Help people and advance science with little to no personal time commitment

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bwells46

MD, MPH, MSM
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm sure some of you are aware of what Folding@Home is. For those of you who do not know, I'll explain it.

Folding@Home is a distributed computing effort with the goal of better understanding how proteins fold. This information can potentially be used to understand disease processes and develop new and innovative treatmentsfor such diseases as Alzheimer's, Mad Cow (BSE), CJD, ALS, and Parkinson's. All it requires from you are spare CPU cycles from your PC.

By running Folding@Home on your PC, you are contributing to a world-wide scientific effort with realistic goals. It requires no time at all from you except the time to download and install the application. After it's installed, you'll never even know it's there.

To learn more about Folding@Home and to download the program, please visit http://folding.stanford.edu/.

Finally, I'd be remiss if I didn't plug the Folding team I'm part of :D - http://www.hardfolding.com/index.php?go=2

Members don't see this ad.

R u allow to plug stuff like that? i thought if its not a sponsor of SDN, then it shouldn't be here.

Btw, can you imagine how much money this group is saving by using home users' computers. And also the fame they can get by publishing papers w/ theoretic protein conformations?

AxlxA said:
R u allow to plug stuff like that? i thought if its not a sponsor of SDN, then it shouldn't be here.

Btw, can you imagine how much money this group is saving by using home users' computers. And also the fame they can get by publishing papers w/ theoretic protein conformations?
OK, the last two threads I have read have had you on it pointing fingers going "nyah nyah, teacher look, Johnny is doing something wrong." Why don't you calm down, relax, and let the monitors worry about what can and can not be posted on here.

In defense of this particular project, there are many projects (eg SETI at home) that rely on the combined computing power of many computers not as a means of saving money, but as a function of the fact that many computers working together can process more raw data than a single computer alone.

Sometimes I am concerned that when (if) I get into medical school, it is going to be filled with some of the people on SDN.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, I folded for a while, I don't know if I have it installed now, but I will install. The team I was on is like #11 or something. (SAGoons)

AxlxA said:

I didn't see anything wrong with talking about a project that could benefit literally millions of people. Also, the group is a not-for-profit 501(c)3 so I didn't see a problem with it. I'm sure if there is a problem, the moderators will remove my post.

Flopotomist said:
Sometimes I am concerned that when (if) I get into medical school, it is going to be filled with some of the people on SDN.

I would be more worried about this if there weren't so many posts on here asking things like whether they can get in with a 15 MCAT or how quickly they can buy that Bentley if they specialize in derm. :) I seriously doubt SDN is a representative group -- based on the number of users, the pre-allo board can only be but a percent or less of total matriculants each year.

Law2Doc said:
I would be more worried about this if there weren't so many posts on here asking things like whether they can get in with a 15 MCAT or how quickly they can buy that Bentley if they specialize in derm. :) I seriously doubt SDN is a representative group -- based on the number of users, the pre-allo board can only be but a percent or less of total matriculants each year.

Wow - could you even hold a stethoscope and not dribble out the side of your mouth with a 15 MCAT? :laugh:

Seriously, if you get a 15 then you're either not trying or you have some medical condition like dyslexia that makes it tougher for you.

bwells46 said:
Wow - could you even hold a stethoscope and not dribble out the side of your mouth with a 15 MCAT? :laugh:

Seriously, if you get a 15 then you're either not trying or you have some medical condition like dyslexia that makes it tougher for you.
Yeah, I exaggerated the number a bit in an effort not to hurt the feelings of anyone with what I would personally consider too low a score (you can easilly find the many low score threads on SDN if you want) -- but you get my point.

Law2Doc said:
Yeah, I exaggerated the number a bit in an effort not to hurt the feelings of anyone with what I would personally consider too low a score (you can easilly find the many low score threads on SDN if you want) -- but you get my point.

Yeah - the lowest score I've ever known someone to have who got accepted was a 26.

Matt_McClure said:
Yeah, I folded for a while, I don't know if I have it installed now, but I will install. The team I was on is like #11 or something. (SAGoons)

Why hello good goon. :)

Law2Doc said:
There seem to be some on MDApplicants.com with 19... Could be fakes, though.

It could be real. Was the medical school's name Hollywood Upstairs Medical College?