"Help Me Rank" IM 2023

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Deciding this portion of my rank list- MGH, BIDMC, Penn, Columbia. A bit worried about the amount of 24 hr call at MGH. Interested in PCCM, may want to do academics in the future but not 100% certain.

For some reason doesn't seem like this is the top of your rank list and if thats the case, then congratulations on snagging these interviews. I would have no problem ranking MGH at the top despite the 24 hr call thing but again, I came from a time where 30 hour call days were the norm. I would do MGH/Penn/BIDMC/Columbia personally. You will find success at any of these places so just rank on where you vibed the most. I'm assuming this is not a troll post .....

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
As to the hem/onc question specifically
1. Georgetown - Lombardi (NCI-CCC)
2. Baylor - Duncan (NCI-CCC)
3. USF - Moffitt (NCI-CCC; NCCN)
4. GW - Neither
5. Mayo Fl - (NCI-CCC; NCCN)
6. Hopkins Bayview - Kimmel (NCI-CCC; NCCN) - and yes I'm aware that Bayview isn't main Hopkins, but the connections are there
7. UMD - Greenbaum (NCI-CCC)
8. Cedars Sinai - Neither
9. UAB - O'Neal (NCI-CCC; NCCN)
10. Wake Forest (NCI-CCC)
11. VCU - Massey (Neither)
12. UF - Shands (Neither)

Note that NCI-CCC and NCCN status have absolutely nothing to do with the care, training, research opportunities, etc that are available and have no impact on your future. The difference between an NCI Cancer Center and a Comprehensive Cancer Center is the availability of patient services like SW, palliative care, clinical genetics and comprehensive rehab services, not the kind of things you really care about as a trainee.
I know the DC/Baltimore programs well. Bayview residents do oncology rotations at JHH and have generally matched well for heme/onc. Georgetown and Maryland are in the same ballpark as each other for both residency and fellowship. GW has struggled to recruit and retain oncology faculty recently; I’d worry about adequate clinical exposure and research opportunities.

Hello, I’m interested in GI and my rank list is based on how likely I can get GI from the program. Would you change anything?

1. Michigan
2. Cleveland Clinic (a lot of people hate on this program but from what I’ve seen their fellowship match list is great and IMG’s along with USMD’s both place into amazing fellowships).
3. Case
4. Wisconsin
5. Indiana
6. Iowa
7. Dartmouth
8. UAB

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello, I’m interested in GI and my rank list is based on how likely I can get GI from the program. Would you change anything?

1. Michigan
2. Cleveland Clinic (a lot of people hate on this program but from what I’ve seen their fellowship match list is great and IMG’s along with USMD’s both place into amazing fellowships).
3. Case
4. Wisconsin
5. Indiana
6. Iowa
7. Dartmouth
8. UAB
I would maybe put Case at 2 and CCF at 3 but honestly both are fantastic programs. Someone else can correct me but I feel confident telling you that you can become a Gastroenterologist from any of those programs

Reactions: 1 user
Free advice: Whatever you do, do it today. Don't change anything tomorrow. Evrry year we have threads from people who 1) change something at the last minute and are then panicking and asking how they can change it back (which you can't), and 2) people who try to change their RoL at 11:45PM because there is plenty of time, de-certify their list, and then their internet crashes and they have no certified list. You really will be better off avoiding both of these situations.

1. Michigan
3. Case
4. Wisconsin
5. Indiana
6. Iowa
7. Dartmouth
8. UAB

This may just be hearsay, but regarding CCF IMG's matching into great fellowships, I've heard that a lot of them are research superstars to begin with, so their situation when applying to fellowship may not be analogous to that of a USMD. I think I would still agree with the above poster at putting them at 2 or 3 though.

I would maybe put Case at 2 and CCF at 3 but honestly both are fantastic programs. Someone else can correct me but I feel confident telling you that you can become a Gastroenterologist from any of those programs
Thanks for the input!
This may just be hearsay, but regarding CCF IMG's matching into great fellowships, I've heard that a lot of them are research superstars to begin with, so their situation when applying to fellowship may not be analogous to that of a USMD. I think I would still agree with the above poster at putting them at 2 or 3 though.
Yes I’ve heard that too so I did some research and saw that the USMD’s also match great felllowships so I’m not sure if this is completely true?

Can confirm. Their IMG residents are gods amongst men in terms of research portfolios. Hence why judging a program based on perceived prestige of fellowship match is a recipe for failure.

To OP's original question, I would move UAB up somewhere to 2-4 on GI match alone. However, if you didn't quite vibe with them, I don't see anythign wrong with your list as-is.

Can confirm. Their IMG residents are gods amongst men in terms of research portfolios. Hence why judging a program based on perceived prestige of fellowship match is a recipe for failure.

To OP's original question, I would move UAB up somewhere to 2-4 on GI match alone. However, if you didn't quite vibe with them, I don't see anythign wrong with your list as-is.
Would you put CCF lower then? I looked into the past few years and it seems like USMD’s also match great fellowships from CCF. Which is why I put it second.

And UAB vibes were off, you’re exactly right. I agree it’s better than some of my other programs though.

1. Michigan
3. Case
4. Wisconsin
5. Indiana
6. Iowa
7. Dartmouth
8. UAB
Not that you should care, but if it were my list (and it's not)
Michigan
Wisco/Iowa/UAB
Indy/Dartmouth/CCF
Case

My final rank order is the following:

1. Michigan
2. Northwestern
3. OSU
4. Case Western
5. CCF
6. Mayo
7. BIDMC
8. UPenn
9. Cornell

I'm ranking mostly based on proximity to home (midwest) and vibes. Planning to do cardiology. I don't really know the difference between the mid-tiers and top-tiers when it comes to fellowship match, as it seems that all of these programs match well. Does this order make sense based on my priorities?
If your priority is to be in the Midwest, then yes, ranking programs in the Midwest higher makes sense.

UNC v.s. UPMC main for #1 on ROL

Criteria:
Potential for Cards fellowships
City life - I've heard Chapel Hill be described as a college town that is otherwise quiet, not exactly fond of that description. Pittsburgh seems so cramped.
Race/Healthcare inequality issues - UNC had a slide in their interview day that addressed their history and while that was very progressive, the fact they felt they had to do that.....the resident panel I was assigned to was a group of white, petite, sorority girl types which was a very disheartening look into their diversity. Their pgy-1 class has <10 people of color in a 40+ program. Meanwhile UPMC has the "InHospitable" documentary that came out last September that has some damning (albiet one-sided) allegations.
Bump?

Pretty comparable programs as far as brand name and certainly no real limitations in fellowship potential. I might give slight edge to UNC. Chapel Hill is pretty charming and sits within the Research Triangle so you can get your fill of big city amenities. I can understand your concerns about the homogeneity of the housestaff though if that is a big enough turn-off to you to rank Pitt higher

I know this is last year's thread but does anyone know how to rank the UTennessee programs based on quality/fellowship match? Memphis, Knoxville, Chattanooga, Nashville

I know this is last year's thread but does anyone know how to rank the UTennessee programs based on quality/fellowship match? Memphis, Knoxville, Chattanooga, Nashville
I started a new thread for 2024 hope its not too early for that!

Status
Not open for further replies.