicer campus and probably a more palatable location (not as big a city, lots of nearby golfing, better weather, etc). It probably depends on the vibe you got when you checked the schools out -- which one do you think you'd enjoy spending the next four years at. Honestly, it would be really hard to not go to JH if accepted, though.

duck2005 said:
1- emory
2- duke
3- johns hopkins
4- mt sinai

nothing to consider

johns hopkins is the best medical school in the nation (the other 3 aren't even top ten)

and no this isn't based on US news

every1blowz said:
Hopkins is the only school I'd even consider attending over a Harvard acceptance. No, not really, I'd pick Harvard any day, but still, Hopkins is badass. Duke is good, too.

yeah, who would ever pass on Harvard?

You'd have to be insane.

OSUdoc08 said:
nothing to consider

johns hopkins is the best medical school in the nation (the other 3 aren't even top ten)

and no this isn't based on US news

haha.

I hate these threads and the thinly veiled brag-fest that ensues. If you make any life-altering decision based on the opinions of people who don't personally know you - especially those over the internet...I feel sorry for you.

even after reading the last post i am still inclined to agree with sitra.

How valuable can the superficial info posted on a web forum be? Clearly there are far better sources to obtain personally meaningful information: current students, admissions staff and website, your friends who live in baltimore, NY, atl, etc.

And what's with the poll? Be a big kid, weigh the pros and cons that are important to YOU (not me or the anyone else), and open up the slots for other people who are anxiously waiting.

tinkerbelle said:
You should make a poll :)

I'd pick Duke. Although if you are realllllly interested in public health, then go with Hopkins. Hopkins has an awesome public health school :love: so you can take a year off and get an MPH.

It doesn't sound like the original poster is interested in an MPH, but in response to some of the above posts I'd like to point out that about 5-10 Duke students end up at UNC Chapel Hill's excellent school of public health each year, and don't have to take an extra year of school (or tuition!) in order to get their MPH! Sounds like a better deal to me!

OSUdoc08 said:
nothing to consider

Uhh...on what grounds??? I agree that the US News rankings are flawed, but why would you say Duke isn't even in the top ten??? Based on a multitude of factors, including its reputation among residency program directors, its curriculum, its admissions selectivity, avg Step 1 scores (236!), avg MCAT scores (36), avg GPA (>3.8), unbelievable match lists year after year, etc. etc., I don't see how Duke could NOT be in the top ten. Just because people don't like the South (or rather THINK they wouldn't like it, and thus aren't willing to try it) and think Durham sucks doesn't mean Duke isn't one of the best med schools in the country.

I'd love to hear your top 10 list, and your methodology. Please enlighten us!