Help me select which schools to apply to!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mpasport

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I want to know how realistic and prudent the list I have assembled appears. Do I have a nice collection of hopeful, reasonable and likely schools? I'd love to have this number firmly in the 15-22 range. Right now I have 25.

Duke '07, Home state: NC
cGPA: 3.66 scienceGPA: 3.28 (Last 5 semesters cGPA was 3.9)
MCAT (11 P 10 V 15 B) 36S
Major: Theater Minor: Spanish and Chem
Clinical: 80 hours (Duke Hospital) Shadow: 50 hours (ortho, cardio)
Community Service: 500 + hours (Appalachian Service Project, local school, Duke dining service)
Research: 250 hours (1 publication upcoming)
3 non-science essays published
EC'S: 4 years Rugby, Founding Father of Fraternity Chapter, >40 plays/operas/dance concerts/voice recitals, 9 times dean's list with highest distinction; 3 time First year advisory Counselor for incoming class; was leader for incoming freshman class in Project Wild-- 2 week backpacking trip through Appalachian Mountains; all-state high school athlete; Highly Proficient Spanish
Study Abroad: Costa Rica, England, Madrid
Gap Years: I've spent the two years since I graduated acting professionally (and, whilst not acting, teaching MCAT prep for Kaplan). I've worked in some great roles for some pretty major theater companies post-graduation. A musical I was cast in last summer is planning on (economy willing) making the transition (cast intact) to Broadway this upcoming Winter.

Harvard
Columbia (or Cornell)
Duke
Baylor
Northwestern
University of California at San Francisco
U of Chicago
Southwestern at Dallas
Vanderbilt
Yeshiva (or Mount Sinai or NYU)
UNC
Wake
Georgetown
Miami
Ohio State
Boston U
University of Colorado at Denver
New York Medical College
SUNY Downstate
Drexel (or Temple or Jefferson Medical)
UIC (or Rush or Rosalind Franklin or Loyola)
San Antonio
Galveston
ECU
George Washington

Note: When colleges appear in parenthesis with the word "or" in front of them, it signifies that I am debating between all of the institutions on that given line. But I would likely only apply to one out of the group.

Addendum:
I have an interest in governmental health policy. I could easily foresee my engagement in this arena increasing as I age. Don't mistake me. I certainly want to practice medicine for a while. But governmental policy in health has always been a fascination of mine. Now, to the question: Are these interests merit enough to pursue a joint degree? If so, which is more conducive to becoming part of the proverbial policy making machine, an MPH-MD or and MBA-MD. I've heard adroit arguments for both sides, so I thought I would pose the question in a larger forum.

Members don't see this ad.

Status
Not open for further replies.