HELP!! New medic seeking education opportunities...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PA or DO?

• PA

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • DO

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MedicDW

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all!
I just became a medic less than a year ago. After medic school, I realized I want to do more than just being a medic.

Here's my background....I'm 27yo. I earned my B.A. in Administration of Justice 4 years ago, graduated with a 2.crap GPA (party a little too hard in college). I'm currently working on my M.S. in disaster medicine (9 credits/$6400 into the program so far, way too expensive I know). And of course, I just finished medic school last year.

Now I'm considering going to either PA school or DO school. I know with my 2.crap GPA, getting into PA school will be difficult and even more difficult for DO. I have my mind set to accomplish either one by going back to undergrad and take all my science courses.

here's a list my questions...
Should I just take science courses? going for my second degree in science?

Is my resume/academic background too weak to improve for DO?

Any recommendation??

Hope someone in this forum has similar situation...
Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

With a 2.x GPA I don't know were you can go really..I don't think they'd even accept you into a nursing program, let alone PA or DO....

If you're not happy with your paramedic status, try to expand from the least invasive point. Ever thought about becoming a flight paramedic?

Is that disaster medicine program all online? I've heard of it, I think a few people at my shop looked into it. How do you like it, other than the cost? I find it intrigeing however after DART, CERT, NERT, HAZWOPER etc and a bunch of other FEMA junk certs I simply can't deal with anymore FEMA classes for the time being ;) I am FEMA'd out!

What sciences classes have you done so far, if any? A&P? Micro? Chem?

Anyways, I'd say without much other info to go on, here is your strategy guide for the time being:
- get a job as a medic in a high volume, urban area
- work a lot of shifts, SAVE YOUR MONEY bank lots of OT and also most importantly work your way up and take on a leadership role/FTO
- get teaching credentials, teach ACLS, PALS, PEEP, PHTLS, CPRHCP... etc
- volunteering, civic responsibility, community services. and not just all healthcare stuff- do some stuff like coaching a kids team, or soup kitchen, etc... whatever you're interested in.
- simultaneously take CC science classes like A&P, Micro, Chem 1 & 2, solidify your math background if you haven't already (alll the way from the basics! seriously, start at pre-algebra if you have to...). Also do a stats class
- all of the above steps should make you a competitive candidate for a PA program ESPECIALLY if you 4.0 the science classes from here out. Also it would be a decent foundation if you decide you'd rather pursue DO

Good luck and cheers
Beandip aka medic44 :)

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Of course I understand that 2.x GPA is not going get me into PA school and that is why I am redoing undergrad for another B.S. AND M.S. for GPA booster.

My girlfriend got into RN program with a high school diploma so I am a little offended by that statement. :p

Yes I did consider flight medic and it does sound like fun. However, most air medical services require at least 5 years experience plus FPC and CCEMTP certificate. With the same amount of time, I can easily complete my second undergrad degree with a relax schedule AND complete PA master program. Of course it's going to come with a price tag.

If I can't get into a PA program then I will try flight medic route. But I'll not give up my dream to become a PA, or even DO. The worst I can do is to give up before I even try, right?

Last edited:
Is that disaster medicine program all online? I've heard of it, I think a few people at my shop looked into it. How do you like it, other than the cost? I find it intrigeing however after DART, CERT, NERT, HAZWOPER etc and a bunch of other FEMA junk certs I simply can't deal with anymore FEMA classes for the time being ;) I am FEMA'd out!

What sciences classes have you done so far, if any? A&P? Micro? Chem?

Anyways, I'd say without much other info to go on, here is your strategy guide for the time being:
- get a job as a medic in a high volume, urban area
- work a lot of shifts, SAVE YOUR MONEY bank lots of OT and also most importantly work your way up and take on a leadership role/FTO
- get teaching credentials, teach ACLS, PALS, PEEP, PHTLS, CPRHCP... etc
- volunteering, civic responsibility, community services. and not just all healthcare stuff- do some stuff like coaching a kids team, or soup kitchen, etc... whatever you're interested in.
- simultaneously take CC science classes like A&P, Micro, Chem 1 & 2, solidify your math background if you haven't already (alll the way from the basics! seriously, start at pre-algebra if you have to...). Also do a stats class
- all of the above steps should make you a competitive candidate for a PA program ESPECIALLY if you 4.0 the science classes from here out. Also it would be a decent foundation if you decide you'd rather pursue DO

Good luck and cheers
Beandip aka medic44 :)

Hey Beandip,

It is an online program and I really like it. It is nothing like FEMA classes. As a matter of fact, the course get you to think outside FEMA's "one plan fits all" approach. It doesn't preach the gospel of NRF, NIMS, ICS... haha. It definitely changed my understanding and concept of disaster management. I would recommend taking a 9 credit graduate certificate program instead if you are really interested.

I do have some science classes done years ago but those grades were either B or C. I'll probably have to redo them all anyway.

I am trying to do some volunteering work with the little free time I have. But I am not sure if volunteer as a firefighter and state medical assistance team counts toward anything on my application? I have been doing that for over 10 years.

Getting instructor certifications sound like a great idea!

I just signed up for a B.S. Biology program at a state university starting next spring... and I'm in the process of applying for student loan for this program. I just found out financial aid is hard to find for second degree :( I'm not sure if it's true but I was told that I should stay away from community college courses if I want to boost my GPA? Any thought on that?

Last edited:
you could look into some post-bacc programs. you will be able to finish something like that a lot quicker than getting another bachelors. some of the DO schools will guarantee an interview if you successfully complete their post-bacc. just another option to think about.

joeDO2, Thanks for your suggestion. I just looked up several post-bacc "pre-med/pre-DO" programs in Pennsylvania. All of them appear to be designed for non-science grad with excellent GPA... Which basically not for me. Sigh... The more I look, the more discouraging it gets.

I pm'd you with a couple specific questions about your program. I'm moving in a different direction these days (more medicine, less EMS) but you have piqued my interest :cool:

As far as volunteering, the FF is a good one for your ap, however I think a great benefit of volunteering is to highlight how well-rounded and interesting your are (because you are, RIGHT?! ;) ....) so FF is kinda... in the same vein as the rest of the stuff you're already doing (medic, disaster management, etc). So it would be really beneficial if you could do something totally different from that kinda stuff. Balance you out a bit. Kids, animals, homeless, or old people, dude ;) I kid, but you get the idea... Also it doesn't have to be a LOT, even just go walk dogs at your local shelter 1x a month. Heck, bring your gf and made it a date.

Based on your posts (no offense here if this comes out blunt) I feel like you're... too scattered all over the place right now and not on a good track because you're trying to do too much at once and it all seems like different type of goals in mind. You're paying out the nose for a MS in disaster med AND just signed up for a BS in biology? What exactly is the MS in disaster med supposed to help you do? Work as a medic? Get a job as a firefighter?

First, I think you need to soul-search and decide if PA or DO is your ultimate goal. PA schools don't like to be "back ups" for failed MDs (which... a lot of people use them for, lol... but anyways). So it would be best to decide what you think is your top choice, best fit for you and your life and then head towards that. If you decide you would like to be a PA, doing your pre-recs at a CC would be fine.

What's the price difference between the state university and the community college? By the way, if your science classes are NOT re-takes of the exact same class, then CC should be okay anyways. Finally, how long do you have left on that masters degree?

I pm'd you with a couple specific questions about your program. I'm moving in a different direction these days (more medicine, less EMS) but you have piqued my interest :cool:

As far as volunteering, the FF is a good one for your ap, however I think a great benefit of volunteering is to highlight how well-rounded and interesting your are (because you are, RIGHT?! ;) ....) so FF is kinda... in the same vein as the rest of the stuff you're already doing (medic, disaster management, etc). So it would be really beneficial if you could do something totally different from that kinda stuff. Balance you out a bit. Kids, animals, homeless, or old people, dude ;) I kid, but you get the idea... Also it doesn't have to be a LOT, even just go walk dogs at your local shelter 1x a month. Heck, bring your gf and made it a date.

Based on your posts (no offense here if this comes out blunt) I feel like you're... too scattered all over the place right now and not on a good track because you're trying to do too much at once and it all seems like different type of goals in mind. You're paying out the nose for a MS in disaster med AND just signed up for a BS in biology? What exactly is the MS in disaster med supposed to help you do? Work as a medic? Get a job as a firefighter?

First, I think you need to soul-search and decide if PA or DO is your ultimate goal. PA schools don't like to be "back ups" for failed MDs (which... a lot of people use them for, lol... but anyways). So it would be best to decide what you think is your top choice, best fit for you and your life and then head towards that. If you decide you would like to be a PA, doing your pre-recs at a CC would be fine.

What's the price difference between the state university and the community college? By the way, if your science classes are NOT re-takes of the exact same class, then CC should be okay anyways. Finally, how long do you have left on that masters degree?

Got your PM! Like yourself, I changed career path quite a few times in the past several years. I signed up for the MS program almost 2 years ago before I went for my medic. It was one of those "doing-something-is-better-than-doing-nothing" decisions. I completed 9 credits for the program and I'm ready to wrap it up for just a graduate certificate instead. I know 2 years and 9 credits sounds very little but I took 6 credits prior to my medic class, took a break during medic class and I just finished my 9th credit. Plus I have to shell out $2600/ class out of pocket.

I guess with my counseling experience I'd probably volunteer with kids stuff... As much as I love pets and animals, I have horrible pet allergies. :laugh:

In my area (pennsylvania), $100-$150/credit at my local community college and $550 at pennsylvania state. So 40 credits of sciences classes add up quite a bit. But then again, for another 10-20 credits I can get a biology degree at the state and brand new (and hopefully much better) uGPA.

PA or DO... after comments and feedback from this forum, considering my academic background and age, PA is more like a goal, and DO is more like a "dream". And I am more than happy to just accomplish a goal instead chasing a dream. :oops:

With a 2.x GPA I don't know were you can go really..I don't think they'd even accept you into a nursing program, let alone PA or DO....

If you're not happy with your paramedic status, try to expand from the least invasive point. Ever thought about becoming a flight paramedic?

This was not constructive at all. "Forget your dreams and settle because you screwed your life up beyond repair." If you have no insight how to reach his goals then why offer any at all? DO schools honor grade replacement unlike their allopathic counterparts. What this means is if you get a C in orgo, retake it and get an A, the DO adcoms will only weigh the A in your GPA. Allopathic merely average the original C with the retake A thus giving you a B.

To the OP, I've read on here that many medical schools don't value a masters as much as one would think because the grading is separate from undergrad. If I were you I'd drop that program and enroll in a post-bacc ASAP that covers all the pre-med courses.

PA or DO... after comments and feedback from this forum, considering my academic background and age, PA is more like a goal, and DO is more like a "dream". And I am more than happy to just accomplish a goal instead chasing a dream. :oops:

OP this is not true. If you want to be a physician than go be one. Like I said in my previous post you can theoretically retake every class you received less than an A in and use the new GPA for admissions. The opportunity is out there if you want it bad enough. Don't let the trolls of SDN bring you down.

If you'd be happy as a PA then that's great. But do it because its what you want, not because you think DO is off the table. Its only off the table if you want it to be. Good luck on your path my friend.

If you dream it, then go for it!

I am a lot older than you, and I am working on applying for med school this year.

When I was in undergrad, my wife and I had our first kid. I put my medical school dream on hold and went for the easiest way to earn a good wage, with good security, that I could find. I became a high school science teacher. That was 18 years ago. Now my youngest kid is graduating from high school and I am dreaming once again of becoming a physician. The most important part for me is that my family is very supportive. I currently have 4 interviews scheduled at DO schools, and am waiting to hear back from MD schools because my AMCAS primary was submitted later than my AACOMAS primary.

If I can score some interviews, so can you.

It will be a lot of work for you. Remember, grade replacement! Do an informal post-back, and take at least some of your classes at the CC level (it is a bunch cheaper, and if they are not the pre-reques then nobody cares.)

Start with all the classes you earned a C or lower in. Writing classes, math classes, psychology classes, even PE classes if needed. Work on getting A's in all those classes you did poorly in, and watch your GPA come up to the magic level of 3.5+ Once all the lower classes have been "fixed" then work on some of your B grades, especially in the science area.

You can even take some of the pre-reques at the CC. Math, General Bio, General Chem, General Physics. But make sure you take Organic chem and a few upper division bio classes at the university level. Prove to AdComs that you can handle a difficult load of university science classes, because that is what med-school is like.

All the while make sure you shadow several DOs for long-term. Not just once or twice, but 50+ hours EACH. Let them know your plan, take their advice, and have them write LORs. It is imperative that you have at least one DO letter for most schools.

Your route is not impossible, but it will be difficult, and expensive. DON'T GIVE UP.

dsoz

Thank you all for the advices. I decided to go back to undergrad. There is no post-bacc program in my area, the closest one is at least 2 hours drive away. Now I have a dilemma; should I go back to PSU where I graduated, or go to a smaller in-state university where it cost only half of what PSU charges and a new GPA?