Help Needed! You're all stunning.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bangs McCoy

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I hope that title grabbed your attention. You are stunning, is that a new shirt? Can you provide some assistance/advice?

In the briefest of ways, here is my situation:
  • Graduated in 2010 with a BA in Theatre - 3.5 GPA, cum laude, lots of service/volunteering
  • Took Chem I & II /Physics I & II in 2011 post-bacc made B's and B+'s. Worked full-time in research, burnt out, and was pretty depressed from it all. My post-bacc is known for being a real ball buster.
  • Took one semester of Bio made a C- and withdrew from Orgo. Sucky semester, decided to pull back and regroup to save $ and find a new job.
  • Fall semester looms and I am financially and mentally capable of doing well. I want to re-take Bio and Orgo and think I can do very well in both. I was actually really good at Orgo, but the workload and stress with my previous job was overwhelming. I currently hold a much more relaxed and less stressful hospital job.
So my question is three-fold:
  1. Should I finish my post-bacc this year and take the MCAT 2015? Will schools look down on my first bad bio grade and my 1.5 years off? I got some splainin' to do...
  2. According to my class description, I may not need the first semester of biochem as recommended by the MCAT prep guide, BUT should I take it for a GPA boost regardless?
  3. I could take these classes at a lower cost community college but will that look worse than simply finishing the 4 classes left at my current post-bacc?
I want to be the most prepared as possible for the future application process. While I really don't mind MD or DO, I want to make a well-informed choice this academic year. I should've really considered the post-bacc further in my undergrad, but it had a reputation for greatness. Unfortunately, I should've listened to Rate My Professor and friends and stuck with what I knew :(

I appreciate it, Happy Friday!

Members don't see this ad.

I hope that title grabbed your attention. You are stunning, is that a new shirt? Can you provide some assistance/advice?

In the briefest of ways, here is my situation:
  • Graduated in 2010 with a BA in Theatre - 3.5 GPA, cum laude, lots of service/volunteering
  • Took Chem I & II /Physics I & II in 2011 post-bacc made B's and B+'s. Worked full-time in research, burnt out, and was pretty depressed from it all. My post-bacc is known for being a real ball buster.
  • Took one semester of Bio made a C- and withdrew from Orgo. Sucky semester, decided to pull back and regroup to save $ and find a new job.
  • Fall semester looms and I am financially and mentally capable of doing well. I want to re-take Bio and Orgo and think I can do very well in both. I was actually really good at Orgo, but the workload and stress with my previous job was overwhelming. I currently hold a much more relaxed and less stressful hospital job.
So my question is three-fold:
  1. Should I finish my post-bacc this year and take the MCAT 2015? Will schools look down on my first bad bio grade and my 1.5 years off? I got some splainin' to do...
  2. According to my class description, I may not need the first semester of biochem as recommended by the MCAT prep guide, BUT should I take it for a GPA boost regardless?
  3. I could take these classes at a lower cost community college but will that look worse than simply finishing the 4 classes left at my current post-bacc?
I want to be the most prepared as possible for the future application process. While I really don't mind MD or DO, I want to make a well-informed choice this academic year. I should've really considered the post-bacc further in my undergrad, but it had a reputation for greatness. Unfortunately, I should've listened to Rate My Professor and friends and stuck with what I knew :(

I appreciate it, Happy Friday!
Taking them at CC's is looked down upon by some, but many people have gotten into medical school with CC pre-reqs, so it isn't an automatic application killer, and should be considered if you have compelling reasons to do so. In general, a 4-year will always "look better."

Definitely re-take the Bio, and get A's in everything. Take biochem and any other upper-level sciences you can handle and do well in, since you want to get your sGPA as high as possible. Biochem is especially good for MCAT prep, preparing for medical school, demonstrating an ability to succeed in a upper-level course, etc. I would recommend microbiology, cell biology (if there is an upper level beyond the basic pre-req), possibly genetics. Others will help your GPA as well, of course.

You may be asked about your slow start with the pre-reqs, but a single C- probably won't be too strongly focused on by adcoms. I would be more concerned with your overall sGPA and how high you can raise it.

If you can really get enough A's to bring your sGPA up to a 3.5, and your cGPA is a ~3.5 as well, there is no reason to not apply to MD schools along with DO.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you seeker, that's some really solid advice. I agree about the CC and the upper division courses (which I'd hardly thought of).

Much appreciated!

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd actually say with mediocre grades in a post-bacc already you should definitely not do community college courses as it may look like you had to flee to an easier environment (regardless of the actual rigor of community college courses; speaking only to perception here). Stay with 4-year institutions. The situation would be different if you were a complete career-changer without any science classes already. You also definitely need to retake the Bio, as you're planning, because many schools won't allow C-'s for prereqs.

If you feel mentally prepared and think you can correct the missteps you made in the past then go for it and good luck!

Last edited:
Hi There,

#1) If you applying for MD - then the C will show up on your cumulative GPA, but if you can get an A in it the 2nd time around - that would be great. You are a non-traditional student, so the 1.5 years off might take some explaining. But if anything, it gives you an opportunity to display maturity and self-evaluation.
#2) I would take biochem even if it isn't required. For two reasons, #1 it WILL help you on the MCAT. and #2 many schools have biochem as a requirement or suggested course for admission. (see http://www.swarthmore.edu/Documents/slife/pre_med/Advanced_Science_Requirements.pdf)
#3) Finish them at your current post-bacc, many schools will not take CC science units (some of them state that in their requirements, and others might not state it).

Why thank you, the shirt is a year old, but the heels are new....you must have noticed those ;)

Biochem is a good thing to take, I strongly recommend taking that class. It will help with MCAT, school, GPA etc.

I understand the CC dilemma. They are cheaper, we often need cheaper, but many schools do not like CC courses and will state that in a much more professional tone on their website. You can always call them and ask. Your situation is different than mine. My undergrad is done and I need to take some science prereqs and I really have to use a CC for various reasons whereas you are already in a situation to take those prereqs right where you are and if you change to CC it may appear as if you ran away.

Hi there! Your story sounds so familiar, I had to chime in: I was a music major, and I took 5 years off. I did start out college pre-med and couldn't cut it: got exactly the same grades as you (C- in biology, withdrew from chemistry). I did a post-bacc after graduation and got similar grades to what you're getting, except I aced bio and chemistry that year.

My advice would be, as others have said, just retake those two courses at a four-year institution and ace them. After that, it should be no problem if you're applying to the right schools. Does your post-bacc allow for time for you to retake courses? If not, does your state school have classes you can take? Also, don't worry about having taken time off before starting school again. If you have an interesting story about it, I really believe it's hugely beneficial in helping you stand out from the crowd.

Secondly, taking biochemistry in advance is pretty useful, but I found that what we learned when I was taking it as an undergrad was covered in only a week's time in med school, so it's not crucial. Many schools (including mine) do require it before matriculation, however. Definitely better to be on the safe side. Same can be said for statistics.

Good luck!