Help me decide between SMPs: NYMC AMP and Georgetown SMP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

himikie

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I was wondering if anyone can help me decide between SMPs.

I recently got accepted to both Georgetown 1-year SMP and NYMC 1-year accelerated SMP, and was wondering if anyone has any insights to these programs.

I will be applying to medical schools this upcoming cycle, and just really want to do a program that will help me matriculate to medical school in 2023.

I was initially leaning towards NYMC because on their website it says that they have ~85% success rate getting people into medical schools, but Ive heard their classes are notoriously hard and it is often difficult to meet the 3.4 gpa minimum. I'm also wondering how supportive their advising/faculty is. I've heard that they are making changes to their curriculum this year and that it probably won't be finalized until mid-May. I got an initial feeling that they are a bit disorganized.

Georgetown does feel more organized as far as how their classes are structured, and support from faculty. But they have much strict cut-off for granting interview from GUSoM, and said that only around 40 people get interviewed out of their ~180 students in the program. Also, not sure how to feel about Georgetown's big class size compared to NYMC's ~25 students class size.

Can anyone share their input?

Thank you so much in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'm a Georgetown "regular" MS in physiology alum, and while it's not quite the same program, I can provide you with some input to help you make a more informed decision.

I found the regular program to be tough but worthwhile. The program prepared me very well for my MCAT retake: I went from ~74th percentile to 99th. Many of the faculty between the "regular" program and the SMP overlap, and I thought they were great professors. As you suspected, the program was indeed very organized and the faculty were friendly and seemed like they cared about my success. Overall I have no doubt that the program helped make my application better and helped me develop better study habits.

As for your stats: we were told by the program director that to have a competitive application for GUSOM we needed an MCAT of 510+ and a GPA of 3.6+ in the program. I far exceeded both of those metrics but did not receive an interview. I have, however received an MD acceptance elsewhere. I would say that if you do go to Georgetown, don't have the expectation that you will get into their medical school, or even interview. But that being said, if you succeed in the program you will have a much better shot at getting accepted to many other schools.

Also DC is a great, albeit expensive, place to live. I really enjoyed my time there.

I personally would pick the Georgetown SMP over NYMC, but the ultimate truth is that where you go is less important than how well you do, so pick the place you feel you would excel the most in.

If you or anyone else have any questions feel free to message me.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm a Georgetown "regular" MS in physiology alum, and while it's not quite the same program, I can provide you with some input to help you make a more informed decision.

I found the regular program to be tough but worthwhile. The program prepared me very well for my MCAT retake: I went from ~74th percentile to 99th. Many of the faculty between the "regular" program and the SMP overlap, and I thought they were great professors. As you suspected, the program was indeed very organized and the faculty were friendly and seemed like they cared about my success. Overall I have no doubt that the program helped make my application better and helped me develop better study habits.

As for your stats: we were told by the program director that to have a competitive application for GUSOM we needed an MCAT of 510+ and a GPA of 3.6+ in the program. I far exceeded both of those metrics but did not receive an interview. I have, however received an MD acceptance elsewhere. I would say that if you do go to Georgetown, don't have the expectation that you will get into their medical school, or even interview. But that being said, if you succeed in the program you will have a much better shot at getting accepted to many other schools.

Also DC is a great, albeit expensive, place to live. I really enjoyed my time there.

I personally would pick the Georgetown SMP over NYMC, but the ultimate truth is that where you go is less important than how well you do, so pick the place you feel you would excel the most in.

If you or anyone else have any questions feel free to message me.
Hey! Thank you so much for your detailed reply!

I have a few questions: I was wondering if you applied while you were enrolled in the program or waited until you graduated.

Also, I know some people said that Georgetown’s physio classes are super hard. I’m not expecting any of the SMPs to be easy and will try my best to do well, but just want to be sure that they are doable. Why do you think some people do poorly and others do well? What helped you to excel? Do you have any tips/suggestions on how I should be studying during the program?

Thank you again!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey! Thank you so much for your detailed reply!

I have a few questions: I was wondering if you applied while you were enrolled in the program or waited until you graduated.

Also, I know some people said that Georgetown’s physio classes are super hard. I’m not expecting any of the SMPs to be easy and will try my best to do well, but just want to be sure that they are doable. Why do you think some people do poorly and others do well? What helped you to excel? Do you have any tips/suggestions on how I should be studying during the program?

Thank you again!
I did apply while enrolled. I still had my lower MCAT score and received a couple interviews but was waitlisted and not accepted. Looking back it didn't make sense to apply, as my app wasn't that different from undergrad, and I should have just waited to apply after the program. The case probably is different for the Georgetown SMP, as you will be able to send in more significant grade updates after each bock.

Our physiology and pathophysiology classes were difficult due to the amount of information you'll need to remember but completely doable. If you keep up with the material every day you'll be fine. As for why some people do poorly, I'd say its because they don't keep up every day and end up cramming, but your guess is as good as mine.

My advice to you is to be open to switching up the way you study. What worked in undergrad may not work in your SMP so be ready to try new methods. Time management and active studying were something I struggled with going into the program, but Georgetown was pretty good about helping us develop more efficient study methods and time management via a one credit course that all SMP and "regular" MS students must take. Also don't be afraid to reach out to your professors if you start to feel yourself getting behind.

• Love
Reactions: 1 user
Hi everyone, I was wondering if anyone can help me decide between SMPs.

I recently got accepted to both Georgetown 1-year SMP and NYMC 1-year accelerated SMP, and was wondering if anyone has any insights to these programs.

I will be applying to medical schools this upcoming cycle, and just really want to do a program that will help me matriculate to medical school in 2023.

My stats are: 3.2 gpa with 511 MCAT.

I was initially leaning towards NYMC because on their website it says that they have ~85% success rate getting people into medical schools, but Ive heard their classes are notoriously hard and it is often difficult to meet the 3.4 gpa minimum. I'm also wondering how supportive their advising/faculty is. I've heard that they are making changes to their curriculum this year and that it probably won't be finalized until mid-May. I got an initial feeling that they are a bit disorganized.

Georgetown does feel more organized as far as how their classes are structured, and support from faculty. But they have much strict cut-off for granting interview from GUSoM, and said that only around 40 people get interviewed out of their ~180 students in the program. Also, not sure how to feel about Georgetown's big class size compared to NYMC's ~25 students class size.

Can anyone share their input? Also, did anyone who completed this program with similar stats as mine have successes? Also debating if my MCAT is ok enough to be accepted into NYMC SOM or Georgetown SOM if I were to receive an interview after the completion of block I in the SMP.

Thank you so much in advance!
Hey @himikie,
I am currently on the same boat as you, trying to decide which program to commit to. Did you end up committing to New York or Georgetown?

Hey @himikie,
I am currently on the same boat as you, trying to decide which program to commit to. Did you end up committing to New York or Georgetown?
Hey! I decided to commit to NYMC AMP. Since I had such low uGPA, I thought for my particular case, NYMC’s strong linkage (~85% go straight to their medical school) would help much more than Gtown.

I honestly like Georgetown better as a school, but I have come to the conclusion that if I attend Gtown’s smp, I might have to take another gap year after completing their program since they do not have an official linkage. For me, I already took a few gap years and really want to avoid taking another gap year. Despite my preference for Georgetown as a school, my end goal is medical school, and I thought NYMC’s program will help me achieve that goal much better (for my case at least due to low gpa).

There is another mini-factor that my family lives in NYC, so although I plan on living on campus at NYMC, I will be pretty close to my family.

But if I had a higher gpa (~3.4), and/or if this was my first gap year, I think I wouldve chosen Georgetown! You should also reach out to the directors if you need help deciding. I reached out to both the directors with specific questions, and I felt like NYMC’s director gave me much more individualized advice which also factored in to my decision. Hope this helps!

Hey! I decided to commit to NYMC AMP. Since I had such low uGPA, I thought for my particular case, NYMC’s strong linkage (~85% go straight to their medical school) would help much more than Gtown.

I honestly like Georgetown better as a school, but I have come to the conclusion that if I attend Gtown’s smp, I might have to take another gap year after completing their program since they do not have an official linkage. For me, I already took a few gap years and really want to avoid taking another gap year. Despite my preference for Georgetown as a school, my end goal is medical school, and I thought NYMC’s program will help me achieve that goal much better (for my case at least due to low gpa).

There is another mini-factor that my family lives in NYC, so although I plan on living on campus at NYMC, I will be pretty close to my family.

But if I had a higher gpa (~3.4), and/or if this was my first gap year, I think I wouldve chosen Georgetown! You should also reach out to the directors if you need help deciding. I reached out to both the directors with specific questions, and I felt like NYMC’s director gave me much more individualized advice which also factored in to my decision. Hope this helps!
Thank you for the response. At this moment I have two weeks to put a deposit down for NYMC and only until 4/15/22 to make a decision for Georgetown. I have scheduled a meeting with the directors, as you suggested, to go more in depth regarding my stats and what route they think is best, but at the moment it does look like I am leaning towards NYMC due to the strong linkage.

What are your stats? I was in a similar situation until I got some good advice.

What are your stats? I was in a similar situation until I got some good advice.
Hello @mistcorp , I am not sure if you are referring to me or @himikie but I could always use some more advise. Currently, my stats are: cGPA 3.55 , sGPA 3.61, MCAT 508. I have many hours of experience in a clinical setting but I have been working hard to get non-clinical hours at a homeless shelter for the past few months and have been doing more volunteering work at a hospital to gain more clinical volunteer experience, and have taken a full time position at a research lab to increase my research experience.

Please don’t waste your time /$ in SMP. The only area you can improve is MCAT. If they guarantee MD/DO matriculation then it’s a different story. You are good to go for DO for sure and a few MD programs. If you are planning to apply in the upcoming cycle how will it impact your SMP program? Some of them are intense and require your full attention to maintain your GPA.

Hello @mistcorp , I am not sure if you are referring to me or @himikie but I could always use some more advise. Currently, my stats are: cGPA 3.55 , sGPA 3.61, MCAT 508. I have many hours of experience in a clinical setting but I have been working hard to get non-clinical hours at a homeless shelter for the past few months and have been doing more volunteering work at a hospital to gain more clinical volunteer experience, and have taken a full time position at a research lab to increase my research experience.

In all honesty, the highest GPA you should have when considering an SMP is a 3.2. Anything over that, an SMP is completely unnecessary, just taking on unnecessary risk, wasting money and wasting your time. The only exception to this is if you are going to a program that offers a conditional acceptance for matriculation, which neither of these programs do.

SMPs are meant as a last resort to improve a low GPA from past poor performance in undergrad. They are considered high risk high reward for this reason, so if you screw up, even with a good GPA from undergrad, you likely will never be able to recover from. "Screw up" meaning mostly B's. But B's are fine in medical school since they are pass fail most of the time. I have seen people with solid stats in undergrad go and do an SMP and perform not so stellar. Now they are begging even the lower tier DO schools to take them.

That being said your stats are competitive for the majority of MD schools and pretty much any DO school you want. Just look at MSAR, and you will likely fall close or above the average at most MD schools. I have seen people accepted to MD schools with far worse stats than you (without an SMP/grad school). So, please just apply to medical school and save yourself the time/money/risk.

Have you looked at Brown University's MMS? I got into all of the big SMP programs and ended up choosing Brown. I had similar stats to you and I was able to get into an MD school because of Brown.

P.S. i got many interviews.

Have you looked at Brown University's MMS? I got into all of the big SMP programs and ended up choosing Brown. I had similar stats to you and I was able to get into an MD school because of Brown.

P.S. i got many interviews.
Hey not sure if you were referring to @Pons612 or me, but I also applied to Brown’s MMS, and am waiting to hear back.

What made you choose Brown’s program over the other SMPs? Did you apply while enrolled in the SMP or waited to apply until you finished the SMP? In what ways do you think Brown’s program is better/just as good as other SMPs? Thanks so much!

Members don't see this ad :)
Does it have any guarantees? The issue i have is I will have conflicts with interview scheduling when the SMP classes are going on. Intense SMP programs require 100% of your attention. I don't want another slide year. Would you mind sharing your stats ? (MCAT/GPA)

I just had an interview for one SMP school (one of the top programs -Master's degree) and one of the interviewers (Had a full-blown interview with 5 interviewers) told me to rethink if I really need to go through this program and that I am better off saving $ and time and go directly to med school.

I just had an interview for one SMP school (one of the top programs -Master's degree) and one of the interviewers (Had a full-blown interview with 5 interviewers) told me to rethink if I really need to go through this program and that I am better off saving $ and time and go directly to med school.
I have had similar talks with my pre health advisor and one of my letter writers about the SMP not being ideal given my current situation, experience and stats. I have also gotten the same advise from people on SDN not to do the SMP. I am very much leaning on not doing either SMP at this moment and just taking the rest of this year to continue with my research, and obtain more volunteering hours in a non-clinical and clinical setting and apply for this upcoming 2022-2023 cycle. However, I have already put my deposit down for both programs so at least have that as an option if I decide to peruse either program. Do you mind if I ask what you are leaning towards, either doing the SMP or just applying this upcoming cycle?

This is the 3rd interview where the interviewer made it clear that I am ready to go to med school without intermediate stops.
Initially, I was excited about joining one of the Postbaac programs and then going through the interview process. But my stats are decent enough to land in some MD programs. From a scholarly perspective, I would have loved to go to NYMC or George Town/Tulane programs to expand my knowledge base and then join the med school. But if I get into a guaranteed MD pathway program i might definitely take it.

You have a good GPA and decent MCAT score. You should stay away.

Have you considered Bluefield University’s Master of Arts in Biomedical Sciences Program? All you need is GPA of 3.4 to get into DO program

Hey not sure if you were referring to @Pons612 or me, but I also applied to Brown’s MMS, and am waiting to hear back.

What made you choose Brown’s program over the other SMPs? Did you apply while enrolled in the SMP or waited to apply until you finished the SMP? In what ways do you think Brown’s program is better/just as good as other SMPs? Thanks so much!
Hey sorry for the delay! My stats were very similar to yours. So I actually know the Georgetown SMP very well, and it is a great program. However, I really wanted to choose a program with a smaller class size that takes classes with medical students. Also, the outcomes from the Brown program were very impressive. They haven't updated their website but last year's graduating class had a 98% interview rate (don't quote me on this). IMPORTANTLY, the advising was amazing!! You get about 4 advisers working by your side to make sure you get into medical school. They gave some people over 9 mock interviews and sometimes even called the medical school to put in a good word. Yes, it does not give you a guaranteed linkage into brown but it will get you into a medical school. The last reason is that brown is an IVY league school, thus, just having that name attached to your resume opens a lot of doors.

I will say that it is an enormous financial obligation. Pick this program if you want to boost your credentials and want to get into A medical school. A bunch of my classmates chose this program even with good credentials to get into top-tier medical schools.

For applying before or after - The dean of the program can sit with you and tell you what to do before you commit to the program. I would highly encourage you to set up a zoom call with them. You can let them know you were referred from SDN.

Last edited:
Does it have any guarantees? The issue i have is I will have conflicts with interview scheduling when the SMP classes are going on. Intense SMP programs require 100% of your attention. I don't want another slide year. Would you mind sharing your stats ? (MCAT/GPA)
Historically, several people got into brown through this program but there are no guarantees. You can absolutely schedule interviews during the year. Yes, it is a difficult curriculum, hence you will be taking medical school classes alongside med students. However, the faculty and advisors are extremely accommodating. Several people interviewed for medical school during the program, and the advisors helped them every step of the way.

Last edited:
Hey sorry for the delay! My stats were very similar to yours. So I actually know the Georgetown SMP very well, and it is a great program. However, I really wanted to choose a program with a smaller class size that takes classes with medical students. Also, the outcomes from the Brown program were very impressive. They haven't updated their website but last year's graduating class had a 98% interview rate (don't quote me on this). IMPORTANTLY, the advising was amazing!! You get about 4 advisers working by your side to make sure you get into medical school. They gave some people over 9 mock interviews and sometimes even called the medical school to put in a good word. Yes, it does not give you a guaranteed linkage into brown but it will get you into a medical school. The last reason is that brown is an IVY league school, thus, just having that name attached to your resume opens a lot of doors.

I will say that it is an enormous financial obligation. Pick this program if you want to boost your credentials and want to get into A medical school. A bunch of my classmates chose this program even with good credentials to get into top-tier medical schools.

For applying before or after - The dean of the program can sit with you and tell you what to do before you commit to the program. I would highly encourage you to set up a zoom call with them. You can let them know you were referred from SDN.
Hi Thank you so much for your reply!

So I applied in early March and have not yet heard back at all. I'm wondering if this is indicating a rejection from the program... When did you apply and when did you hear back if you dont mind sharing?

Also, since you said that you had similar stats as me: did you apply to medical schools while enrolled in the program or did you wait to apply after the program ended?

I think if I do get accepted to this program, I will need to make a decision between Brown and NYMC. NYMC's class size is also very small (around 25 students) and I really cannot decide which program would be better for me. I really want to attend Brown if I get in but at the same time, I feel like I cannot get into any MD school without some kind of agreement from SMPs because of my low uGPA...

Do you think if I attend Gateways program at Brown, I would have a chance at Alpert Medical School? Since there is no official agreement, I felt like the students who get accepted into Brown medical school after completing the program get accepted because they are already a target student that the medical school would accept even without completing the SMP. I am curious to know your thought in this! Thank you so much in advance!!

Hi Thank you so much for your reply!

So I applied in early March and have not yet heard back at all. I'm wondering if this is indicating a rejection from the program... When did you apply and when did you hear back if you dont mind sharing?

Also, since you said that you had similar stats as me: did you apply to medical schools while enrolled in the program or did you wait to apply after the program ended?

I think if I do get accepted to this program, I will need to make a decision between Brown and NYMC. NYMC's class size is also very small (around 25 students) and I really cannot decide which program would be better for me. I really want to attend Brown if I get in but at the same time, I feel like I cannot get into any MD school without some kind of agreement from SMPs because of my low uGPA...

Do you think if I attend Gateways program at Brown, I would have a chance at Alpert Medical School? Since there is no official agreement, I felt like the students who get accepted into Brown medical school after completing the program get accepted because they are already a target student that the medical school would accept even without completing the SMP. I am curious to know your thought in this! Thank you so much in advance!!
Hey! They are still reviewing applications, and they are super behind. I would strongly suggest you schedule a zoom call with the Brown MMS admissions If you are truly interested in the program! They can help answer any questions you have and also give you an idea if you should apply before or after the program. They also have an Instagram page where they post all their success stories.

I can DM you personally regarding my stats and my application!

It is so funny you say that because I was deciding between Georgetown SMP, new york NYMC, and Brown MMS. I was more focused on not putting all my eggs in one basket. What if I didn't get into NYMC after the interview? How do other schools interpret the master's degree? In the end, the NYMC program is GREAT too. Several people I talked to got into NYMC after their program, and the faculty seem to be nice. However, I was worried about the odd chance I didn't get into NYMC even after the interview (acceptance is not guaranteed). That's why I chose Brown's program because they do have a higher success rate of getting students into "A" medical school. It's just uncertain were, and if it will either before or after the program.

If you want to, you can DM me your stats and we can talk about what I think!

You're absolutely reasonable with your opinion on getting into Alpert Medical School. Although, I do think Georgetown also looks for their "ideal" candidate even after the completion of the SMP. NYMC seems to be the best option for having the strongest linkage, with Georgetown and Brown having the best reputation for "outside" medical schools. In the end, do I think you can get into the "home" school at each of the programs? Yes, I do, but some schools might be easier (NYMC due to the linkage) than others.

• Love
Hey! They are still reviewing applications, and they are super behind. I would strongly suggest you schedule a zoom call with the Brown MMS admissions If you are truly interested in the program! They can help answer any questions you have and also give you an idea if you should apply before or after the program. They also have an Instagram page where they post all their success stories.

I can DM you personally regarding my stats and my application!

It is so funny you say that because I was deciding between Georgetown SMP, new york NYMC, and Brown MMS. I was more focused on not putting all my eggs in one basket. What if I didn't get into NYMC after the interview? How do other schools interpret the master's degree? In the end, the NYMC program is GREAT too. Several people I talked to got into NYMC after their program, and the faculty seem to be nice. However, I was worried about the odd chance I didn't get into NYMC even after the interview (acceptance is not guaranteed). That's why I chose Brown's program because they do have a higher success rate of getting students into "A" medical school. It's just uncertain were, and if it will either before or after the program.

If you want to, you can DM me your stats and we can talk about what I think!

You're absolutely reasonable with your opinion on getting into Alpert Medical School. Although, I do think Georgetown also looks for their "ideal" candidate even after the completion of the SMP. NYMC seems to be the best option for having the strongest linkage, with Georgetown and Brown having the best reputation for "outside" medical schools. In the end, do I think you can get into the "home" school at each of the programs? Yes, I do, but some schools might be easier (NYMC due to the linkage) than others.
Hey @AnotherPre-med !! I just interviewed with Brown this week! Do you mind if I PM you with some specific questions? Now Im leaning more towards Brown’s program if I get accepted and would really appreciate your insight!

I did Georgetown, and while I was accepted to GUSOM, the chance of getting in is very low in comparison to NYMC from what you have stated. 85% is incredible. That's basically a conditional acceptance as long as you don't goof. I would definitely talk to people who did the NYMC program and see what they have to say. From my end at Georgetown SMP, I knew far too many people who had 3.9+ in the program who were rejected to GUSOM or waitlisted.

Hey @AnotherPre-med !! I just interviewed with Brown this week! Do you mind if I PM you with some specific questions? Now Im leaning more towards Brown’s program if I get accepted and would really appreciate your insight!
Hey! Congrats on the interview, please send me a direct message!