Help me!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sweetpie

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I finished my P1 year and unfortunately failed a class (with some circumstances). I am still enrolled in pharmacy school but I have to a repeat year. I don't know what to do. I am planning to repeat that class in a Fall semester and also reapplying in other pharmacy school.Can I apply to other pharmacy school while enrolled in the pharmacy school? I want to start fresh. My undergraduate gpa is great. I really have no idea what to do! I have to make my own decision in a week. Any suggestions??

Members don't see this ad.

I finished my P1 year and unfortunately failed a class (with some circumstances). I am still enrolled in pharmacy school but I have to a repeat year. I don't know what to do. I am planning to repeat that class in a Fall semester and also reapplying in other pharmacy school.Can I apply to other pharmacy school while enrolled in the pharmacy school? I want to start fresh. My undergraduate gpa is great. I really have no idea what to do! I have to make my own decision in a week. Any suggestions??

Why reapply? You're gonna waste more time if you reapply then if you just repeat the year.

I don't know. I feel like I won't able to do residency after failing the class.Instead of repeating a year, I would prefer to begin fresh and do my best. Plus, this whole thing made me so depressed. I don't want to give up on pharmacy. Now it's so hard for me to be in that school and seeing my colleagues in P2 when I get stuck in P1.

Members don't see this ad :)
Can you talk to the professor and explain your situation, they don't offer remedial classes at your school? You are just gonna have to stick with it and repeat the year, we have some students who did that too. Unless you wanna reapply, and pay more tuition, and what if you did not make it that year?

You really should not let the P2 thing be an obstacle. If they really care, they will help and support you, and if not, they do not mean anything, and should not affect your progress. Bad things happen, but dont let it take you down

I still can't decide what I should do. I am thinking to repeat the class in the fall. Is it a good decision?

I talked to the professor but I have to repeat a year. They won't let me take P2 classes. So basically I am taking 1 class in a fall and no classes in spring. It is very frustrating situation.

You could use the time to get some work experience in. You could also keep up with the P2 peeps and start teaching yourself the material. This way when your P2 year comes you will have a better grasp of the material. This will decrease the chance of failing again and make it easier to do an internship along with P2 year.

No one can decide if you will be able to get residency, its largely based on what you do for the next 4 years. It definitely doesn't help that you failed 1 year but it shouldn't matter if you go elsewhere because for most programs, you're supposed to report all of your school education to them.

I suggest you try your hardest and do well on the next 4 yrs, grades, extracurriculars, research, network, everything that can make you stand out for residency. Since you know residency is what you want, start working on those things early.

As for the fall year, since you failed a P1 class its hard to take any other "advanced" courses, I would get an internship if you don't have one, take that 1 class and review the previous courses in preparation for the 2nd year.

I failed the easiest class. I did well on other challenging classes. That makes me more sad and depressed. I know I have to send my pharmacy school transcripts but I can explain the situation why I failed the class. Right now I am focusing on retaking that class and doing volunteering at hospital pharmacy. Also, I am trying to involve in pharmacy groups. Is there any other good suggestion which may help me in future? THANKS TO ALL OF YOU. I REALLY APPRECIATE YOUR TIME AND SUGGESTIONS.

Sweetpie,

As has already been said try to speak with your professor about the grade first. If there is nothing that can be done then just forget about the grade and move forward. I wouldnt try getting into another school if i were you, just try to do well in the pharmacy school in which you are enrolled. Also dont be embarrassed that your first year didnt go well or that you will be held back a year, it happens to the best of us. When I was in pharmacy school, the way i looked at it was that so long as i am doing everything possible to be successful I will be able to look myself in the mirror every morning knowing that i did my best. This attitude will, if nothing else build character, and will help you keep your priorities in perspective. We all suffer setbacks, and although it may not seem like it at the moment but your situation happens to lots of people in pharmacy school and there is nothing to be embarrassed about. Finally look at the positives of the situation, you get to meet new people and may get a better understanding of the fundamentals of pharmacy if nothing else. Good Luck, and try not to dwell on the situation as it really is not as bad as it may seem at the moment.

I feel your pain Sweetpie. I went through the same ordeal. I spent the entire past summer in torture debating what to do. I also felt horrible thinking about the humility I would face when I see my old classmates on campus again. I ended up doing what my mother advised me to do. I went back and will be repeating another year. Not just the class that I failed, but all of the challenging classes as well. You've come so far as it is. Don't waste more time and money in applying to different schools. Your old school is still willing to take you back. You've already got your foot in the door there so use that to your advantage and just keep truckin' along. You've already taken that class once so there's some good side to that. Going to another school, if you get accepted with that mark on your transcript, doesn't necessarily mean that the classes are going to be any easier. A wise person once told me: Remember, it's not how many times you fall. It's how many times you get back on the horse.

Thanks! It's really difficult situation. I am retaking that class right now. Literally I am hiding from my old classmates. I don't have courage to face anyone. All people around me gave the same advice to continue the year rather than wasting more 2 years.

Believe it or not an exgirlfriend of mine failed THREE classes in Pharmacy school and just finished her second year of Residency in the field she wanted to get in to.

A couple take-home points from her journey: she finished strong, signed up for tough rotations, applied to a lot of programs for PGY-1 and did well on her Residency. It's still amazing it worked out, but just hang in there- you aren't just automatically screwed the rest of your career.

If you want to go the clinical route... try to utilize your free time to see if you can do some research with a professor, so you can become published, and increase your odds of a residency...

Thanks! It's really difficult situation. I am retaking that class right now. Literally I am hiding from my old classmates. I don't have courage to face anyone. All people around me gave the same advice to continue the year rather than wasting more 2 years.

No need to hide... At the end of the day, If you finish and get your PharmD that's all that matters. True friends will have your back.... all those that look at you differently I wouldn't worry about them.