Help Out Someone early in this process

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FutureDoc4

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I originally posted this in the pre-allo forum but I figured posting it in this area of the discussion forum where most of you have been through this process already could be more advantageous. I appreciate all input thanks!

Let me start off please no flaming... def don't need it or want it.. read on at your own risk.

Here's my situation... I got a academic full ride at my state school (one of the allopathic UMDNJs)...I realize that I will not likely be receiving any aid at other schools, as financially my family disqualifies me from any... however, I will be paying for medical school myself (both my parents will help as they can/want)

I am currently holding a bunch of wait list at "high tier" (whatever that means in this process) at Columbia, Cornell, MSSM etc. And I was wondering what I would do if past May 15th I get pulled off one of these waitlists and I have a short time to make a decision. Based on my personality I BELIEVE (but who really knows as of now) that I want to match into a more competitive specialty such as Derm.

I understand this is a hypothetical situation (but from what I understand once you get pulled off a wait list after May15th you have very little time to decide). I was hoping for some opinions about whether or not attend the "higher tier" school of stick with the full ride... I have ALREADY looked at the match list for some of the more competitive specialties but its tough to discern anything .... especially when you are unsure about specialty....

Further clarification, I really do like the state school, in particular the philosophy and the students.... I guess I am just worried about being LIMITED IN CHOICES, in particular specialties by which medical school I choose. Thanks in advance.

P.S. I do understand Step I scores and other things such as AOA play a significant role. I guess I am wondering the implications of the choice of medical school.

Members don't see this ad.

A "higher-tier" school would certainly open more doors for you in any specialty provided you had the same stats as you did at the "lower-tier" school.

That being said, I don't think anyone would tell you to give up the free ride at the lower-tier school because you'd be limited in choices come application time.

I'd take the free ride as Step 1 scores, AOA status, 3rd year grades, and LORs ultimately count more than the namesake of your school.

Congrats on getting a full ride! That's really awesome!

It's a difficult choice you have to make -- one I certainly don't envy. I'm a student at one of the "top tier" schools you listed (you can IM me if you want the inside scoop). I don't know much about UMDNJ so I can't really compare the different schools for you, but I can tell you that I've been very disappointed with my school so far. I ended up choosing the brand name over another school that was much less prestigious but probably would have been a better fit. Although I'll graduate with the pedigree, I do wonder a lot about whether I'd be happier at that school and how my performance in school would have differed. I know a lot of my classmates feel the same way. I've had a lot of conversations with other people who wish they would have followed their instincts instead of USNews. Of course, this is much easier said then done.

In all honesty, you will be able to go into any specialty you want from UMDNJ, as long as you do well. That is the big caveat. It's difficult to predict who will do well in med school and who won't...it's a completely different beast than undergrad. Because of that, you may not perform as well as you wanted to, and unfortunately, that will probably hurt you more at UMDNJ than at Columbia or Cornell. I'm not saying this to scare you, but it is something to consider. Having said that, I truly believe that you will do your best at the school where you are the happiest. If you love UMDNJ and think you will be happy there, then you will probably do much better academically there than if you choose one of the other schools due to its name -- even though you may not like it as much. Of course, you might be happiest at one of the Ivies. Who knows?

I would heavily lean towards going to UMDNJ w/ the full-ride, but only you can make the best decision for yourself. Good luck!