help needed for clinical electives

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rolgar2009

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi -

I am a medical student in Europe, currently in the 5th year of my studies and have succesfully passed step 1 with a score of 270+.

I am interested in Internal Medicine and more specifically in Cardiology and I am considering applying for two months of elective rotations in the United States during next year. Here are two facts:

-I do not want to waste a fortune on these electives but I also want to apply to a well-regarded institution. Thus, Mayo Clinic appears to be a good choice, given that it charges no fees and covers the malpractice insurance. However, it offers only one-month electives.

-In case I finally decide to apply for a residency in the US, I would really love to live in a big city, despite the huuuge cost of living. New York would be great and I believe that a clerkship in eg. Cornell would boost my chances of matching. However, it charges 2000$ and the cost of living would further increase my expenses. The thing is I recently found out that my school also has an affiliation with John Hopkins, which also charges 1000+$. But I wouldn't dream of living in Baltimore (some of my friends study there and they tell me it's not really safe but the truth is i have never been there myself).

My question to you people who have lived and studied in the US is the following: Is a LOR from an institution like John Hopkins so much more important than a clerkship in a program you would potentially like to match to. Would a LOR from JHU be more valuable than one from Cornell? Also please keep in mind that I am interested in Internal Medicine. Anyway I know I still have a long way to go before being accepted but any advice is more than welcome.

Members don't see this ad.

I've yet to see any evidence that it is necessary to pay for a clinical elective for it to be a purposeful and meaningful rotation. The only difference I can see is that it reduces the number of applications by serving as a deterrent.

That being said, you want the best experience you can get with the most teaching and clinical patient care. I do not believe there is any difference between a letter from a faculty member at Cornell as compared to one at Johns Hopkins.

At this point in time, any discussion about where you would like to live during residency is exceedingly premature. US clinical experience in a variety of programs and locations will help bolster your application and give you and of appreciation of the practice of medicine in the United States.

I've yet to see any evidence that it is necessary to pay for a clinical elective for it to be a purposeful and meaningful rotation. The only difference I can see is that it reduces the number of applications by serving as a deterrent.

That being said, you want the best experience you can get with the most teaching and clinical patient care. I do not believe there is any difference between a letter from a faculty member at Cornell as compared to one at Johns Hopkins.

At this point in time, any discussion about where you would like to live during residency is exceedingly premature. US clinical experience in a variety of programs and locations will help bolster your application and give you and of appreciation of the practice of medicine in the United States.
Is it always better to do electives at programs that you want to match into for residency?

Between a foreign school that allows me to do 2-3 electives in the US AT PLACES I'D LIKE TO MATCH IN vs. Another foreign school that allows me to do 2 whole years of rotations in the US, which one is better for match purpose?

Members don't see this ad :)
Is it always better to do electives at programs that you want to match into for residency?

Between a foreign school that allows me to do 2-3 electives in the US AT PLACES I'D LIKE TO MATCH IN vs. Another foreign school that allows me to do 2 whole years of rotations in the US, which one is better for match purpose?
It's a double edged sword.

What applicants don't seem to realize is that it's easy to blow it during these electives. If you're the kind of person that looks fabulous on paper but less so in person, or possesses some unfortunate behavioral traits that tend toward the annoying, you may find that rotating at programs where you wish to do residency ends up making you less palatable of an applicant.

This sort of thing is not, in my opinion, worth the effort you're putting into it to decide on your future medical school. Doing two full years in the United States gives you a lot of exposure to the US medicine however it may come at the expense of quality education. It is not necessary to spend two full years here to match however you should not assume that you will match at programs where you've done a elective rotation.

Finally I think it's way too early for you to be discussing where you would like to do your residency.

Reactions: 1 user
It's a double edged sword.

What applicants don't seem to realize is that it's easy to blow it during these electives. If you're the kind of person that looks fabulous on paper but less so in person, or possesses some unfortunate behavioral traits that tend toward the annoying, you may find that rotating at programs where you wish to do residency ends up making you less palatable of an applicant.

This sort of thing is not, in my opinion, worth the effort you're putting into it to decide on your future medical school. Doing two full years in the United States gives you a lot of exposure to the US medicine however it may come at the expense of quality education. It is not necessary to spend two full years here to match however you should not assume that you will match at programs where you've done a elective rotation.

Finally I think it's way too early for you to be discussing where you would like to do your residency.
Thanks.
Could you clarify why doing 2 full years in the US might come at the expense of quality education?

Ps: Ireland schools let you do 2-3 electives. Australia school (U of Queensland) lets you do 2 full years.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks.
Could you clarify why doing 2 full years in the US might come at the expense of quality education?

Ps: Ireland schools let you do 2-3 electives. Australia school lets you do 2 full years.
Because in the case of some schools, those two years spent in the US are at subpar programs. This may often be the case with Caribbean schools; I can't say the same about the Australian program.

smallhospital.jpg

Reactions: 1 user
Omg where did you find that? People not saying Johns is one my pet peeves! (And no, I did not go to Hopkins)