"Help Me Rank" IM 2023

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
give me validation that I'm right (clearly want to be in the Southeast, USMD, GI fellowship)

1. Emory
2. Mayo Jax
3. UNC
4. MUSC
5. USF
6. VCU
7. Temple
8. Hofstra
9. Brown
10. Vermont
1/2: Emory/UNC
3-10: Whatever man, you do you. But Miracle Whip ain't real Mayo.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
100% fellowship match rate dont lie tho. and cush schedule with favorable patient population
100% match rate isn’t as impressive as you think it is. It looks like many of the matches were at Mayo Jax, that’s not impressive either. If you liked it though, go for it.

give me validation that I'm right (clearly want to be in the Southeast, USMD, GI fellowship)

1. Emory
2. Mayo Jax
3. UNC
4. MUSC
5. USF
6. VCU
7. Temple
8. Hofstra
9. Brown
10. Vermont
southern Location is priority i see bc Brown should be right under Emory/UNC. For simply matching GI regardless of location i would do
1. Emory/UNC
2. Brown
3. Temple
4.-9. All relatively equal in my opinion
10. Mayo Jax is the worst on your list but most desirable location for your regional preference along with USF so this is up to you

Members don't see this ad :)
Need help for a rank order of the NYC IM programs

Interviewed:
  • Columbia
  • Cornell
  • NYU
  • Mt Sinai
So far I think I have NYU at the bottom, just got a weird vibe but honestly not sure how to place it.

Between the other 3 just felt limited in making my decisions, the vibes may have been slightly ahead at Sinai.

Thoughts and why?

Interested in Crit Care if that matters.

Need help for a rank order of the NYC IM programs

Interviewed:
  • Columbia
  • Cornell
  • NYU
  • Mt Sinai
So far I think I have NYU at the bottom, just got a weird vibe but honestly not sure how to place it.

Between the other 3 just felt limited in making my decisions, the vibes may have been slightly ahead at Sinai.

Thoughts and why?

Interested in Crit Care if that matters.
They’re all close enough, esp for interest in crit care. You’ll do great at any of these. I think Columbia has the best reputation but is the worst location. Nyu probably is the least “prestigious” of the 4 but has a pretty great location (esp if you’re more of a “downtown” type. Cornell slightly better location than Sinai but it’s fairly modest given both are on UES. I would go based on vibes and you’ll do great either way

• Love
Keep switching between the top three depending on the day/hour. Want to end up in the Rocky Mountain region (close to home) and probably go for Heme/Onc fellowship, or I may get tired of training and dip into adulthood in three years.

1. University of Utah
2. Mayo Arizona
3. Dallas Methodist (fairly significant other stuck in the area for three years)
4. Brown
5. Georgetown
6. UW Boise

I know Mayo Arizona isn't the same as Rochester, but will it be enough to get me into fellowship if I end up there?

Thank you!

Keep switching between the top three depending on the day/hour. Want to end up in the Rocky Mountain region (close to home) and probably go for Heme/Onc fellowship, or I may get tired of training and dip into adulthood in three years.

1. University of Utah
2. Mayo Arizona
3. Dallas Methodist (fairly significant other stuck in the area for three years)
4. Brown
5. Georgetown
6. UW Boise

I know Mayo Arizona isn't the same as Rochester, but will it be enough to get me into fellowship if I end up there?

Thank you!
1. Utah
2. Brown
3. Georgetown
the rest.

ps-Mayo AZ is nowhere near Rochester level good but the Heme onc matches are not too bad for the program (UVA Dartmouth Mayo-R UCI Tulane)

Reactions: 1 user

1. University of Utah
2. Mayo Arizona
4. Brown
5. Georgetown
6. UW Boise

Thank you!
Utah
Brown/GT
Miracle Whip West
Methodist
UW-Boise

That said, Miracle Whip West has a very strong oncology program and some great faculty so punches above it's weight in that category.

Hey everyone. I need some help with my top 7 programs. I'm a visa-requiring IMG who was lucky enough to get a decent amount of interviews and I keep changing the top portion of my ROL everyday, unsure on how to proceed so I thought I'd ask for help here.

My #1 priority is quality of training. I do have a slight preference on being within driving distance to Toronto but it's not a major concern. Also I apologize if this sounds superficial, but I'd also like any input on prestige/name recognition for future (undecided) fellowships.

My list as of right now:

1. UB (Buffalo)
2. SUNY Upstate
3. SLU
4. SUNY Downstate
5. UB Sisters of Charity
6. RGH (Rochester General Hospital)
7. OU (OKC)

I know this isn't the typical list posted here but any help is appreciated. Thank you!

Hey everyone. I need some help with my top 7 programs. I'm a visa-requiring IMG who was lucky enough to get a decent amount of interviews and I keep changing the top portion of my ROL everyday, unsure on how to proceed so I thought I'd ask for help here.

My #1 priority is quality of training. I do have a slight preference on being within driving distance to Toronto but it's not a major concern. Also I apologize if this sounds superficial, but I'd also like any input on prestige/name recognition for future (undecided) fellowships.

My list as of right now:

1. UB (Buffalo)
2. SUNY Upstate
3. SLU
4. SUNY Downstate
5. UB Sisters of Charity
6. RGH (Rochester General Hospital)
7. OU (OKC)

I know this isn't the typical list posted here but any help is appreciated. Thank you!
UB is fine as #1. Upstate, SLU and OU should be the next 3 in some order, then whatever.

Hello! I'm having a hard time with my #3-6 and could use an outside perspective -- I know that top programs are competitive in general so I'm trying to be mindful of my entire list, knowing that it's possible to slip down farther than expected. My main considerations are quality of life, cost of living, and cardiology match (most interested in gen cards or imaging).

3. Michigan (+: close to family, union, institutional culture, low COL; -: bad schedule, cards match seems underwhelming in relation to IM and cardiology reputation)
4. Beth Israel (+: close to family, institutional culture, cards match; -: high COL)
5. Yale (+: close to family, low COL; -: 6+2 schedule)
6. Mayo (I loved everything about Mayo except the fact that it's in Rochester)

Thanks in advance :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello! I'm having a hard time with my #3-6 and could use an outside perspective -- I know that top programs are competitive in general so I'm trying to be mindful of my entire list, knowing that it's possible to slip down farther than expected. My main considerations are quality of life, cost of living, and cardiology match (most interested in gen cards or imaging).

3. Michigan (+: close to family, union, institutional culture, low COL; -: bad schedule, cards match seems underwhelming in relation to IM and cardiology reputation)
4. Beth Israel (+: close to family, institutional culture, cards match; -: high COL)

Me personally, I would leave as is but thats just me. BIDMC does have a pretty nice cards match list but then again, your mind can change during your residency so thats why I don't necessarily advocate focusing as much on the match list for a fellowship per se. You know that any of those programs will not close any doors as far as fellowship potential. The housestaff at my institution change their minds every few weeks or so as far as fellowship specialty.

Last edited:
Interested in cardiology fellowship and having difficulty ordering these programs on ROL for prestige and fellowship opportunity. VCU, Kentucky, USF, Mississippi.

1-2 UCLA, UCSF (leaning LA)

Need help after 1-2. Goal is h/o fellowship, research, ?location
(Next group) UPenn, Columbia, University of Washington, USC, OHSU, UCSD, Icahn Mt Sinai,
(The rest) Scripps Green, UC Davis, Utah, Colorado, Harbor UCLA, Oliveview UCLA

I've never understood how UM gets a bad rep for its cards matches? I recall from my interview there, it had been something like a decade without someone failing to match cards there. The regional element of their matches being due to many residents being from MI and OH which reflected their fellowship ranks. Not to mention their internal program being amongst the best. I would leave that order as is. I didn't care for Mayo Mn and depending on what the rest of your list looks like, I would have moved it even lower.

1-2 UCLA, UCSF (leaning LA)

Need help after 1-2. Goal is h/o fellowship, research, ?location
(Next group) UPenn, Columbia, University of Washington, USC, OHSU, UCSD, Icahn Mt Sinai,
(The rest) Scripps Green, UC Davis, Utah, Colorado, Harbor UCLA, Oliveview UCLA
Research and fellowship placement should not really be an issue with the academic programs on your list. Just kinda depends on where you want to end up for residency and beyond which I'm assuming is southern California

UPenn, UW, UCSD, USC, Columbia, Mt Sinai, Colorado, Utah, OHSU, UC Davis, Harbor-UCLA, Oliveview-UCLA, Scripps

Really having a hard time with my top 5, they keep shuffling because i keep focusing on all the positive aspects of each program (lol). Most important values to me are QoL/schedule (of the overall residency experience, not just intern year), culture/collegiality, quality of training, and MedEd opportunities. Wanting to pursue GIM/medEd but if I end up specializing it will likely be in heme onc. Location is not a dealbreaker for me (if other values are met) but obviously I would enjoy living in a place like Chicago more than Rochester lol.

Mayo MN, Yale, Stanford, Northwestern, Vanderbilt, Michigan

Thanks so much, everyone!

If your only concern is the cards match at Michigan, I would say keep MI #3! People are likely choosing to stay there; I can imagine they have opportunities to train elsewhere but the midwest is an ideal place to "settle down"/raise a family; plus, many MI residents come from midwestern med schools

Really having a hard time with my top 5, they keep shuffling because i keep focusing on all the positive aspects of each program (lol). Most important values to me are QoL/schedule (of the overall residency experience, not just intern year), culture/collegiality, quality of training, and MedEd opportunities. Wanting to pursue GIM/medEd but if I end up specializing it will likely be in heme onc. Location is not a dealbreaker for me (if other values are met) but obviously I would enjoy living in a place like Chicago more than Rochester lol.

I mean, you can't really go wrong here.

Michigan
Stanford
Vanderbilt
NW
Yale
Mayo

Choose based on location and culture/qol. they are all top notch (T20). If it were me i would choose Vandy based on location and culture (although intern year at Vandy is notoriously very very tough PGY2 and 3 is significantly more chill). When i interviewed at Vandy i got incredible vibes from them very kind supportive culture and also Nashville is pretty awesome and a very hip cool growing city rn. I also liked Yale when i interviewed there but there schedule is kinda tough since they still do 24s however overall i thought Yale culture was pretty solid but New Haven sucks haha. Mayo for me is too cold and minnesota is not my cup of tea. Northwestern heard great things about (pretty good qol and culture as well as good location just outside chicago). Michigan i know nothing about their program but i wouldnt want to live in Ann Arbor and Stanford although Palo Alto seems cool I know nothing about their program

UNC v.s. UPMC main for #1 on ROL

Criteria:
Potential for Cards fellowships
City life - I've heard Chapel Hill be described as a college town that is otherwise quiet, not exactly fond of that description. Pittsburgh seems so cramped.
Race/Healthcare inequality issues - UNC had a slide in their interview day that addressed their history and while that was very progressive, the fact they felt they had to do that.....the resident panel I was assigned to was a group of white, petite, sorority girl types which was a very disheartening look into their diversity. Their pgy-1 class has <10 people of color in a 40+ program. Meanwhile UPMC has the "InHospitable" documentary that came out last September that has some damning (albiet one-sided) allegations.

Choose based on location and culture/qol. they are all top notch (T20). If it were me i would choose Vandy based on location and culture (although intern year at Vandy is notoriously very very tough PGY2 and 3 is significantly more chill). When i interviewed at Vandy i got incredible vibes from them very kind supportive culture and also Nashville is pretty awesome and a very hip cool growing city rn. I also liked Yale when i interviewed there but there schedule is kinda tough since they still do 24s however overall i thought Yale culture was pretty solid but New Haven sucks haha. Mayo for me is too cold and minnesota is not my cup of tea. Northwestern heard great things about (pretty good qol and culture as well as good location just outside chicago). Michigan i know nothing about their program but i wouldnt want to live in Ann Arbor and Stanford although Palo Alto seems cool I know nothing about their program
Thanks so much for your thoughts, I really appreciate it!:) also fyi yale just got rid of all 24s 🤗

• Love
Leaning Hemonc. Ranking Criteria are: Location, QoL, and fellowship. Please let me know critiques/thoughts.

1. Georgetown
2. Baylor
3. USF
4. GW
5. Mayo Fl
6. Hopkins Bayview
7. UMD
8. Cedars Sinai
9. UAB
10. Wake Forest
11. VCU
12. UF
Since you want HemeOnc:

1. USF (Moffitt is top notch for HO)
2. Baylor
3. UAB

For Hemeonc USF is the best. Overall Baylor and UAB are the best IM programs on your list. The rest are essentially the same tier and will give you relatively equal opportunity fellowship wise. Cedars and GW are okay programs. Mayo FL is the worst program on your list

Since you want HemeOnc:

1. USF (Moffitt is top notch for HO)
2. Baylor
3. UAB

For Hemeonc USF is the best. Overall Baylor and UAB are the best IM programs on your list. The rest are essentially the same tier and will give you relatively equal opportunity fellowship wise. Cedars and GW are okay programs. Mayo FL is the worst program on your list
Thanks for the feedback. Would USF be the best in regards to their home fellowship program, or for Hemonc match prospects in general? I know that Gtown has Lombardi as well so was unsure.

Michigan
Stanford
Vanderbilt
NW
Yale
Mayo
Why Mayo so low? Am thinking it fits my values better than some of the others (esp in regards to schedule). Am i missing something? Disclaimer is that im okay with rochester if everything else makes up for it😂

Leaning Hemonc. Ranking Criteria are: Location, QoL, and fellowship. Please let me know critiques/thoughts.

1. Georgetown
2. Baylor
3. USF
4. GW
5. Mayo Fl
6. Hopkins Bayview
7. UMD
8. Cedars Sinai
9. UAB
10. Wake Forest
11. VCU
12. UF
UAB should be in your top 2. USF has local cred and good Hem/Onc opportunities but I'd look at it more as a fellow than a resident. TBH, those are 12 of the most "even" programs I think I've ever seen on a rank list so you won't hurt yourself or your future opportunities no matter how you rank them (Miracle Whip SE being the only real exception).

Why Mayo so low? Am thinking it fits my values better than some of the others (esp in regards to schedule). Am i missing something? Disclaimer is that im okay with rochester if everything else makes up for it😂
And this is why it's your list, not mine, @obiwan's or anyone elses.

Also, you listed 6 somewhat randomly geographically distributed Top X (where X is a number between 20 and 40) programs so it's not like there's a whole lot of daylight between them in terms of training and career opportunities. They are functionally interchangeable as far as putting one of their names on your future CV, so geography, culture (as you saw it) and other intangibles are going to have to be the deciding factors, and only you can determine how those things mesh up with your wants and desires.

And this is why it's your list, not mine, @obiwan's or anyone elses.

Also, you listed 6 somewhat randomly geographically distributed Top X (where X is a number between 20 and 40) programs so it's not like there's a whole lot of daylight between them in terms of training and career opportunities. They are functionally interchangeable as far as putting one of their names on your future CV, so geography, culture (as you saw it) and other intangibles are going to have to be the deciding factors, and only you can determine how those things mesh up with your wants and desires.
No thats rly helpful, sorry to be annoying! Just wanted to make sure i wasnt missing some major red flag like it being secretly malignant or having poor quality of training. I appreciate your insight! Thanks for the patience

Hi all, goal is hospitalist, but would be nice to have general fellowship options. Tentative ROL below, emphasis on location (family in NJ and NY area, 1 hour from NYC) and training quality. Please lmk what you think/recommendations!

1. Staten Island
2. Greenwich Hospital
3. Westchester Medical Center
4. Abington Memorial Hospital
5. Morristown Medical Center
6. St Lukes Hospital (Bethlehem, PA)
7. Mount Sinai Morningside/West
8. Mather Hospital
9. Danbury Hospital
10. Lenox Hill
11. Forest Hills
12. Geisinger (Danville)

No thats rly helpful, sorry to be annoying! Just wanted to make sure i wasnt missing some major red flag like it being secretly malignant or having poor quality of training. I appreciate your insight! Thanks for the patience
No need to apologize, the anxiety and neuroticism are real this time of year. I was just trying to point out that you're in an enviable position of having a lot of great programs to rank and you can really only do so on soft factors that will matter differently to you than they will to anybody else. It's not a "problem" you're probably used to having (assuming you didn't have to choose between full rides to HMS, Stanford, NW, Duke and Columbia for med school) so it's a new feeling.

• Care
Thanks for the feedback. Would USF be the best in regards to their home fellowship program, or for Hemonc match prospects in general? I know that Gtown has Lombardi as well so was unsure.
USF matches in house for HO on top of having impressive HO matchs at strong programs across the country. I would imagine its the mentorship/research opportunities they get from the department at Moffitt. USF in and of itself is just avg tier wise for IM but i think if you want to match HO it gives you a lot of opportunities. Also like I said UAB and Baylor are your best programs overall so i think you have a solid shot matching well in HO coming from any of the three of those. And like gutonc and I pointed out in our original post pretty much all of your other programs are essentially dead on equal tier wise. If you want to play this smart i would reach out to USF residents applying hemeonc and ask them about how available research opportunities are and what mentorship is like ie how reachable/engaged/responsive HO faculty are there for research projects etc. If it were me i would put UAB Baylor and USF in your top three

Last edited:

Sure Moffitt is a well known brand name in the heme/onc world but I count 5 other programs including Georgetown on your list that have NCI designated comprehensive cancer centers attached to them so you know that you will get ample clinical/research opportunities from any of those places if you happen train there. I would agree with @gutonc to rank a few other places higher than USF including UAB and BCM

As to the hem/onc question specifically
1. Georgetown - Lombardi (NCI-CCC)
2. Baylor - Duncan (NCI-CCC)
3. USF - Moffitt (NCI-CCC; NCCN)
4. GW - Neither
5. Mayo Fl - (NCI-CCC; NCCN)
6. Hopkins Bayview - Kimmel (NCI-CCC; NCCN) - and yes I'm aware that Bayview isn't main Hopkins, but the connections are there
7. UMD - Greenbaum (NCI-CCC)
8. Cedars Sinai - Neither
9. UAB - O'Neal (NCI-CCC; NCCN)
10. Wake Forest (NCI-CCC)
11. VCU - Massey (Neither)
12. UF - Shands (Neither)

Note that NCI-CCC and NCCN status have absolutely nothing to do with the care, training, research opportunities, etc that are available and have no impact on your future. The difference between an NCI Cancer Center and a Comprehensive Cancer Center is the availability of patient services like SW, palliative care, clinical genetics and comprehensive rehab services, not the kind of things you really care about as a trainee.

Hi all, goal is hospitalist, but would be nice to have general fellowship options. Tentative ROL below, emphasis on location (family in NJ and NY area, 1 hour from NYC) and training quality. Please lmk what you think/recommendations!

1. Staten Island
2. Greenwich Hospital
3. Westchester Medical Center
4. Abington Memorial Hospital
5. Morristown Medical Center
6. St Lukes Hospital (Bethlehem, PA)
7. Mount Sinai Morningside/West
8. Mather Hospital
9. Danbury Hospital
10. Lenox Hill
11. Forest Hills
12. Geisinger (Danville)
Sinai morningside and Lenox hill better than a fair amount on that list.

Wrestling with my list this morning and obviously the deadline is imminent. I figured I'd look for any outside input. Still deciding between cardiology/GI but leaning cardiology. I'm mostly struggling with my top 5/6, especially 1-3. Not going to give as much detail outside of top 6 but feel free to give input on it as well

1. Yale: +: Cards match seems really strong, got good vibes, phasing out 28h call, free lunch daily, sister lives in NYC so I'm least close to some people I know; -: 6+2, Heard the reputation exceeds actual training quality by a good bit (not sure how much though- would love to hear more on this)
2. Vanderbilt: +: 2+2+2, Seems to have solid cards match (lots of people stay but Vandy is good for cards afaik), great vibes, free lunch most days, used to live there so I have some ties; -: Still has 28h call, work schedule seems extremely intense (I've heard the new PD is making it better, but some residents still seem overworked)
3. UNC: +: 2+2+2, night-cation schedule PGY2/3 seems extremely generous, no 28h call, great vibes, free lunch daily; -: Cards match doesn't seem quite as strong as the 2 above (not bad though), little worried about residents being stretched across 3 cities and the logistics of hanging out.
4. Mayo: +: 4+4, really loved the benefits/schedule/pretty much everything there, no 28h call, great vibes, free lunch daily, was my clear #1 til I learned some of the cons; -: Rochester (this winter in Virginia was already bad enough at times and Rochester was like 50 degrees colder), less bread and butter, match is SUPER Mayo heavy because apparently the skills they teach don't translate as well out of Mayo
5. UVA: +: 3+1, no 24h call, free lunch most days, UVA was my undergrad and I liked Charlottesville; -: Reputation is definitely lower than above programs, fellowship match not as strong
6. Michigan: +: Call schedule seemed okay, good reputation for cardiology; -: Traditional schedules like they have are just bad imo, didn't vibe great there (but have it high still because of reputation/cards offsetting at), not sure how I feel about Ann Arbor

7. UAB
8. Georgetown
9. Florida
10. VCU
11. Miami
12. EVMS

Wrestling with my list this morning and obviously the deadline is imminent. I figured I'd look for any outside input. Still deciding between cardiology/GI but leaning cardiology. I'm mostly struggling with my top 5/6, especially 1-3. Not going to give as much detail outside of top 6 but feel free to give input on it as well

1. Yale: +: Cards match seems really strong, got good vibes, phasing out 28h call, free lunch daily, sister lives in NYC so I'm least close to some people I know; -: 6+2, Heard the reputation exceeds actual training quality by a good bit (not sure how much though- would love to hear more on this)
2. Vanderbilt: +: 2+2+2, Seems to have solid cards match (lots of people stay but Vandy is good for cards afaik), great vibes, free lunch most days, used to live there so I have some ties; -: Still has 28h call, work schedule seems extremely intense (I've heard the new PD is making it better, but some residents still seem overworked)
3. UNC: +: 2+2+2, night-cation schedule PGY2/3 seems extremely generous, no 28h call, great vibes, free lunch daily; -: Cards match doesn't seem quite as strong as the 2 above (not bad though), little worried about residents being stretched across 3 cities and the logistics of hanging out.
4. Mayo: +: 4+4, really loved the benefits/schedule/pretty much everything there, no 28h call, great vibes, free lunch daily, was my clear #1 til I learned some of the cons; -: Rochester (this winter in Virginia was already bad enough at times and Rochester was like 50 degrees colder), less bread and butter, match is SUPER Mayo heavy because apparently the skills they teach don't translate as well out of Mayo
5. UVA: +: 3+1, no 24h call, free lunch most days, UVA was my undergrad and I liked Charlottesville; -: Reputation is definitely lower than above programs, fellowship match not as strong
6. Michigan: +: Call schedule seemed okay, good reputation for cardiology; -: Traditional schedules like they have are just bad imo, didn't vibe great there (but have it high still because of reputation/cards offsetting at), not sure how I feel about Ann Arbor

7. UAB
8. Georgetown
9. Florida
10. VCU
11. Miami
12. EVMS
Hey! Also looking at mayo, vandy, and Yale! (And michigan but also lower on my list bc I got the same vibes lol). Anyway in regards to Yale, I truly think you would meet any goals you have by going there. They seem to rly balance “wellness” well with solid clinical training. Would u be more prepared for cards out of Vandy? Maybe, but honestly the schedule seems brutal to me and very risky when it comes to burnout/mental health concerns. I feel like comparing quality of training between some of those is splitting hairs because you will still be good ENOUGH coming from Yale (and mayo for that matter). If your goal is to do cardiology at MGH or something then maybe consider the “quality” of training a little more but otherwise I don’t think it will make any difference. You will likely have a shot at matching at various academic institutions coming from Yale or Mayo. Mayo’s match also concerns me and I have been worried for a while about the type of training I will receive there; however, I do think their fellowship match is heavily skewed because many people actively choose to stay. Mayo is a fellowship powerhouse, they have top fellowships in nearly all the sub specialties. Many people who choose Mayo for residency do so specifically to get their “foot in the door” so to speak because it’s where they want to be for fellowship. I dont think these people are matching at Mayo for lack of other opportunities. Mayo also draws a lot of Midwest people to the program hence those that match for fellowship outside of the institution tend to still stay in Midwest (Ohio state, minnesota, wisconsin etc).

7. UAB
8. Georgetown
9. Florida
10. VCU
11. Miami
12. EVMS
None of your top 7 (or frankly, any of the places on your list perhaps excepting EVMS) are going to be the rate limiting factor in your career success. So rank them how they felt for you and tell everyone else with an opinion on your list (including me) to pound sand.

Hey! Also looking at mayo, vandy, and Yale! (And michigan but also lower on my list bc I got the same vibes lol). Anyway in regards to Yale, I truly think you would meet any goals you have by going there. They seem to rly balance “wellness” well with solid clinical training. Would u be more prepared for cards out of Vandy? Maybe, but honestly the schedule seems brutal to me and very risky when it comes to burnout/mental health concerns. I feel like comparing quality of training between some of those is splitting hairs because you will still be good ENOUGH coming from Yale (and mayo for that matter). If your goal is to do cardiology at MGH or something then maybe consider the “quality” of training a little more but otherwise I don’t think it will make any difference. You will likely have a shot at matching at various academic institutions coming from Yale or Mayo. Mayo’s match also concerns me and I have been worried for a while about the type of training I will receive there; however, I do think their fellowship match is heavily skewed because many people actively choose to stay. Mayo is a fellowship powerhouse, they have top fellowships in nearly all the sub specialties. Many people who choose Mayo for residency do so specifically to get their “foot in the door” so to speak because it’s where they want to be for fellowship. I dont think these people are matching at Mayo for lack of other opportunities. Mayo also draws a lot of Midwest people to the program hence those that match for fellowship outside of the institution tend to still stay in Midwest (Ohio state, minnesota, wisconsin etc).

This is good to hear! Glad I'm not the only one who felt weird about Michigan lol. I definitely thought Yale had a great balance of wellness and prestige which is why I like it so much- I was just worried about a lot of people calling it overrated. Vandy like you said is so great but the brutal schedule (one resident at my session outright said it was "definitely one of the most work intensive IM residencies")... and then UNC I really REALLY liked and their schedule/wellness seems amazing, but the prestige/fellowship match, while good, is definitely not Vandy/Yale tier. That's what's really getting to me- having my 2 biggest priorities kind of at odds between those 2 programs.

I think you're probably right about Mayo, and it's definitely true their fellowships are extremely good. So their match isn't bad really, but I think the fact that I'm already concerned about freezing to death in Rochester over 3 years means staying at the best of the 3 Mayos for fellowship is kind of a bad choice for me. As for me talking about how sub specialized and unique they are education, I've read online they literally read echos backwards for no reason and many cardiologists call it the "mayo view," so I do imagine in some capacity they really emphasize their own unique skills/culture and that's part of why people stay too.

None of your top 7 (or frankly, any of the places on your list perhaps excepting EVMS) are going to be the rate limiting factor in your career success. So rank them how they felt for you and tell everyone else with an opinion on your list (including me) to pound sand.

Thanks for this :) I kind of felt that way too and I know I'll probably be okay doing what I want, but I do eventually have to pick and order and it feels like splitting hairs and pulling teeth at the same time. Was a bit hopeful other people would somehow have additional insight on the concerns I have, but at the end of the day I probably just have to make a firm decision about which I like more... which is just so tough right now with my values conflicting.

Thanks for this :) I kind of felt that way too and I know I'll probably be okay doing what I want, but I do eventually have to pick and order and it feels like splitting hairs and pulling teeth at the same time. Was a bit hopeful other people would somehow have additional insight on the concerns I have, but at the end of the day I probably just have to make a firm decision about which I like more... which is just so tough right now with my values conflicting.
Yes you do. And this is what us olds (since I'm going to guess I'm at least twice your age) call "being an adult". It's not always fun, but it has it's pluses for sure. You'll get used to it.

7. UAB
8. Georgetown
9. Florida
10. VCU
11. Miami
12. EVMS

If you liked Charlottesville you'll like Ann Arbor. Ann Arbor is a college town much like Charlottesville but a bit larger and with a worse winter. While I agree that the traditional schedule is not ideal, I think this is far outweighed by the fact that Michigan has few/no 28 hour calls. This may be personal preference, but personally I'd pick not having to do overnight call over X+Y scheduling any day of the week.

I'm just curious, what is their schedule like ?
4+2 but the weekends aren’t guaranteed on the 2s and also the 2s aren’t necessarily outpatient (sometimes ED or Neuro inpatient your first year for example). Residents say on inpatient they are there from 630am-7pm most everyday.

This is good to hear! Glad I'm not the only one who felt weird about Michigan lol. I definitely thought Yale had a great balance of wellness and prestige which is why I like it so much- I was just worried about a lot of people calling it overrated. Vandy like you said is so great but the brutal schedule (one resident at my session outright said it was "definitely one of the most work intensive IM residencies")... and then UNC I really REALLY liked and their schedule/wellness seems amazing, but the prestige/fellowship match, while good, is definitely not Vandy/Yale tier. That's what's really getting to me- having my 2 biggest priorities kind of at odds between those 2 programs.

I think you're probably right about Mayo, and it's definitely true their fellowships are extremely good. So their match isn't bad really, but I think the fact that I'm already concerned about freezing to death in Rochester over 3 years means staying at the best of the 3 Mayos for fellowship is kind of a bad choice for me. As for me talking about how sub specialized and unique they are education, I've read online they literally read echos backwards for no reason and many cardiologists call it the "mayo view," so I do imagine in some capacity they really emphasize their own unique skills/culture and that's part of why people stay too.

You took the words out of my mouth lol I feel the exact same way! And have the same concerns about Mayo which is why it keeps going back and forth w/ Yale for #1 (mayo is closer to home/better schedule is enticing to me). Honestly people calling yale “overrated” is not a concern for me lol the fellowship match to me is enough proof that’s not true but I do understand the hesitation!!!

Deciding this portion of my rank list- MGH, BIDMC, Penn, Columbia. A bit worried about the amount of 24 hr call at MGH. Interested in PCCM, may want to do academics in the future but not 100% certain.

Status
Not open for further replies.